Prediction The month ahead - mid season edition

How go we?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to Hamingja for rekindling this concept last month.

The mid season month with the bye shapes as the most important of the season, not just for Geelong.

For us it is:

Suns (H)
Magpies (A)
Bye
Port (A)
Bulldogs (H)

We will be clear favourites in the first two and go into the other two right in the mix.

How go we?

I fully expect us to have a good crack at all four. The first two should be relatively straight forward, but I honestly think the Dogs and Port will struggle with our forward line. If we are to cement top four they should be non-negotiable anyway - they are two teams we will be competing with for one of those spots, and we need to get into their heads that they cannot beat us.

I think we'll go 3-1. We'll win the next two, but drop one of the games against Port and the Dishlickers. I'm leaning towards the Port game since it's after the bye.

2-2 would be extremely disappointing.
3-1 would be par.
4-0 would be sensational.

Very confident against the Dogs at KP (wouldn’t be so much if it was at Marvel), and it’d be a disaster to drop either of the next two.

I assume we should get Danger back for either the Port or Dogs game? He will have missed 8 weeks if he’s back for Dogs.

When does Danger get back... The Dogs game?

Since 07 we have a good history over Port

Traditionally have played well against the Dogs at home.

As long as we stay fit ... with the players we have added. Id think 4-0 is a reasonable expectation.

He says likely after the bye, so Dogs game

I think we will go 2-2 dropping Pies and Port games, we dont play well against the pies on the G and always get jumped. If we do somehow come out with 4-0 then we will be clear premiership favorites.

4-0. Suns and pies winnable. Port just not doing enough for mine. ( although not sure where they sit with injuries) and its time to deal with the bye issues.
Dogs in Geelong- should win a close, entertaining match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will go 2-2 dropping Pies and Port games, we dont play well against the pies on the G and always get jumped. If we do somehow come out with 4-0 then we will be clear premiership favorites.

We've won 3 of the last 5 encounters against Collingwood at the MCG, so it's not like we play that poorly against them at that venue but you're right in that we don't often get the best start against them there

Doggies haven’t won in Geelong since R16 2003!
Backing they haven’t played there every year either. And this could be the best dogs version that will arrive at Geelong. Including 2016 version as they weren’t top 4 during the year.

When did we last play Coll somewhere else? that wasn't because of Covid?

They've played a few pre-season matches at KP - do they count?

Round 15, 10 July 1999 is the last time Collingwood ventured down the highway to KP for an in season match; we won by 3 points

Then we've got the following matches all played at Marvel
Round 14, 7 July 2001 - Geelong "home" game & we won by 18pts
Round 18, 2 August 2003 - Collingwood "home" game & they won by 24
Round 15, 9 July 2004 - Collingwood "home" game & we won by 29
Round 11, 3 June 2005 - Collingwood "home" game & they won by 25

They've played a few pre-season matches at KP - do they count?

Round 15, 10 July 1999 is the last time Collingwood ventured down the highway to KP for an in season match; we won by 3 points

Then we've got the following matches all played at Marvel
Round 14, 7 July 2000 - Geelong "home" game & we won by 18pts
Round 18, 2 August 2003 - Collingwood "home" game & they won by 24
Round 15, 9 July 2004 - Collingwood "home" game & we won by 29
Round 11, 3 June 2005 - Collingwood "home" game & they won by 25
Yep as bad as i thought it would look.

No Preseason games don't count.

We are finally getting Ess to come here Coll should be forced to next year and add Hawks to that as well.

Backing they haven’t played there every year either. And this could be the best dogs version that will arrive at Geelong. Including 2016 version as they weren’t top 4 during the year.

They've travelled down the highway on 9 occasions since 2003 - 2005, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2019

We should win the next two well. Port worries me as they have the height up forward and in the ruck to expose our weaknesses in those two positions and we often arent great off a bye. The dogs game is 50-50 but hopefully we have danger back by then and the fact that its on our home deck helps. Think we go 3-1.

We should win the next two well. Port worries me as they have the height up forward and in the ruck to expose our weaknesses in those two positions and we often arent great off a bye. The dogs game is 50-50 but hopefully we have danger back by then and the fact that its on our home deck helps. Think we go 3-1.
Lycett won’t be playing is a positive.

We've won 3 of the last 5 encounters against Collingwood at the MCG, so it's not like we play that poorly against them at that venue but you're right in that we don't often get the best start against them there

Seems like a lot of our previous games against them we have been playing catchup all game

Seems like a lot of our previous games against them we have been playing catchup all game

You're not wrong there. We've been behind at quarter time in 10 of the 14 times we've played them since the 2011 grand final, and we went on to lose 8 of those games.

Back