The midfield who will replace Peter Bell

Remove this Banner Ad

bob

Draftee
Jan 12, 2001
Vic
I believe that if North is to have any sucess next year they need to look at the midfield setup.Here are some obversations

Harvey: Great find over the last two year, the only real midfielder with pace that gets the ball. But cannot kick on his left side

Simpson: Great overhead for his size with real stamina.But disposal lets himself down

Grant : Probably the most skillful midfielder, but lacks pace and agression to be a real impact player

Stevens: Great player in the past, but has injuries taken their toll

So it maybe a chance for the younger guys to come through.I would like to see pickett or motlop play there. They probably lack the fitness required but they have the vision and agression

Bell's departure creates an opening for someone like Brady Rawlings to step up. With 2 yrs and about 15 games behind him I doubt if he will get a better opportunity than now.

Croode

What about Jess Sinclair I think he will be able to take over from Peter Bell (it used to be Belly till he left, just a little more formal now) and I believe Jess is taking this chance like it is his last breath as he knows that it could well be his last chance, also he is just a little fish in a big pond now, a position he hasnt been in for most of his life, I think this will be a true turning point for Jess, providing of course he can stay injury free, I saw him play twice at the MCG against us, the first time he hurt his shoulder and the next he was carried off on a stretcher I think he started his career with a broken thumb, heres hoping anyway.

Originally posted by bob:

Stevens was best and fairest in our premiership year in 1999, and his only major injury wasn't caused on the football field. Looking for a replacement for Peter Bell? Look no further than the guy in the number 10 jumper.

Onto Sinclair, I remember one game he played against us in late 1998. We slaughtered Freo, and so, a few of us fans were casting an eye over which Freo player we should poach. Myself and one or two others liked the look of Sinclair, so if he can stay injury free and follow the Pagan program for career ressurection, we will hopefully ensure a few more red faces over at the Shockers.

Sinclair is not used to coming second if you know what I mean he likes to be number one,always came first in the swimming comps always best on ground in the football games, always the best cricketer and always won the tennis tournaments , he was always going to be the one who you were going to hear more about, so far he has not lived up to expectations but he certainly has the drive and he certainly has not shown his full potential to date, I think he had a little holiday when he went to Perth it is his kind of town and I believe he is looking at going back when he finishes his football, lets hope he doesnt do what Bell did to us.

[This message has been edited by Daphne (edited 12 January 2001).]

Harvey: Great find over the last two year, the only real midfielder with pace that gets the ball. But cannot kick on his left side

Simpson: Great overhead for his size with real stamina.But disposal lets himself down

Grant : Probably the most skillful midfielder, but lacks pace and agression to be a real impact player

Bob,
I would add;
Grant - Disposal is poor on occasions, although he has the necessary skills.

Stevens - Disposal is amongst the worst at the club.

Bell - Disposal was shithouse.

Beginning to see a pattern here are we ?

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

[B

[/B]

Stevo is still a great player and probably will go down as one of our greatest. He has been relatively injury free over his career. Stevens only problem is that he is getting older, and we need some of the younger guys to come up and help him out. Depending on how he is recovering from his freak injury and the effect it has on him, I reckon he definitely would have a couple of really good years left in him.

Originally posted by croode:
Bell's departure creates an opening for someone like Brady Rawlings to step up. With 2 yrs and about 15 games behind him I doubt if he will get a better opportunity than now.

Croode

I'm not all that convinced whether Rawlings will be a regular player this year. But you are right, the opportunity is definitely there for him. Hopefully he takes it..

Originally posted by Carey_is_King:
Bob,
I would add;
Grant - Disposal is poor on occasions, although he has the necessary skills.

Stevens - Disposal is amongst the worst at the club.

Bell - Disposal was shithouse.

Beginning to see a pattern here are we ?

CIK,
In your opinion, does anyone at the club have any skill?. You must wonder in amazement on how the roos managed to win 2 premieships in the 90's.

