Strategy The midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been a lot of discussion creeping into other threads about our midfield, but it deserves its own thread.

We enter 2020 still reliant on an experienced few, though the depth we have managed to build in this area of the ground is seriously impressive. We now have a glut of talent who could feature prominently, albeit many are very young and require further development.

The proof will as always be in the pudding, but it is very hard to not get excited about what this group may produce in 2020 and beyond, and it all starts in the midfield.

For a while now I have wanted to take a deeper look into our midfield, and 2020 is finally the year to do it.
I will be posting in this thread a weekly update on formations, success rates and any other stats relevant to the midfield debate.

In the meantime, I am keen to hear what you think is our optimal midfield setup come R1 vs the Tigers?
What are your expectations for our midfield group in 2020?
What do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of our midfield options, both individually and as a collective?
Are there any specific types you think we need to target come the player movement period at the end of 2020?

For reference, this is the midfield group we recently voted as being our consensus best 22:

C: Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Will Setterfield
FOL: Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy
INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher, Jack Newnes

Whether or not you agree with this as being our best setup to start the year, there is no doubt this is a very talented group. Even more telling perhaps is the caliber of footballers who would be waiting in reserve.

Have at it.

If you move curnow out of the midfield then you have to move him out of the team

Other than the centre bounces, there is more people around each stoppage than the ruck and 3 mids, when I speak of getting Curnow out of the midfield, I mean out of the centre bounces, I still feel he can play as a tagged around the grounds.

Surely that’s possible.

My opinion on what we need to do:
At the moment Cripps, Walsh, Ed and to a lesser extent Williams take up the majority of our midfield minutes. Murph is used at HF mainly.

Cripps and Walsh being gun mids, im okay with their time on ball.

Ed while still serviceable is taking up valuable minutes for us to develop our youth. I think the best way forward is to move on from him as a key on baller and even potentially his spot in the team. What I think we could try is using him as a defensive wingman/tagger replacing Newnes who I think isn’t good enough.

I think Williams mid time should also be reduced, he’s an All Australian quality HB. He and Saad would be electrifying. I think he could also play more on the Wing with small stints on ball.

The remaining midfield time should be split between Setterfield (replaces Ed inside mid role), Cunners, SPS, Dow, Martin. All these players splitting their time between Mid/HF replacing Murphy who I believe is past it.

We really need to have 5-7 players running through the midfield each game. This is what the good teams do and it also helps with development.

Imo Newnes, Murphy, Curnow should be filtered out with the others replacing them and given their important minutes

My opinion on what we need to do:
At the moment Cripps, Walsh, Ed and to a lesser extent Williams take up the majority of our midfield minutes. Murph is used at HF mainly.

Cripps and Walsh being gun mids, im okay with their time on ball.

Ed while still serviceable is taking up valuable minutes for us to develop our youth. I think the best way forward is to move on from him as a key on baller and even potentially his spot in the team. What I think we could try is using him as a defensive wingman/tagger replacing Newnes who I think isn’t good enough.

I think Williams mid time should also be reduced, he’s an All Australian quality HB. He and Saad would be electrifying. I think he could also play more on the Wing with small stints on ball.

The remaining midfield time should be split between Setterfield (replaces Ed inside mid role), Cunners, SPS, Dow, Martin. All these players splitting their time between Mid/HF replacing Murphy who I believe is past it.

We really need to have 5-7 players running through the midfield each game. This is what the good teams do and it also helps with development.

Imo Newnes, Murphy, Curnow should be filtered out with the others replacing them and given their important minutes

I dont know if we win vs Essendon if Curnow doesn't stop Merret in his tracks.

I dont know if we win vs Essendon if Curnow doesn't stop Merret in his tracks.
That’s why I said there’s still a spot in the team for him as a tagger, I just think he should be in the centre square as we need to give this opportunity to others. Start him on a wing then allow him to tag

Is our best starting 3 now Walsh, Cunningham, Dow?
With Williams and SPS on the wings, Cripps fwd and first to come in?
I'm not so sure about that. I still don't like Cripps as a starting forward and really would prefer him focus on his one wood (to use that over used cliche term) of first possession and distribution by hand with the occasional burst forward through the stoppage. He's playing 86% TOG now, I'd be happy with him dropping to 80% and being fresher during the game, try to get more impact out of him when he's on.

