Club History The Moment

Remove this Banner Ad

The play itself certainly started with Pedo and his break tackle. Got everyone going, inspirational stuff.

Just want to mention Vince though and the textbook tackle he laid causing the spillage in the first place. With a minute to go and behind by less than a kick an inexperienced player may have been overzealous with that kind of tackle and given away a free but I thought Vince was excellent.

Fantastic post, though it should start a little earlier with ENTER Bernie Vince. The flashy recruit senses the moment with a perfect, inspirational tackle which leads to a spillage allowing...

Exactly what I was going to say

Bern started this play

I must also pay props to zaka after the goal

He tried his guts out to win it for the dons
Done :thumbsu:

Wouldn't peg this as the moment, boys have been building all year (in shock saying that a Dees side has been building..)

This is just a building block, what the team does after is what counts.... simmer... AND ENJOY.

On the topic of pick two. On ABC after the game a couple of the guys Robert Shaw and Rama maybe? were raving about Salem and how good he is going to be once he moves into the midfield. "I'm not sure who GWS took with pick two but gee getting Tyson AND Salem was a great trade for Melbourne!" The tables have well and truly turned.

On the topic of pick two. On ABC after the game a couple of the guys Robert Shaw and Rama maybe? were raving about Salem and how good he is going to be once he moves into the midfield. "I'm not sure who GWS took with pick two but gee getting Tyson AND Salem was a great trade for Melbourne!" The tables have well and truly turned.
Ultimately, he makes the call the we've been saying for the last 2 months, and I'm all for that! However, the fact he didn't even know who GWS picked with 2, probably highlights how much of a moron he is. Right now, there is absolutely no logical reason to say Melbourne made the wrong decision. Tyson has played a monster role in our wins and well Salem farking won us a game of football. It's most likely going to be a win for both clubs, and the best part is Barrett will have to eat his words in due time. GWS got a gun, we got 2.

They've only played a handful of games but I want the ball in their hands as much as possible, very good users of the Sherrin.

I'd be surprised if Shaw said that... not the Salem love as he ******* does love him (he was his coach at BGS).

But another kid he coached was taken with pick #2... Josh Kelly.

I'd be surprised if Shaw said that... not the Salem love as he ******* does love him (he was his coach at BGS).

But another kid he coached was taken with pick #2... Josh Kelly.
Could have been the third guy in the box. Shaw was gushing about his skills, Rama talking about his left foot and there was another bloke. Either way Shaw didn't bother correcting him then. :)

Jason Dunstall on FOX made some really positive comments about Salem towards the end too. Something like "gee wizz this kid is going to be good, you can just tell by the little things"

Reminded me of a passage against the Bombers in the Bailey era which ended with Moloney putting it high into the Ponsford.

Yeah, honestly this passage of play was something we COULD do in the Bailey era.

What we COULDN'T do in the Bailey era (and Neeld era, where we couldn't do anything) was concede only 2 goals from 15 inside 50s to 0.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason Dunstall on FOX made some really positive comments about Salem towards the end too. Something like "gee wizz this kid is going to be good, you can just tell by the little things"
Dunstall's been a wrap for him since day dot and I can understand why, Salem has plenty of high quality traits to work with! Exciting times.

Excellent OP.

In this single passage of play, we have a moment in time that perfectly encapsulates our list and the indelible mark Roos has left on this club.

Involved in this play were our two favorite (adopted) sons, Bernie and Crossy almost and somewhat appropriately, serving as complete bookends to the passage, before Crossy had the knowledge and calm head to be able to guide the ball to young Salem. Alongside Salem were his young brothers Viney and Tyson; the three who will no doubt form a very serious midfield unit in the years to come. They are the very embodiment of this clubs future.

Most importantly however and significantly in terms of the effect Roos has had on this club, is the work of two known battlers: Cam Pederson and Jordie McKenzie. Pedo's rise from footy scrapheap to some sort of Wayne Carey/John Wayne/Ryan Gosling in 'Drive' - level super being is well documented. But that gather/shrug and hail Mary handpass to our captain was huge. then there's Jordie. The man who was sent back to the VFL to develop his attacking game. Unlike some of his peers in a similar situation, he didn't sulk about it, he just racked up possie after possie until he forced his way back in to the team. And like he attacked the vfl with the vigour we have come to expect from Jordie, so did he attack during this passage of play; pivotally keeping the ball moving when in times past he would have seen the ball over the line and readied for a stoppage.

Meanwhile up in the coaches box, Roosy looks down like a proud father, a respected teacher, a dark knight.

Cameron shwab used to talk about moments. He might have had his deficiences as a CEO but he knew about history and he knew about the importance of moments in games, where great things can start from humble origins. With this passage of play you just wished we lived in a time where you could re-watch a moment in time zooming in and out and spinning around in slow motion as the ball follows its destiny from one end of the MCG to the moment it sails through the big sticks to the dismay of thousands of weary essendone supporters. Perhaps with some classical music accompanying it to truly highlight the beauty of the play. Or that 'Time in a bottle' song used in Quicksilver's scene from xmen DOFP. That would be majestic.