The midfielders have s**t disposal.
The key defenders are a liability.
The team list has no depth.
Pickett is too loose.
Harvey doesn't perform in big games.
Grant isn't worthy of a norm smith.
McKernan....well he's just not worthy!

It can't all be attributed to Carey.
You are way too hard on our players.

Here! Here! Cup Half Full

------------------
If you see me getting mighty,
If you see me getting high,
Knock me down,
I'm not bigger than Life

R.H.C.P.

Originally posted by Cup_Half_Full:
CIK,
In your opinion, does anyone at the club have any skill?. You must wonder in amazement on how the roos managed to win 2 premieships in the 90's.

The midfielders have s**t disposal.
The key defenders are a liability.
The team list has no depth.
Pickett is too loose.
Harvey doesn't perform in big games.
Grant isn't worthy of a norm smith.
McKernan....well he's just not worthy!

It can't all be attributed to Carey.
You are way too hard on our players.

CHF,

I will deal with your first statement last if I may.

I stand by my contention that our midfield has poor disposal skills (including Bell). It is there for all to see.

I have said that Mick is getting older and slower - Do you doubt that ? I think it is a statement of fact.
I have also said that Mack was a liability up until last year. Correct me if I am wrong.

Please show me the depth in our list. By everyone's selections in other posts, we have at least 2 of our young recruits in the best 25 players.

Both Pickett & Archer are as loose as Grandma's bloomers. They make up for that by reading the play well, particularly Pickett, but it doesn't alter the facts.

I have never said Harvey does not perform in big games, in fact I doubt I have even mentioned Harvey in any post. I am a fan.

I have made my thoughts known on Grant previously so I won't go over them. Soft is the word that comes to mind. (In my humble opinion, Pickett was the most deserving winner of the Norm Smith Medal in 1999.)

McKernan is worthy of a book. He is the most overpaid and underperformed player in the AFL, bar none. (See reference to follow)

Can it all be attributed to Carey ? Of course not, he only wins 4-5 games a year single handed. That would have been enough to ensure we finished in the lower part of the eight last year. Maybe even out of the eight, I am too lazy to check the numbers.
I know we are not a one man team, and I have a great deal of time for players like Stevens, Pickett, Archer, Mick and co, but I am not blind to their faults either.

Now, your first point.
The team that won the 1996 flag is so different to that which we have today, it almost bears no comparison, but I do not see where we have covered players like Schwass, Fairley, Roberts, Laidley, Sholl & Allison.
Furthermore, we were gone for all money until Freeborn kicked 3 on the trot and virtually took the initiative away from the Swans. And, of course, Corey. We all know his '96 season was outstanding, and his GF was very good. That's why we won the 96GF - against a fairly mediocre opposition, I must say.

The '99 flag was a blessing, since we had to play Carlton (not Essendon) and we were always going to beat them. They were not good enough. However 8 players from that team are no longer playing for us, so it is not relevant to the current team in many ways.
We have won 2 flags because of;

1996- Carey, McKernan, Freeborn.
One not with us now and the other not firing.

1999- Carey, Pickett fortunate result in the Essendon/Carlton game.
Two still ok, the other not likely again.

Teams win flags, not individuals (well, usually - Wayne Harmes might disagree) but that does not mean that the winning teams are faultless or the players perfect.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

[This message has been edited by Carey_is_King (edited 14 January 2001).]

CIK that reference to the fortunate result Carlton/Essendon, before I have a go at you could you please tell me that you are not saying that if Essendon had won then we would have not won the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe we could undo the Schwass/Grant trade. alot of our hopes could end up being pinned on the disposal skills of Dylan Smith and Daniel Harris.

Originally posted by Daphne:
CIK that reference to the fortunate result Carlton/Essendon, before I have a go at you could you please tell me that you are not saying that if Essendon had won then we would have not won the GF.

I am saying it assisted us in our quest for a flag, because Essendon would have provided much more of a contest than Carlton did. Whether Essendon would have beaten us, we will never know.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

CIK

Obviously you haven't had a chat with an Essadun supporter about this because they are dead set certain that they would have rolled us, and no amount of telling them that you can't win the GF if you aren't in it sways them!!!!