As it stands, I'd say our best centre square combo is Walsh, Cripps & Cuningham/Williams, with Curnow and Dow possibly the next in line inside mids.

I think Walsh can and should play a split of mid and wing (not the defensive/wide wing). If we look at Newnes & Cottrell's TOG averages (80% & 82%) then Walsh as the 3rd wing only needs to make up 38% which would leave him with 48% mid. Of course we can also rotate others through there as well to take up some of that; Williams, Docherty, Saad, Cuningham, SPS, etc. Maybe a good split for Walsh is about 25-30% wing, leaving him with about 55-60% mid time.

The permutations of how various players split their time across multiple positions is almost limitless and is going to be dictated by availability, weekly matchups and of course the coaches/MC. I don't have any concrete concept of what our best system/setup is yet, but I think I'm slowly starting to put the pieces together. Need too see some more of Richie and Dow in the middle, SPS in that wing-ish spot with a couple of CBAs, what Williams' mid/wing/def/fwd breakdown ends up, what happens with Martin, Fogarty, Fisher, Doc, Saad, Stocker, if Newnes/Cottrell/Gibbons/Murph remain in the team, where on the field should Ed's home-base for tagging be, will O'Brien/Setters/Ramsay/Honey/Kemp/Newman/Philp/Carroll/Williamson/etc get into the 22, how much does the dynamic change when TDK is playing (as ruck or relief ruck)...

actually maybe I've got less of an idea than I though...

Is our best starting 3 now Walsh, Cunningham, Dow?
With Williams and SPS on the wings, Cripps fwd and first to come in?
Cuningham must start in the middle IMO. Often looked lively, with good use of pace and looked to clear the ball only after giving himself some space -- no bang it on your boot stuff. A very dynamic player.

I've been thinking about what our current team would look like if we tried to incorporate our young midfielders back in their (close to) best positions.

It's impossible to fit them all in without:
1. Dropping some of our elder statesmen
2. Making some compromises on where some of them play (e.g. Walsh is a brownlow chasing gun in/out mid but is also an elite wing/mid)

Given we did so well without Murphy, albeit against the poostained excuse for a club that is *, it makes me think the "kids" are closer than ever to being able to carry us forward. Certainly more so than when Bolts was throwing them into the fire.

If I apply this approach across the ground, trying to select 22 of our currently fit younger brigade, here's what I come up with.

Note: I think this forward line will work if Teague gives it a chance.

Also note that this was built based off me thinking our stoppage setup is too static - IMO we need more to rotate through the stoppages, to create matchup headaches for opposition coaches.

Main issue I can't solve is ruck backup without Levi - meaning, either TDK to CHF and Pitto to ruck, Setters to sub. Or, Levi for Kennedy. Or, team unchanged, screw the backup ruck and throw an extra tall mid in there (Crippa?!), focus on a more defensive stoppage set-up and sharking the opposition ruck tap.

Parks Weitering Docherty
Williams Jones Saad

Walsh SPS Cottrell
TDK Cripps Dow

JSOS Kennedy Cuningham
Betts McKay Owies

Stocker Setterfield Plowman Fogarty

Sub: Ed

When Fisher or Martin is fit, replace Eddie.

Run the HFs and HBs through stoppages as well.

Clear the 50 for Harry and put intense pressure on defences to cover numerous intelligent mid-fwd who can apply tackling pressure, and whose superior game sense makes up for their lack of pace.

Failing all this, we simply must trade some of these guys while they have currency. Work our who will be part of our future, and back them in - trade the rest, as uncomfortable as it may be.

And FFS, rotate Williams across HB and Mid - experiment with him as a full time mid later.

Keen to discuss the pros and cons here, it was the last post of the page (gross)

Understand it's fairly radical but is it plausible?

Simple version,

6 midfielders that attend CB and stoppages.

Cripps 70% with stints Forward
Walsh 70% with stints Wing
Curnow % dependant on defensive matchup. Can run wing.

SPS, Cunningham and Williams as the rotations. Should get approx 30-40% midfield time.

Dow, Setterfield next in line.

Simple version,

6 midfielders that attend CB and stoppages.

Cripps 70% with stints Forward
Walsh 70% with stints Wing
Curnow % dependant on defensive matchup. Can run wing.

SPS, Cunningham and Williams as the rotations. Should get approx 30-40% midfield time.

