The most average player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Stratton is probably up there for current players. Lynden Dunn is a challenger.

Ben Stratton average? As courageous as they come. Deceptively quick. Can play tall and small and always does his role. Quite often a feature of our top 10 in the B&F too I believe. Above average for sure.

Thought of one past hawthorn player today though who this thread was designed for. Stephen Gilham.
Pick 16 in the 2002 national draft for Port Adelaide. Played 1 game.
Went to Hawthorn and played 98. Only career highlight being the 2008 premiership.
Finished his career at GWS with 4 games.

Has anyone said Jarryd Blair?

Not sure anyone has mentioned him. There are plenty of Pies supporters who wish that Blairy would progress to average, but I reckon he's average and I've been happy with that. Still, it would be nice if our emerging players would improve enough to take his spot.

Chris Heffernan.. came as part of the Woewodin deal and at one stage was tipped as a potential Essendon captain after representing Australia in the international rules series in 2000.

Was a giant major flop for the dees! Dead set could not hit a target from 10m out and was just generally a training cone on the footy field.

Was never the same player after the cap squeezed him out of Ess. Honestly think it killed his spirit as a footballer.....similarly with Blumfield who left with him to go to Richmond.

Can’t agree with this nomination. Ando was a gun wingman of the comp at Essendon (was fav for Brownlow 1990) & was AA at Adelaide in his I’ll fated move back there in 93’. (Deserved to an Ess premiership player).

He tailed off pretty quick from memory due to injury 95>, but overall his career even stemming back to his pre VFL/AFL years at Port (Megarey Medallist) was exemplary.

Two blokes from Geelong mid 90’s teams symptomatic of their GF failures....

Steven Handley & David Mensch

Solid key position clubman that could play a role very well, but never deliver on the big stage.

Jamie Shanahan (Jarman says hello) prob falls into the same category for St Kilda & later Dees.

Brett Jones

Who you ask? Well he actually played 102 games (I just looked that up and cant believe he got that many) for West Coast including the 2006 premiership.

I cant for the life of me recall one moment of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps. Not sure his rig was average enough though.

images

I havent read the whole thread (f. that) but to be fair, Brodie Holland nor his wife (if still married) are quite average Sarita Stella.jpg

Can’t agree with this nomination. Ando was a gun wingman of the comp at Essendon (was fav for Brownlow 1990) & was AA at Adelaide in his I’ll fated move back there in 93’. (Deserved to an Ess premiership player).

He tailed off pretty quick from memory due to injury 95>, but overall his career even stemming back to his pre VFL/AFL years at Port (Megarey Medallist) was exemplary.

Yeah Greg Anderson was a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back