So if Roosy is to show one piece of vision to his players tomorrow I hope it's this one. It defines what we are and what we can be, and it's going to take everyone to get there - 100% committed to the TEAM first.

What a great moment, here's to many more to come.

Excellent OP.

In this single passage of play, we have a moment in time that perfectly encapsulates our list and the indelible mark Roos has left on this club.

Involved in this play were our two favorite (adopted) sons, Bernie and Crossy almost and somewhat appropriately, serving as complete bookends to the passage, before Crossy had the knowledge and calm head to be able to guide the ball to young Salem. Alongside Salem were his young brothers Viney and Tyson; the three who will no doubt form a very serious midfield unit in the years to come. They are the very embodiment of this clubs future.

Most importantly however and significantly in terms of the effect Roos has had on this club, is the work of two known battlers: Cam Pederson and Jordie McKenzie. Pedo's rise from footy scrapheap to some sort of Wayne Carey/John Wayne/Ryan Gosling in 'Drive' - level super being is well documented. But that gather/shrug and hail Mary handpass to our captain was huge. then there's Jordie. The man who was sent back to the VFL to develop his attacking game. Unlike some of his peers in a similar situation, he didn't sulk about it, he just racked up possie after possie until he forced his way back in to the team. And like he attacked the vfl with the vigour we have come to expect from Jordie, so did he attack during this passage of play; pivotally keeping the ball moving when in times past he would have seen the ball over the line and readied for a stoppage.

Meanwhile up in the coaches box, Roosy looks down like a proud father, a respected teacher, a dark knight.

Cameron shwab used to talk about moments. He might have had his deficiences as a CEO but he knew about history and he knew about the importance of moments in games, where great things can start from humble origins. With this passage of play you just wished we lived in a time where you could re-watch a moment in time zooming in and out and spinning around in slow motion as the ball follows its destiny from one end of the MCG to the moment it sails through the big sticks to the dismay of thousands of weary essendone supporters. Perhaps with some classical music accompanying it to truly highlight the beauty of the play. Or that 'Time in a bottle' song used in Quicksilver's scene from xmen DOFP. That would be majestic.

So if Roosy is to show one piece of vision to his players tomorrow I hope it's this one. It defines what we are and what we can be, and it's going to take everyone to get there - 100% committed to the TEAM first.

The best part of it for mine was seeing players like McKenzie and Tom McDonald break lines. Absolutely surreal.

Guys despite midway through games me throwing the baby out with the bath water this season has been as enjoyable a season since 2006
2010 had nothing on this for excitement, I got sick of beating up on the same interstate teams by 100 points only to lose every other game except Richmond

This year we have beaten a SA team in SA for the first time since 2001!!! And it went down to the WIRE!
We beat carlton for the first time since 07 just after some of us thought we wouldnt win for the season! Another tight one!
Knocked off Richmond infront of 50k supporters in a close one with Watts snagging the winner
Then we won the most amazing game of footy I can remember against the cheats

Throw in the tight losses against the Saints/Dogs/GC/PA and it has been a great season to just watch footy again

Excellent OP.

Tears of laughter at that description!

Guys despite midway through games me throwing the baby out with the bath water this season has been as enjoyable a season since 2006
2010 had nothing on this for excitement, I got sick of beating up on the same interstate teams by 100 points only to lose every other game except Richmond

This year we have beaten a SA team in SA for the first time since 2001!!! And it went down to the WIRE!
We beat carlton for the first time since 07 just after some of us thought we wouldnt win for the season! Another tight one!
Knocked off Richmond infront of 50k supporters in a close one with Watts snagging the winner
Then we won the most amazing game of footy I can remember against the cheats

Throw in the tight losses against the Saints/Dogs/GC/PA and it has been a great season to just watch footy again

Equal to 2010 for me. It's easy to let the knowledge of what followed taint the memory of 2010 but it was bloody exciting at the time. Three games against top 4 teams we missed out on by less than a kick, a two-goal loss to Freo (6th) at Patterson and dumping Sydney (5th) by 12 goals. The future was bright. Oh, we beat Essendon as well as Richmond. ;)
This time we're coming from the opposite angle, starting with a defensive base with lots of work to do in attack. There's still a mountain of work to do to get where we want to go but the base looks solid. Some more skillful attacking weapons through the midfield and we've the makings of a formidable side.

The best part of it for mine was seeing players like McKenzie and Tom McDonald break lines. Absolutely surreal.

Was like McKenzie circa 2010. Good to see!

Wonderful passage of play that I'll enjoy re-living for many years to come - such poise, intensity and skills by all involved.
As good as Pedersen was in the back-pocket, it was horrendous play by Hocking, somersaulting over the top of him! Facepalm stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back