Analysis The missing piece up forward - hurt factor!

Remove this Banner Ad

2) Basketball instincts don't make Doedee or Greenwood play bruise free. 1) Seems more like an unwillingness/inability to work on his weaknesses. Just look at his ruck work - it hasn't improved one iota since he came to the club.

1) Reasoning appreciated, thanks :thumbsu:. You're right. Jenkins ruck work has not improved.
Career-wise (end 2017), he's averaged 1.8 tackles/game. Not special, is it?
This year, 8 tackles total so far which is equal ninth in the team.
His defensive pressure is poor and you'd think he'd be a much-improved player after 8 years. He's not.

2) both Doedee and Greenwood played basketball and footy as kids. Greenwood in particular was very good, playing U16 for Tassie.

jackster83 and newbie_kimber both agreed with this:

possibly because they think that stating the obvious (I mean, ALL players are inconsistent, obviously --- nobody plays to the same high level, every week) shoots down arguments-with-reasons about Jenkins' basketballer's reflexes.

Reasons, all of you, please give reasons why it's irrelevant to how soft and ineffective he can be when he is under pressure, close in, when possession is up for grabs.
He could contest for the loose ball, in packs in the F50, but rarely does. When have you ever seen Jenkins enter a congested group in the F50 and emerge with the ball? He stands back and waits for others to take possession<== basketballer, who receives the ball only.
He rarely tackles <== basketballer, because it's a tackle-free sport.
Even with his size and weight and mobility, he rarely crashes a pack or dishes out a decent bump or shirtfront <== basketballer (you only ever see 2 or 3 basketballers contest a rebound; there's no pack-crashing, no bumps to be dished out).
Watch when Jenkins marks just outside the F50 and there is someone either running past him, or in a better position, closer in. A footballer gives the ball off reflexively, quickly, without thinking. Jenkins goes, "What should I do?", think, think, tick-tick-tick and the quick-give is gone. <== slow to react to a footy opportunity = basketballer.
Yes, he's played footy for 8 years :huh:. Yes, inconsistent footballers exist:rolleyes:.
BUT
Jenkins' deficiencies in close, not everywhere, which are real and hurting the team this season, stem from his basketballer's reflexes under pressure.
Jenkins can be summed up in one word. Soft. Doesnt want to get hurt and plays accordingly. Has his contract and knows the club havent got it in them to trade him. Should have traded this soft lug when we had the chance.

Last edited:
Jenkins can be summed up in one word. Soft. Doesnt want to get hurt and plays accordingly. Should have traded him to Brisbane when we had the chance.
Yes, he had 2 good years (2016/17) and looked like he might have improved more, but didn't.
His contract renewal looked like a good decision in 2017. It wasn't, not for 5 years, not at his price front-loaded.

Yes, he had 2 good years (2016/17) and looked like he might have improved more, but didn't.
His contract renewal looked like a good decision in 2017. It wasn't, not for 5 years, not at his price front-loaded.
He is a cancer in our team with some other soft players. Needs to be part of the cleanout end of year. Would do what it takes to move him even if we have to pay most of his wage. Would be worth it to get this basketballer off our list.

He is a cancer in our team with some other soft players. Needs to be part of the cleanout end of year. Would do what it takes to move him even if we have to pay most of his wage. Would be worth it to get this basketballer off our list.

Won't achieve anything if we've still got the same dud coaching group.

I think it's getting pretty close to being terminal for Pyke. He's seemingly run out of ideas and hasn't taken enough interest in changing personnel or structures (unless it's to accommodate certain personnel). He will be sent packing and we'll be left with caretaker Campo in R20 either this year or next. The coloured hearts brigade will then blame the supporters for not supporting their team.

Won't achieve anything if we've still got the same dud coaching group.

I think it's getting pretty close to being terminal for Pyke. He's seemingly run out of ideas and hasn't taken enough interest in changing personnel or structures (unless it's to accommodate certain personnel). He will be sent packing and we'll be left with caretaker Campo in R20 either this year or next. The coloured hearts brigade will then blame the supporters for not supporting their team.
Needs to go this year. No point stringing out the inevitable. Campo and Hart need to be exited with him. Campo imo is the real crux of the problem. Seems to have a lot of say down there. Reminds me of someone who thinks he can do it who never had the balls to prove it who then turns his energy to underminng the whole operation out of his dissatisfaction with himself. Time to get better as a club.

Last edited:

possibly because they think that stating the obvious (I mean, ALL players are inconsistent, obviously --- nobody plays to the same high level, every week) shoots down arguments-with-reasons about Jenkins' basketballer's reflexes.

Reasons, all of you, please give reasons why it's irrelevant to how soft and ineffective he can be when he is under pressure, close in, when possession is up for grabs.
He could contest for the loose ball, in packs in the F50, but rarely does. When have you ever seen Jenkins enter a congested group in the F50 and emerge with the ball? He stands back and waits for others to take possession<== basketballer, who receives the ball only.
Even with his size and weight and mobility, he rarely crashes a pack or dishes out a decent bump or shirtfront <== basketballer (you only ever see 2 or 3 basketballers contest a rebound; there's no pack-crashing, no bumps to be dished out).
Watch when Jenkins marks just outside the F50 and there is someone either running past him, or in a better position, closer in. A footballer gives the ball off reflexively, quickly, without thinking. Jenkins goes, "What should I do?", think, think, tick-tick-tick and the quick-give is gone. <== slow to react to a footy opportunity = basketballer.
Yes, he's played footy for 8 years :huh:. Yes, inconsistent footballers exist:rolleyes:.
BUT
Jenkins' deficiencies in close, not everywhere, which are real and hurting the team this season, stem from his basketballer's reflexes under pressure.

Cool, send him to the NBL instead of the SANFL then.

BUT
JJ no doubt has been influenced by the basketball background. This has helped him with the leaping and agility. Though I think with JJ there’s much more to it than simply basketball influence. I personally think it’s one of 2 other possibilities:
1. Coaching directive for him to not enter into congestion, leave it to the smaller guys perhaps, or it may also impact on his ruck work.

2. He’s a natural goodie goodie, and doesn’t want to hurt even a fly, let alone to a human being (opponent). His actions and interview talks all seem to point towards a guy who is soft-natured, and perhaps takes too literally “fair play” when it fact in footy “fair play” you are allowed to bruise your opponent.

There are plenty of others with basketball backgrounds but have a lot more physicality to their game. Eg. Greenwood, Doeedee and even Erin Phillips. How much of a mongrel you are is based on sporting background but mixed with your attitudes and persona.

1. Coaching directive for him to not enter into congestion, leave it to the smaller guys perhaps, or it may also impact on his ruck work.
Yes, good thinking.
This option, probably.

I hadn't considered the Mister-Nice-Guy factor, but I do think it applies to Pyke.

“The game has changed completely from 2017. If we are expecting to kick goals out the back and get people on fast breaks every time we win the footy then we are wrong,” said dual Crows premiership defender Hart.

Well at least he acknowledges that we're not in 2017 anymore. Talk is cheap though - we need to see them doing something about it.

To be fair to Hart, our forward line was absolute garbage last year too.

Hart was probably quoting someone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back