The most disappointing GF performance in 14 years

Remove this Banner Ad

lead balloon

Debutant
Sep 14, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Adelaide's 'effort' today was the worst performance for a long time in a grand final. There have definitely been bigger margins and heavier floggings, but this one stood out for me.

There's no shame in losing a grand final, there's been teams who have played their best footy and left nothing else on the park and come up short (Saints 09 Pies 11), there's been laughably poor performances on the biggest day; Port 119, Freo one goal in the first half in 2013, Eagles letting Hawks kick 9 unanswered in the first half in 2015, but those teams were all underdogs against some of the greatest opposition ever.

Favourites have lost recently too, the Swans in 14 and 16 would've been shattered at the time, but realistically nobody was beating their opponents on those days. Even teams like the Cats in 2008 kicked themselves out of it, but they were still well in the game late in the 3rd quarter, they only have themselves to blame.

However Adelaide came in today apparently as the highest scoring team with the most potent forward line, they were warm favourites, probably rightly so. I mean no disrespect to Richmond because they played fantastically and were deserved winners, but I don't think they are unbeatable by any stretch.

The Crows didn't fire a single shot, they were well out of it by halfway through the 3rd quarter, and on the balance of the game they were gone after quarter time. Betts, Walker, Jenkins and Otten were all abject failures when it mattered.

They blew a golden opportunity today and it's a long road back, definitely the worst performance since Collingwood in 2003 who went in as favourites and just got smoked all day.

Adelaide's 'effort' today was the worst performance for a long time in a grand final. There have definitely been bigger margins and heavier floggings, but this one stood out for me.

There's no shame in losing a grand final, there's been teams who have played their best footy and left nothing else on the park and come up short (Saints 09 Pies 11), there's been laughably poor performances on the biggest day; Port 119, Freo one goal in the first half in 2013, Eagles letting Hawks kick 9 unanswered in the first half in 2015, but those teams were all underdogs against some of the greatest opposition ever.

Favourites have lost recently too, the Swans in 14 and 16 would've been shattered at the time, but realistically nobody was beating their opponents on those days. Even teams like the Cats in 2008 kicked themselves out of it, but they were still well in the game late in the 3rd quarter, they only have themselves to blame.

However Adelaide came in today apparently as the highest scoring team with the most potent forward line, they were warm favourites, probably rightly so. I mean no disrespect to Richmond because they played fantastically and were deserved winners, but I don't think they are unbeatable by any stretch.

The Crows didn't fire a single shot, they were well out of it by halfway through the 3rd quarter, and on the balance of the game they were gone after quarter time. Betts, Walker, Jenkins and Otten were all abject failures when it mattered.

They blew a golden opportunity today and it's a long road back, definitely the worst performance since Collingwood in 2003 who went in as favourites and just got smoked all day.
It was a beautiful thing. Have no time for interstate teams ..... well done Tigers.

I am baffled as to how we didn't show up in a Grand Final. And it wasn't just a few players putting in a stinker, which always happens; it was 3/4 of the squad collectively not putting in the required effort. Surely the one game you show up for is the ******* Grand Final.

It was a truly disgraceful display from the Crows and we just capitulated to Richmond's superior pressure and game plan

Melbourne in 2000 takes the cake.

Melbourne were pathetic. Essendon were VERY strong though. The performance from the Dees was no surprise because whoever made it that year was going to cop a hiding. I agree with the OP. This performance by Adelaide was shameful. They played like a side with nothing to play for. Embarrassing performance.

Did Collingwood go in as favourites in 2003? Not how I recall it. Surely there's been no worse performance than Port in 2007.
Yes they were favourites in 2003, beat Brisbane in the QF. Ironically in 2002 nobody gave them a chance and they almost caused a massive upset.

Port obviously worse in terms of margin but Geelong were so far ahead of everyone else I don't think Port would've expected to win, unlike the Crows today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say I disagree with this. Just a clear lack of intent and desire, Richmond absolutely deserved it. As I said on the Crows board the Crows were 2 goals up in the grand final against Richmond surely you're up and about! Did not fire a single shot after that though.

Can't say I disagree with this. Just a clear lack of intent and desire, Richmond absolutely deserved it. As I said on the Crows board the Crows were 2 goals up in the grand final against Richmond surely you're up and about! Did not fire a single shot after that though.

It went downhill for the Crows the moment Aktins played on and got pinged for htb the Crows were all over the Tigers up until that point imo.

West Coast 2015, Sydney 2014, St Kilda 2010 replay and in particular Port Adelaide 119 were just as bad, if not worse than Adelaide today

Crows had the opportunity in the second quarter to put on some scoreboard pressure but missed chances. Richmond took theirs and the lead in the same qtr. Crows did a lot of kicking into the man on the mark, kicking way too close to the man on the mark and handballs that weren't hitting their mark.

Unfortunately the Crows soiled themselves today as we did in '13. We get told that the crowd is 50-50 come gf but I can't believe that so many neutrals would be cheering that loudly for Richmond. As well as the Tigers share of tickets, it sounded like all the MCC members and then some were Tigers supporters. One of the benefits of playing your home ground I suppose.

I think you will find in most cases when an interstate team plays a vic team in a gf, the interstate team are always the last to settle, Sydney '12 one of the exceptions. Crows were scared and it showed.

I am baffled as to how we didn't show up in a Grand Final. And it wasn't just a few players putting in a stinker, which always happens; it was 3/4 of the squad collectively not putting in the required effort. Surely the one game you show up for is the ******* Grand Final.

It was a truly disgraceful display from the Crows and we just capitulated to Richmond's superior pressure and game plan

Drank their own bath water -> Adelaide media.
Went in as favourites and had the Adelaide media pissing in their pockets.
Rocked up thinking it would just happen and were not prepared for the heat Richmond brought

Were any of them favourite to win though and took out minor premiers?
Sydney 2014 were minor premiers and had been in far more convincing form than Hawthorn that year

West Coast finished above Hawthorn in 2015 and had beaten them only 3 weeks beforehand at Subi

Maybe St Kilda and Port were outsiders, but they still didn't show up

If you don't show up in a GF then you deserve to be criticised

Remove this Banner Ad

Back