Dow, Setterfield next in line.

IMO Dow and Setterfield are too talented to be waiting in line. They need exposure to the level, as they are our future. So how do you deal with that, without doing something like I've done above?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really, really would start a game with Cripps playing CHF, with a few centre bounces, but try and get setterfield as his in and under role.. Replace Casbolt as the 2nd ruck option. Cripps could still also play as a very mobile chf.. As a midfielder ive seen his opponent exploit him defensivly also so its worth trying i think.. It removes a liabilty atm in Casbolt. Uses a more mobile and still a huge target in Cripps who can take care of forward ruck work, and gets others into the middle..

IMO Dow and Setterfield are too talented to be waiting in line. They need exposure to the level, as they are our future. So how do you deal with that, without doing something like I've done above?

Curnow would be the player to bring out, however Dow and Setterfield still have me worried with the defensive side of there games. The reality is that we would normally have a position to fill with injuries, etc. If they can nail a spot on performance they stay in. The reality is they have not been able to do this on any consistent basis.

I also not not like your suggestion of rotating too many through the midfield. You need to maintain some structure and specific roles. Keep the HBF at HBF.

I do like the idea of having Cripps chop in out the ruck. This would give more midfield time to others.

Personally love the Sydney model.
x2 HBF - Who can also run through the middle and attack
x2 HFF - Who can also run through the middle and play defensively

Best Midfield x13
With Sydney's philosophy this is my best midfield and other positions they can play

HBF - Williams - ...... - Saad

C - Martin - Walsh - Cuningham
FOL - TDK- Cripps - Dow
7th MID - Stocker

HFF - Fogarty - ...... - SPS
F - Fisher - ...... - C.Curnow

This is a pretty fast, elite skill, contested focused, defensive, scary group..
Teague just needs to trust players in their natural positions and know they can cameo in other positions if needed..

Williams - Best position HBF, can cameo (Inside/Wing/forward).. Elite speed and ball use and can kick a goal
Saad - Best position HBF, can cameo (Wing).. Elite speed and ball use and can kick a goal
Martin - Skilful distributor, that is isn't afraid to crack in. Perfect winger for mine, can cameo (Forward/Inside) Speed, ball use, can kick a goal and lock it in
Walsh - No brainer elite inside outside player.. Can cameo (Wing)
Cuningham - Playing career best football on a wing.. can cameo (Outside/Forward) Speed, ball use, can kick a goal and lock it in
TDK - Very promising ruckman, has elite jump.. Can cameo (Forward) Speed, pack mark, great leap and tap work and can kick a goal
Cripps - No brainer elite inside player.. can cameo (Forward) Needs to believe in himself and kick goals more consistently and take first option more often
Dow - Showed, his an on the ball player only.. He could be elite at contested ball, clearances and by hand. Has a lot of work to do but I'm backing him in
Stocker - Finally got his chance and hasn't looked back. Can cameo (Defence) Has speed, good ball use and lots of mongrel
Fogarty -
Got his chance with the Blues and hasn't looked back. Can cameo (Wing/Outside) Has speed, good ball use and a bit of mongrel
SPS -
Jack of all trades master of none, needs to lockdown a spot and I think that is HFF Distributor.. Can cameo (Inside/Outside/Wing/Defender)
Has great evasiveness, ball use, can kick a goal and lock it in.
Fisher - Best position small forward... Can cameo (Inside/Outside/Wing) Great speed, great evasiveness, ball use, can kick a goal and lock it in.
C.Curnow - Interesting prospect going forward, would take the pressure off him and put him in the FP.. Can cameo (Wing) Speed, pack mark, great leap and and can kick a goal

Geez I hope we get to see this team one day it will be insane and if Teague and Co step up to the plate we could be insanely good..

FBDochertyJonesParks
HBFWilliamsWeiteringSaad
CentreMartinWalshCuningham
HFFFogartyKempSPS
FFFisherMcKayC.Curnow
FOLTDKCrippsDow
BenchStockerSilvagniNewman
Pittonet

Best Midfield x13
With Sydney's philosophy this is my best midfield and other positions they can play

FOL - TDK- Cripps - Dow
7th MID - Stocker

Teague just needs to trust players in their natural positions and know they can cameo in other positions if needed..

