Prediction The month ahead - mid season edition

How go we?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

3-1 and would rather we beat Port and drop the dogs game as I don't want Port finishing top 2

AFL assisting the ‘can’t win after the bye’ narrative. Maybe instead of struggling off an extended break, we just have a tough matchup every time. I’ve said it before, but give us a game at KP and let’s see if the ‘post bye blues’ exist 🤔

How long does the bye have to count for it to be a bye?

We seemed to go ok off the extended break between rounds 1 & 2 last year, while under Scott we started the season with a win on 7 of the 11 occasions and that's generally coming off a bye of sorts if you want to count the break between the last pre-season match and the start of the season

Or is it just in-season byes that count when talking about matches after the bye?

How long does the bye have to count for it to be a bye?

We seemed to go ok off the extended break between rounds 1 & 2 last year, while under Scott we started the season with a win on 7 of the 11 occasions and that's generally coming off a bye of sorts if you want to count the break between the last pre-season match and the start of the season

Or is it just in-season byes that count when talking about matches after the bye?

Yeah, Round 1 has been reasonably solid - lost this year and lost, but 2016-2019 we won all our R1 games.

It seems to be those little 1-week layoffs that leave us in all kinds of strife. Outside Isaac's miss to give us the 2016 QF, we haven't won any of the first week finals (2017 - Tigers, 2018 - Demons, 2019 - Pies, 2020 - Port).

As for the bye week...

2016 - lost to Sydney 60-98 home (though the Swans finished on top)
2017 - lost to Eagles 70-83 away
2018 - lost to Dogs 101-103 away (Harry missed kick after the siren to win)
2019 - lost to Port 56-67 away
2020 - obviously no mid-season bye other than the 12 week break (different to 1 week off)

So yeah, AFL seems to like adding the extra little kick for our post-bye game - 3 out of 4 of those have been away. Still, it's a pretty bizarre mental block for the team and one that Scott's never been able to solve.

Buckley's last game as a player was against us in the underrated '07 prelim, which we won due to that iconic smother.

It would be adorable if we ended his coaching career against us too. I want a coach killing performance from the Cats is what I'm saying. Now we've got that beautiful dumb-dumb Izzy Smith running like a beast on the wings of the G and our three headed monster up forward, I can see a Collingwood thrashing happening if the boys get the same chemistry they had against the Tigers going. Or maybe I am just craving a Collingwood thrashing. I feel like I did before the Eagles game, just desperately wanting us to straight up murder an opposition. Let us end this man's entire career.

I went to the QClash. The Suns are beyond pitiful. If we don't win easily, even taking into consideration our lack of respect when against awful teams, I will feel very flat indeed. Obviously Port and the Dogs are huge danger games, especially Port after the bye and in Adelaide too. We could got 2-0, but I'm betting on 3-1. I would not be surprised if we went 4-0, but it would have to be a very pleasant surprise.

Back