Cheers

Gonzo

CIK

I know you're not a fan of McKernan, but surely you would recognise the game he played in the 99 GF. Even though he didn't have an outstanding game, his presence in the second qtr swung the game back our way.

Originally posted by Aussie_Roo:
CIK

I know you're not a fan of McKernan, but surely you would recognise the game he played in the 99 GF. Even though he didn't have an outstanding game, his presence in the second qtr swung the game back our way.

Nope, one long goal does not a presence make.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Originally posted by Gonzo:
CIK

Obviously you haven't had a chat with an Essadun supporter about this because they are dead set certain that they would have rolled us, and no amount of telling them that you can't win the GF if you aren't in it sways them!!!!

Cheers

Gonzo
We can all squeal about things that go wrong or don't happen and then cost us a premiership e.g. Carey getting injured in '97.
Let the bummers whine as much as they like, but these days the premiership requires winning the preliminary as well as the Grand Final.
Besides North had to beat Brisbane, a far superior team to Carlton at that time.

CIK, it was two goals in about two/three minutes including a one-on-one against Kouta. I thought McKernan was good in bursts, especially the third quarter, but was quite for long spells. He provided a good focal point in the forward line when Carey was being held by Silvagni. Not his best game, but not his worst either.

Are you saying that by continually picking McKernan, that Denis Pagan and the selection commitee don't know what they are doing??

McKernan is a frustrating player because he doesn't deliver consistently yet tantalises us with an inspirational 65m goal every 10 games or so. More time in the ruck hopefully will see him return to a greater level of consistency. Matthew Burton might be a great tap ruckman but unfortunately the beneficiaries of his skill usually waste it straight away.

The problem with Burton is that he can't seem to run out a game. When he was on song and feeding our midfielders (for example, first half vs Adelaide in Adealide, the last 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter vs Melbourne and the second quarter vs Brisbane, both at Colonial), it was a goal frenzy for us. But in the second half of these games, he seemed to run out of puff and started to lose the ruck contests. That was one thing North did well from '93 to '98, win the ball out of the middle and get it forward as quickly as possible. In '99 and '00, we seemed to be able to do that only in bursts.

Originally posted by DEVO:
CIK, it was two goals in about two/three minutes including a one-on-one against Kouta. I thought McKernan was good in bursts, especially the third quarter, but was quite for long spells. He provided a good focal point in the forward line when Carey was being held by Silvagni. Not his best game, but not his worst either.

Are you saying that by continually picking McKernan, that Denis Pagan and the selection commitee don't know what they are doing??

Devo,
Your points in the first para are correct and I agree. Am I saying The coaches do not know what they are doing ? I couldn't possibly say that, but I will say, without equivocation, that Corey McKernan would not have a spot in any side I picked. I honestly believe that Dennis has "blind spots" for certain players (Corey, Olarenshaw, Calthorpe and others who I forget) and he seems to be crediting them today, for what they have done in the past.
Somebody laughingly posted recently, something to the effect that the 1993 video tape of Essendon should be erased from Dennis' brain. That about sums it up, though in Corey's case it would be 1996.
I submit to you that if Lange, for example, played like Corey has for the last 4 years, he would no longer be with us.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Originally posted by Shinboners:
The problem with Burton is that he can't seem to run out a game. When he was on song and feeding our midfielders (for example, first half vs Adelaide in Adealide, the last 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter vs Melbourne and the second quarter vs Brisbane, both at Colonial), it was a goal frenzy for us. But in the second half of these games, he seemed to run out of puff and started to lose the ruck contests. That was one thing North did well from '93 to '98, win the ball out of the middle and get it forward as quickly as possible. In '99 and '00, we seemed to be able to do that only in bursts.

Shinners

Excuse me if I butcher your post but I think it reads better this way:

Originally posted by Shinboners:
The problem with Burton is that he can't seem to run.

Cheers

Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Gonzo (edited 16 January 2001).]

LOL Gonzo
biggrin.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back