Prediction The month ahead - mid season edition

How go we?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lycett won’t be playing is a positive.

Thats true but ladhams and hayes are still very good rucks imo which might force blicavs into the ruck and i worry about hendo and henry one out on dixon and marshall.

Would love to win them all, but I reckon we'll drop one, most likely Port. In fact we should just forfeit that game now such is our inability to resemble a competent football team the week after the mid-season bye.

Add in the fact that Port will have the blowtorch on them regarding their efforts against top 8 sides this year and it's a recipe for a loss.

Would love to win them all, but I reckon we'll drop one, most likely Port. In fact we should just forfeit that game now such is our inability to resemble a competent football team the week after the mid-season bye.

Add in the fact that Port will have the blowtorch on them regarding their efforts against top 8 sides this year and it's a recipe for a loss.
Speaking of which, when was the last time we had a soda of a matchup post bye? Reckon we have copped rough matchups almost every year for the past five or so years.

They've played a few pre-season matches at KP - do they count?

Round 15, 10 July 1999 is the last time Collingwood ventured down the highway to KP for an in season match; we won by 3 points

Then we've got the following matches all played at Marvel
Round 14, 7 July 2000 - Geelong "home" game & we won by 18pts
Round 18, 2 August 2003 - Collingwood "home" game & they won by 24
Round 15, 9 July 2004 - Collingwood "home" game & we won by 29
Round 11, 3 June 2005 - Collingwood "home" game & they won by 25

The first game on that list was actually in 2001. I remember it well as Clint Bizzell earnt quite a few Frequent Flyer points as he took 3-4 massive hangers in that game.

Speaking of which, when was the last time we had a soda of a matchup post bye? Reckon we have copped rough matchups almost every year for the past five or so years.

Essendon at the Gabba last year? Though I guess technically that wasn't a bye since we were only coming off a 9 day break.

Prior to that, we've had the following games after a bye:

2019 - Port Adelaide in Adelaide.
2018 - Bulldogs at Marvel.
2017 - West Coast in Perth.
2016 - Sydney at home.
2015 - North Melbourne at Marvel (after the game against Adelaide was also cancelled due to Phil Walsh's murder).
2014 - Fremantle in Perth.
2013 - Brisbane in Brisbane.
2012 - Sydney in Sydney.

So we've had 1 at home, 2 at Marvel and the rest were all interstate.

Last edited:
The first game on that list was actually in 2001. I remember it well as Clint Bizzell earnt quite a few Frequent Flyer points as he took 3-4 massive hangers in that game.
Noted and updated

We haven't turned up against a "weaker" side yet this season so I'm not necessarily confident of starting 2-0. And the Dogs are good enough that I'm not confident of that game being much better than a 50/50. And underdogs for the Port game so I think 2-2 is most likely.

Looking a little further ahead, the round 13-15 block is the most daunting of the year. Provided we don't s**t the bed against Suns and Pies (and if we do we're not much chop anyway), then those 3 games - Port, Bulldogs and Lions, with 2 away - are what will define our season and determine if we're any real shot at making the top 4. Those are 3 of the best sides right now so serve as the measuring stick for us, especially at their own home grounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL assisting the ‘can’t win after the bye’ narrative. Maybe instead of struggling off an extended break, we just have a tough matchup every time. I’ve said it before, but give us a game at KP and let’s see if the ‘post bye blues’ exist 🤔

We should win the next two well. Port worries me as they have the height up forward and in the ruck to expose our weaknesses in those two positions and we often arent great off a bye. The dogs game is 50-50 but hopefully we have danger back by then and the fact that its on our home deck helps. Think we go 3-1.
Lycett I think just misses our match. He's the one I worry about

Bombers last year though that was a short turn around regardless so not sure it counts

Collingwood have punched it in for the year. Players want a new voice. Not much chop in store for them against us.
Loss to Port is very likely and the Dogs game will be a thriller.
Short odds they sack buckles the week before they face us and get the new coach bounce

Back