The most annoying thing said about your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory, you have some ridiculously good record in Adelaide. You never lose to the Lions at the Gabba (some teams eventually slip up), rarely lose to GWS at Spotless. You travel extremely well and it's only really been games in Melbourne that you haven't been able to consistently overcome until this year. I think your new home ground which has similar dimensions to the MCG could have been a big factor in your success at the G' this year.
Your point is correct but the Spotless thing is meaningless. Apart from an incredible win in 2016 it's just where we were at.
We actually beat the Eagles three times in 2017 twice at Spotless and once at Subiaco.
This year they were better than us and beat us at Spotless and Optus. Home ground hasn't mattered much, which makes your point.

Don’t forget ...

Plastic franchise

No / s**t culture

Not a real football club

Ruining young kids’ careers

Should look up the road at Brisbane to see how to do it

Who wants to play in front of less than 10k

AFL’s love child

Etc etc

I feel like a kid in a candy store.

The Eagles song has grown on me. Eagles brand portrays clear blue skies and a powerful eagle growing out of and monitoring the land. The song matches it for me personally because WC has sort of a Hollywood/LA Lakers vibe about it, and so the song is fitting.

Apart from my own obviously, the Eagles song is my favorite.

That we are arrogant

Guess what ...we liked being called it ...lol

#arrogance with pride
#ownit
So if you like being called arrogant why post it in a thread titled "The most annoying thing said about your club"??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like WCE club song, i love the one they used in the 90's.
Freo's club song on the other hand:think:

Agree the Eagles version from the 80's & 90's was better, got you pumped up. The version we have now makes me want to put on a skivie and hold my wifes hand. Most of the time the club play's Eagle Rock which the whole crowd sing after the game, which is cool. Its good with that massive Eagle that soars around before games. Freo's song is garbage, they used to have a foam anchor getting pulled out with synthetic ropes by purple overall wearing wharfies. Some of the best choreography since Abba the musical there.

Love the vic club songs, nearly all of them except Carlton's which is abit dull. But it is traditional so that counts for something.

#freekickhawthorn annoys the hell out of me. (and it shouldn't).

I hate free kick whinging at any time. I think it's pathetic. But Free Kick Hawthorn came out of a couple of close games in a row where hawks got some calls/non-calls close to the end of games.

One was against Adelaide where Puopolo fumbled/dropped a mark right at the end and was also somehow pushed in the back and taken high at the same time, but because it was a close game and right at the end it was "ooooo won it with a free kick"

Soon after in a game against the saints it was close and the saints were chipping it around their backline and stuffed it up. The umpire said one of the kicks wasn't 15m and Jordan Lewis pressured and kicked a goal. It wasn't even enough to put the hawks in front. There was still 15 minutes left in the quarter. Apparently not long enough to overcome the injustice and maintain a lead that you've had the entire game.
- but it was after these two games that the free kick hawthorn thing hit fever pitch and morons hold onto it until this day.

People still whip it out as soon as Hawthorn have a good run. It's the most irritating form of confirmation bias.

One of the biggest myths in football has to be that 'Carlton has had lots of early draft picks for the last 10 years' and has been 'rebuilding for 20 years'. In fact, the opposite is true, and that's why we are where we are today.

In terms of our draft picks, here is what we have had in the past 10 years:
2008: pick 6, 40, 55
2009: pick 12, 43, 59
2010: pick 18, 34, 63
2011: pick 22, 44, 62
2012: pick 11, 35, 54
2013: pick 13, 39, 51
2014: pick 19, 28, 60
2015: pick 1, 10, 12, 23
2016: pick 6, 27, 47
2017: pick 3, 10, 30

In the 7 years prior to 2015, we had 1x pick in the top 10 of the draft (Chris Yarran 10 years ago, who is gone from the club), and only 8 picks in the top 30. We weren't rebuilding in that time period - we were trying to top up a team that was playing finals (2009-2013). We had a lot of speculative picks in compromised (and occasionally quite weak) drafts and did very poorly with those picks, while also not really adding much via trades with other teams.

So by 2015, we were in a horrific position - our core players were aging (29-30+), several key players entering their primes had walked out on the club (Yarran, Henderson) and we had basically zero players of quality in the 22-26 age group.

In the past 3 years we have managed to add 5x top 10 picks and 9x picks in the top 30. We've also added via trades 4x top 10 picks and 7x picks inside 30 from the 2012-2014 time period. Add in this year's crop and within 3 years we'll have added 10x top 10 picks, and 20x top 30 picks, all within the space of 3 years, which IS a lot of high draft picks an represents a complete list rebuild. The problem is that those players are still 23 and under, with the vast majority 20-21, which isn't yet old enough to contribute.

"Dude you go for Melbourne" - at our (inverse) peak, it was a conversation-ender.

Particularly galling was when members would cynically say it to one another...

(It may have just been me saying it idk)

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

they used to have a foam anchor getting pulled out with synthetic ropes by purple overall wearing wharfies. Some of the best choreography since Abba the musical there.

But this is a fantastic innovation that evokes a great outpouring of pride and sense of unity.

29oslqw.jpg

I'll take ABBA thanks.

But this is a fantastic innovation that evokes a great outpouring of pride and sense of unity.

29oslqw.jpg

I'll take ABBA thanks.
Yeah I’m not a fan of that , but I’ll get over it. We use a live Eagle, so... we win

I feel like a kid in a candy store.
A new one I’m seeing lately is where a club gets shafted in a trade deal, they’re being said to be “Gold Coasted”... in reference to the Weller and a third rounder for Pick 2, and West Coast first rounder for a gazillion second rounders.
Fair enough West Coast did us over in that trade, although not many picked them to finish so high, but at this stage we’re actually winning the Weller trade, with Lachie third in our BnF in his first year and us also picking up a very exciting prospect in Charlie Ballard with pick 42.

Flat track bullies. Especially when used by journos who should know better. (Actually this one annoys me no matter to which team it is applied.)

That Eagles fans "Boo" constantly. I've been to watch other teams play and we do it no more than anybody else. The difference is that our home games are generally pretty full and most of the spectators are Eagles supporters. Therefore, when we "boo" it's very obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back