Williams - Best position HBF, can cameo (Inside/Wing/forward).. Elite speed and ball use and can kick a goal
Saad - Best position HBF, can cameo (Wing).. Elite speed and ball use and can kick a goal
Martin - Skilful distributor, that is isn't afraid to crack in. Perfect winger for mine, can cameo (Forward/Inside) Speed, ball use, can kick a goal and lock it in
Cuningham - Playing career best football on a wing.. can cameo (Outside/Forward) Speed, ball use, can kick a goal and lock it in
TDK - Very promising ruckman, has elite jump.. Can cameo (Forward) Speed, pack mark, great leap and tap work and can kick a goal
Cripps - No brainer elite inside player.. can cameo (Forward) Needs to believe in himself and kick goals more consistently and take first option more often
Dow - Showed, his an on the ball player only.. He could be elite at contested ball, clearances and by hand. Has a lot of work to do but I'm backing him in
Stocker - Finally got his chance and hasn't looked back. Can cameo (Defence) Has speed, good ball use and lots of mongrel
Fogarty -
Got his chance with the Blues and hasn't looked back. Can cameo (Wing/Outside) Has speed, good ball use and a bit of mongrel
SPS -
Jack of all trades master of none, needs to lockdown a spot and I think that is HFF Distributor.. Can cameo (Inside/Outside/Wing/Defender)
Fisher - Best position small forward... Can cameo (Inside/Outside/Wing) Great speed, great evasiveness, ball use, can kick a goal and lock it in.
C.Curnow - Interesting prospect going forward, would take the pressure off him and put him in the FP.. Can cameo (Wing) Speed, pack mark, great leap and and can kick a goal

Geez I hope we get to see this team one day it will be insane and if Teague and Co step up to the plate we could be insanely good..

FBDochertyJonesParks
HBFWilliamsWeiteringSaad
HFFFogartyKempSPS
FFFisherMcKayC.Curnow
FOLTDKCrippsDow
Pittonet

Yep I like most of that - rather than waiting for some point in the future, how do you think it could be done now? As in, current available best 22?

Still not sure about Pitto in the side vs TDK solo ruckman with chop out from a big bodied mid like Dunkley does at the Dogs. I think I'd play the extra mid rather than 2 rucks with the game the way it is ATM, until we can find a more mobile and threatening option than Pitto.

Best Midfield x13

FOL - TDK- Cripps - Dow
7th MID - Stocker

Fogarty -
SPS -

FBDochertyJonesParks
HBFWilliamsWeiteringSaad
HFFFogartyKempSPS
FFFisherMcKayC.Curnow
FOLTDKCrippsDow
Pittonet
You say the Sydney model is 13 players who can go through the middle, but the CBA numbers look different. This was last week:
PlayerTOGCBACBA%CBA/TOG
Luke Parker0.842480%95%
Josh P. Kennedy0.742170%95%
James Rowbottom0.821963%77%
Chad Warner0.821653%65%
Oliver Florent0.82930%37%
Tom Papley0.7913%4%
Parker & Kennedy are almost exclusively full-time mids & Rowbottom is spending over 3/4 of his time there. Warner about 2/3, Florent a bit over 1/3, Papley basically an outlier with 1 CBA.

Compare that to us against Brisbane (it was out of whack against * with Dow attending 18% of the CBAs in 14% of TOG before being subbed out for SPS):
PlayerTOG%CBACBA%CBA/TOG
Patrick Cripps0.852684%99%
Ed Curnow0.772374%96%
Sam Walsh0.821858%71%
David Cuningham0.771445%58%
Zac Williams0.76929%38%
Lachie Fogarty0.8310%13%

For mine, that breakdown looks pretty similar, especially when you compare the CBA/TOG column.

So for what it's worth, we're basically already playing the 'Sydney model'...

Curnow would be the player to bring out, however Dow and Setterfield still have me worried with the defensive side of there games. The reality is that we would normally have a position to fill with injuries, etc. If they can nail a spot on performance they stay in. The reality is they have not been able to do this on any consistent basis.

I also not not like your suggestion of rotating too many through the midfield. You need to maintain some structure and specific roles. Keep the HBF at HBF.

I do like the idea of having Cripps chop in out the ruck. This would give more midfield time to others.

