darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Stevenage
Basically, what does everyone think is the most attractive F1 car? Doesn't have to be a modern car- could be one from the 70s if that's what you like.

For me, I am torn between these two:

williams-fw14b-renault.jpg

MCLAREN.jpg

Good idea for a thread, but it really is a no contest:
1200424_tst.jpg
:p

Tied for 2nd in my opinion are these two:
_proxy

lotus49.jpg

benetton.jpg

The late 80s/early 90s cars that people always mess themselves over (MP4/4/5/6 etc) do absolutely SFA for me.

1996 Williams Renault FW18
Damon%20Hill%20Williams%20FW18%2001_01.JPG

I fell in love with the Rothmans livery when I started watching F1 two years prior. Of the Rothmans liveried Williams, I think the 1996 FW18 is the best looking one.

1994 Williams Renault FW16B:
williams-renault_fw16b_194-7.jpg

Honourable mention to the McLaren Mercedes-Benz MP4/21. I absolutely adore the chrome silver colour.
mclaren_mp4_21_by_italymogul2-d41kta8.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the raised nose or of too many aerodynamic faux-wings, so most cars post-1994 are not my thing (except one). If I had to make a top 5, it would be:

5. Ferrari 412t (Alesi & Berger in 1995)
In my mind, the last truly beautiful Formula One car.
412T2.jpg

4. Auto Union Type D (Nuvolari & others in 1938)
(Not really F1, but...) Still looks futuristic (and a bit steam punk) today.
Carscoop_Auto_Union_1.jpg

3. Vanwall VW 5 (Moss & others in 1958)
By far the best looking front-engine F1 car (Maserati 250 second).
249745113_640.jpg

2. Lotus 49 (Clark & Hill in 1967)
The most elegant car with arguably the best driver ever.
jim-clark-lotus49.jpg

256.jpg

1. Lotus 72E (Fittipaldi & Peterson in 1972)
If I could buy just one F1 car, this would be it. Gorgeous, brilliant and that John Player Special livery is breathtaking.
98-6.jpg

Sigwald the first pic (that doesn't appear to be showing up) in mine was also a Lotus 49.

Edit: Pretty much all of the late 60's/mid 90's pointy nose cars are the winners for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was always a massive fan of BAR's 1999 livery

bar5.jpg

from memory they wanted to run dual liveries in their team (one car running the blue 555 livery and the other running the black and white lucky strike livery), but bernie didn't like it (or something like that), so they came up with this.

i was always a massive fan of BAR's 1999 livery

from memory they wanted to run dual liveries in their team (one car running the blue 555 livery and the other running the black and white lucky strike livery), but bernie didn't like it (or something like that), so they came up with this.

At the time, not sure about not, it was in the rules that each team had to have the same livery on both of their cars. They wanted to go all NASCAR/INDY like and have the livery diff on both cars.

Wasn't the fact Bernie didn't like it, was against the rules.

Best looking car for me is that 78 Lotus!

Another vote for the Lotus 79.
The Tyrrell 005 also does it for me too.

Curiously, both of those cars had very simple and bold liveries, which makes me think that the splodgy squiggly spray-painty vomitous things we see on cars now in attempt to be cool and edgy, simply do not work. The MGs in this year's BTCC prove that handsomely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back