The mind-boggling hypocrisy of Bruce McAvaney

He said the fact that a convicted drug cheat was still performing so well at the age of 34 raised questions in his mind. If Bruce thought JT was still taking recreational drugs or that Essendon were still running a supplements program, it would be hyporticial of him to support them given what he said about Gatlin, sure. Not really the same thing though given that both Essendon and Thomas have stayed out of trouble since.

Yeah, but Bruce doesn't ask why Collingwood have had another player in Sam Murray go AFTER Thomas has he?

He just acts like this stuff has never happened.

He questions Gatlin but Collingwood having a doping suspension every two years, nah, nothing to see.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Bombers must have won a couple of games... particularly in some pretty good style the last few weeks...

Time to roll out the drug reference threads again. A new innovation this time though as disguised as a Bruce McAvaney hypocrisy thread. Novel!

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Bombers must have won a couple of games... particularly in some pretty good style the last few weeks...

Time to roll out the drug reference threads again. A new innovation this time though as disguised as a Bruce McAvaney hypocrisy thread. Novel!
Even adding a couple of Collingwood references to change things up.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I think the bigger issue is Channel 7 employing convicted woman-beaters like Wayne Carey.
They are both big issues

Cant fathom carey as a commentator - what a message to send to beaten women

The guy should be working a minimum wage job somewhere

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I’ve had a gut of this code sometimes. The immaturity of club, supporters, media is pathetic.

We can’t accept something and move on, we can’t accept someone’s decision we have to act like immoral, righteous arse holes.

Why can’t a player come out and say “I’m signing with club x for next season and still be responsible for playing the season out with his current club?
Phil Davis, outcast by the crows when he announced a month left in the season he was departing for GWS.

Why do we have to begrudge someone’s poor decision forever? Pay the consequence and then move on. The Essendon players did there dues and should be allowed to move on with there job and not be shamed forever having paid that consequence.

The media prefer to beat up a story than focus on the positives with our great game. The fact they all drive an underlying agenda is poor leadership right from the top.

If you wish to focus on leadership, perhaps look at the lack of immaturity right across the AFL community rather specifics to suit your own agenda.

Grow up is all I say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
Yeah, but Bruce doesn't ask why Collingwood have had another player in Sam Murray go AFTER Thomas has he?

He just acts like this stuff has never happened.

He questions Gatlin but Collingwood having a doping suspension every two years, nah, nothing to see.

I assume Bruce has issues with assault too, but he will happily support and cheer on guys like Trent Dumont and Taylor Garner.

More than happy for Bruce to stop commentating our games

And Melbourne, Port, Collingwood, GWS games too.

Seeing how he thinks the "smell" remains.

They are both big issues

Cant fathom carey as a commentator - what a message to send to beaten women

The guy should be working a minimum wage job somewhere

Plenty of threads about Carey. This is not one.

Actually, as I said in the OP, the better comparison for Bruce is Josh Thomas in the Grand final last year.

Where was Bruce saying that would have a "smell" about it if Collingwood won a flag with a convicted doper in the team?

I assume Bruce has issues with assault too, but he will happily support and cheer on guys like Trent Dumont and Taylor Garner.

You mean Trent Dumont who was acquitted at court in a case the judge laughed at (literally) and Garner who hasn't been charged?

Collingwood have multiple doping suspensions.

Bruce doesn't mention it.

Its hypocrisy writ large.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

Lol, look at him now throwing in some Collingwood references to try to disguise it.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Always misled - my coke was cutting with roids from Kiwi cows!

The only bloke who has ever been straight up was JUstin Charles, albeit some of the Essendon blokes gave the game away after they left, though not at the time.
What we can be pretty certain about is the AFL have covered up quite a few cases of suspicious supplement usage before during and after the Essendon PED case.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Asking why the most prominent commentator in the sport has a very different attitude to atheltes who dope depending on what day it is.

What a pathetic beat up, the guys a commentator, staggered you'd rake over the coals of the past to put the guy down. 👎

That you chose not to run it in Bay 13 .......

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
What we can be pretty certain about is the AFL have covered up quite a few cases of suspicious supplement usage before during and after the Essendon PED case.

How was it covered up - we all know the AFL influence in the Melbourne media is used, but surely there is one fair dinkum journo out there.

Bruce McAvaney is a brilliant commentator of sport, from Australian Football to ...

Um, you really think so? Kudos to the bloke that he does his homework, and yeah, he’s better than many commentators, but we’re setting the bar low if we’re labelling him “brilliant”.

Bruce is very vocal when it comes to doping in athletics:

You’ve been sitting on that article for three years waiting to bring us?!?

So how can Bruce gets himsel so excited about convicted doping cheat Cale Hooker swinging forward? Or Dyson Heppel?

Well, it’s easy really. If he had banged on about the taint of the supplements scandal week after week during the season over the last three seasons ... after the players had served their times - the footballing community would have labelled him a silly old codger who really needed to get over it.

And it isn't just an Essendon thing - where was Bruce opining last year that if Collingwood won the Grand Final with Josh Thomas in the team there would be a "smell in the air'?

JT was once busted for ingesting a PED that had been laced in a illicit drug. He served two years suspension for his stupidity. You’re equating that to a bloke who was busted twice for being part of a systematic doping program?

The absolute shameful lack of leadership in Australian Football over doping issues continues like nothing ever happened - that we haven't seen multiple clubs have players suspended for extended periods for doping offences.

We sure have.

Essendon.

Collingwood have had two players serve two years each, and a third is two years into some yet-to-be-determined ban.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I liked McAvaney's calls of athletic track events, although as far as AFL commentating goes he is way past it, time to hang up the boots and drool over Winx and Black Caviar.

Bruce has turned into an attention seeking sycophant who is a laughable parody of his better self from long ago.

There should be a thread "AFL commentators/experts who have gone on 1 year too long"... it would be a long bloody list.

How was it covered up - we all know the AFL influence in the Melbourne media is used, but surely there is one fair dinkum journo out there.

BY getting the dopers to claim it was recreational drug use, or a "mental health issue" would spring to mind.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I think the bigger issue is Channel 7 employing convicted woman-beaters like Wayne Carey.
But you're ok having this bloke on your payroll with his high moral standards and treatment of women

Yes, yes, I know he didn't break any laws, but that doesn't matter at Bomberland. Happy to recruit blokes who cheat on their pregnant wives and sleep with schoolgirls, that's how it rolls there at Tullamarine.

Back