The Mongrel Punt Footy Site

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, out post was slipping all the way down the list... tut tut - I was being lazy.

Here are a few links we've published over the last little bit. Hopefully one or two tickle your fancy.

Nick Vlastuin piece

2021 Preseason X-Factor rankings

Port Adelaide piece

A little bit of a think about which teams are best suited to knock the Tigers over

The pre-season version of the Mongrel 50 rolls on. Here are players 20-11 (top ten go up tonight)

And we'll be licking our 2021 podcast series off in a couple of weeks to coincide with the first couple of rounds of AFLW being done as well as the first week of the AFL AAMI series. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and our man Alex Docherty has done some comprehensive coverage of the AFLW season in a five part preview - he is a monster.
Here are a few of those previews

Phew... looking forward to a big season, fellas. You could even jump on as members and support independent footy media... or not. You know, personal choice and all that.

Cheers
HB

Every dark cloud has a silver lining, I guess.

Facebook has lumped us in as a media organisation, so that means all our posts on there are hidden at the moment and we can't post anything new, even if it relates to things with no links attached. Should I take it as a compliment, or settle down a bit because they've also blocked sites like the BOM?

Aaaaaanyway, here's a few links to recent articles.

AFLW Rolling AA tea after R3

A piece on Amazon docos and possibilities

25 breakout players in 2021

R3 AFLW review

Full AFLW Round Four Reviews are up for every game

And a members article detailing the realistic hopes and dreams for the 2021 AFL season. There'll be no wishing for the Hawks in the finals - I said realistic!

And finally, a rundown of the AFL injury list as we tick into three and a half weeks to go

Massive thanks to those who support us - it means a hell of a lot

Part one of four - this one covers the Swans, Dogs, Bombers and Eagles. Cheers

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All AFLW games reviewed

The precursor to our fortnightly ruck rankings

And the first of a three-part series on the fall and rise of the West Coast Eagles (this is a belter... not written by me - that's why)

Plus there are reviews of five of the weekend's pre-season clashes (with one more to come if I don't die in the meantime!). These ones are members articles, just so you're aware.

Cheers

Round One reviews start with the Tigers and Blues

A quick preview of the ruck battle between Grundy/English/Martin

Matt Oman and DJK take a look at the players who need a big 2021

Tim Hunt jumps into a time machine to cover the Saints' first ever VFL win... with the help of a few good men.

A look at last season's bottom four and their ominous Round One opponents

And our R7 AFLW reviews

Plenty of stuff for your reading pleasure. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking over the independent media sites... good to see so much varied and original content.

And now... the plug :)

Essendon v West Coast review

Brisbane v GWS

Every game, every week plus 10+ additional columns every single week. And a podcast...

Haven't promoted much in here lately - this forum seems to generate only minimal visits...

Anyway, thought this article was well-worth putting out there. Not by me - by a bloke named Tim Hunt, who is vastly more talented. If you know any Saints fans who would enjoy it, I would appreciate you sharing it with them. Cheers

Last edited:
Just a bit of stats fun in this one.

And as always, every game covered, Rolling AA team, wingman of the year, DPOY, Midfield Championship Belt, Mongrel Rising Star, and much more.

themongrelpunt.com

Been a little while. Thought I'd update given the furore over the weekend.

This one drew a bit of heat

This is a follow up by a different writer

This was just a bit of idiotic fun

And this one is just a bit of a nostalgia piece

I should add that these have all gone up in the last 48 hours. You can basically scroll through our catalogue here from most recent to oldest.

Only got the lazy... 1500 or so articles on the site these days, so knock yourselves out. Cheers - HB

Enjoy your posting on Facebook.
Just a quick query, Is the site related in any way to the mongrel punt footy show that was on Channel 31 (I think) back in the late 90's?

Cheers Greggy - no, no relation.

I remember hearing about that show from a couple of people but our reception of C31 (and often even SBS) was so poor I never got around to seeing it.
Enjoy your posting on Facebook.
Just a quick query, Is the site related in any way to the mongrel punt footy show that was on Channel 31 (I think) back in the late 90's?

Started the 2022 previews this week.

They're monsters.

Only been about 15 weeks since I've updated here.

Appreciate any ready we get from genuine footy fans. Doing well now... being picked up by Google news somehow, which is nice.

Anyway, if you're looking for a different look at footy from what you're used to... defensive player of the year, wingman of the year, plenty of niche columns, come have a read. Join the lazy million - yes, that many - that have read The Mongrel this year alone.

www.themongrelpunt.com

Cheers
HB

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

It's funny - I was pretty annoyed at he state of the AFL Media about five years ago. Mrs told me to put up or shut up. Said she'd make me a website. I said fine... she called my bluff and put one together same-day. Sooooo, she now has no right to complain when I spend time covering footy! Haha.

All the best - thanks for the support
HB

Last edited:
I don't update in here much, any more. Not sure how much traffic this forum gets, but appreciate anyone who has made their way over to my site from this thread.

We've got reviews of every game played this year, standalone articles, stats-based stuff, other bits that are a but of fun as we try to take ourselves a little less serious.

Drop over and see if you like it, or don't... either way is good with me. Cheers.

www.themongrelpunt.com

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back