Yeah I get your point - our defensive structures as a whole have been very poor, which makes it harder for them to showcase their defensive side though. For instance, Setterfield is a voracious tackler and not as slow as others make him out to be. I don't think we've put the right structures around the young guys for them to shine.

You say the Sydney model is 13 players who can go through the middle, but the CBA numbers look different. This was last week:
PlayerTOGCBACBA%CBA/TOG
Luke Parker0.842480%95%
Chad Warner0.821653%65%
Tom Papley0.7913%4%
Parker & Kennedy are almost exclusively full-time mids & Rowbottom is spending over 3/4 of his time there. Warner about 2/3, Florent a bit over 1/3, Papley basically an outlier with 1 CBA.

Compare that to us against Brisbane (it was out of whack against * with Dow attending 18% of the CBAs in 14% of TOG before being subbed out for SPS):
PlayerTOG%CBACBA%CBA/TOG
Ed Curnow0.772374%96%
Sam Walsh0.821858%71%
Zac Williams0.76929%38%
Lachie Fogarty0.8310%13%

For mine, that breakdown looks pretty similar, especially when you compare the CBA/TOG column.

Really appreciate the work you put into these.

Do you have info on who has the highest % in terms of Carlton clearances won when they're attending centre bounces?
I think it could be Cuningham based on numbers you've posted before, and also that we get cleaner clearances when he's involved.

PlayerTOGCBACBA%CBA/TOG
Luke Parker0.842480%95%
Chad Warner0.821653%65%
Tom Papley0.7913%4%

PlayerTOG%CBACBA%CBA/TOG
Ed Curnow0.772374%96%
Sam Walsh0.821858%71%
Zac Williams0.76929%38%
Lachie Fogarty0.8310%13%

Replace Curnow with Cera and now it starts to look attractive

Really appreciate the work you put into these.

Do you have info on who has the highest % in terms of Carlton clearances won when they're attending centre bounces?
I think it could be Cuningham based on numbers you've posted before, and also that we get cleaner clearances when he's involved.
Sorry, I don't have anything like that. I'm not compiling season long numbers or clearance win percentage or anything like that. Someone might be though, I may have seen that before (& Cuningham & Fogarty had great win ratios?)

It's SFA effort on my part, I've just ripped those numbers straight out of here:
Secrets to success: Every club’s CBAs, kick-ins for R7 (afl.com.au)
Secrets to success: Every club's CBAs, kick-ins for R6 (afl.com.au)

Then deleted the ruck & relief ruck, deleted the fantasy score column and added the CBA/TOG column (which is hardly exact as the centre bounces aren't evenly spaced throughout the game, Dow attended 18% of ours last week in 14% TOG).

Sorry, I don't have anything like that. I'm not compiling season long numbers or clearance win percentage or anything like that. Someone might be though, I may have seen that before (& Cuningham & Fogarty had great win ratios?)

It's SFA effort on my part, I've just ripped those numbers straight out of here:
Secrets to success: Every club’s CBAs, kick-ins for R7 (afl.com.au)
Secrets to success: Every club's CBAs, kick-ins for R6 (afl.com.au)

Then deleted the ruck & relief ruck, deleted the fantasy score column and added the CBA/TOG column (which is hardly exact as the centre bounces aren't evenly spaced throughout the game, Dow attended 18% of ours last week in 14% TOG).
Oh right must've been someone else putting together those centre bounce win #s

Anyone else think Fogarty will just just get better and better with more games playing in the middle?

Not sure..
We need a second ruck and not sure I want to risk a McKay, C.Curnow, Kemp, Weitering or Jones in that position (we are paper thin on talls)..
Would have loved to swap Pittonet with Carroll (Have high hopes).. We need a Casboult type that's not Casboult..

Nice work :thumbsupv1:
Did say "players that can run through the midfield"
How much they get to run through there is up to the coaches..

Do stand by my gripe with Teague and Co though
"Teague just needs to trust players in their natural positions and know they can cameo in other positions if needed.."

More players we have playing in their natural positions that can pinch in the middle if needed, the better our team will be..

Also think our best 22 team is pretty high quality team.. If we can get them all fit at the same time, we are going places..
Most of the negativity from the media is just lazy journalism.. Our healthy list Shits on * and the majority others

Yep I think so too - we have quality and at the right age across all lines. We are competing well against top 4 teams despite many injuries to our best 22, and in spite of a system that often lets us down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back