The most disappointing GF performance in 14 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood waited until Round 3 to unfurl their 2010 flag because thats when they played us. And hey man, i get it. You guys read a lot into your identity and feel the need to validate yourselves by measuring your successes against ours. Its cool, you guys did well. Congrats :thumbsu:

Or maybe because it was their first game at the G.

I have a vivid memory of the Saints kicking lots of points that day. Watching the game, you were far far the better side, in terms of possession and owning the game.
Turn it up drunkard.

Did you say that about Cats 08?
At no stage were we ever far behind or far ahead.
The fact they could not score a single goal in the last Q of a GF is where the game was won and lost.
Cats tried to win it, Saints tried to stop us from doing so.
I did yes. Geelong kicked lots of points in 08. St Kilda also kicked pretty badly in 09
I recall.

Good point re preliminary final. You beat the Dogs but you didn't look pretty doing it, and Hawthorn really put St Kilda to the sword. They definitely hit the game in better form, BUT, your kicking was woeful! So many opportunities went by the by because you missed really gettable goals. It really only takes one or two goals in your favour and the game is back on your terms.

But, hey, thems the breaks. You won two more after that and have been an absolute force since 2007. Lots of clubs would love a GF loss to take 3 flags!
I have a feeling your team is due and ready next year. Whether can win a GF first year in finals is debatable, but it all just has to click.

I have a feeling your team is due and ready this year. Whether can win a GF first year in finals is debatable, but it all just has to click.
We won't get anywhere near a GF. Need to play finals first before any discussion is had re premierships. It actually really starts with beating you guys in round one. It's a huge game for us.

What do you care? You won!
I care cause I have to continually listen to Saints (and other) supporters) bang on about it, how "they should have won", how "they deserved to win". The Cats comprehensively had their measure after half time.

I have a vivid memory of the Saints kicking lots of points that day. Watching the game, you were far far the better side, in terms of possession and owning the game.

The conditions were horrendous which gave Geelong the upper hand.

I care cause I have to continually listen to Saints (and other) supporters) bang on about it, how "they should have won", how "they deserved to win". The Cats comprehensively had their measure after half time.
Oh I never said they should've won! And they didn't deserve it at all. You only deserve to win when you kick a higher score than the opposition. It doesn't matter if you kick 10.20.80 and lose to a side that kicks 13.3.81, you're not better just because you have 30 shots at goal, your opponent is for kicking 13 from 16!

???? How exactly? The game was won by 12 points (goal after the siren as well). Geelong weren't favoured by the weather mate.

Riewoldt and Kosi kicked over 110 goals that season and Roo was the most dominant player in the game that year. The wet conditions helped nullify their dominance. The game was a 6 point game when the siren went.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood waited until Round 3 to unfurl their 2010 flag because thats when they played us. And hey man, i get it. You guys read a lot into your identity and feel the need to validate yourselves by measuring your successes against ours. Its cool, you guys did well. Congrats :thumbsu:
Please tell me more of this success of yours we measure ourselves against...

Coaches and players were equal on the day to there direct opposition sometimes things go against you.

ya got a free goal on halftime for abusive language though....

I didn't see a 'double goal' for years until papley milked one down at the cattery this year

Thanks.
Must be awesome you guys get to see the 2010 and 2017 premiership flags unfurled.

I'll be attending round one to see that. And for 4 points. Don't worry, you guys are building. If all goes to plan, in a few years, you too may have a shot at contending.

Until then, enjoy the spoils of a 90,000 attendance in round one and a shared gate.
Ummm no shared gate, blues put paid to that a few years ago when it was their home game and our only clash for the year i think and wanted all the gate for themselves.

Until then, enjoy the spoils of a 90,000 attendance in round one and a shared gate.

February 5 2015
Blues win gate-sharing deal over Tigers

The four points may still be up for grabs but Carlton has had an early win over Richmond, revealing they will pocket the entire gate receipts from the season-opening blockbuster at the MCG.
Blues chief executive Steven Trigg confirmed on Thursday night the gate-sharing agreement between the clubs was over.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-win-gatesharing-deal-over-tigers-20150205-137b00.html

I havent rewatched this years GF but my clear memory was crows trailing by less than 2 goals half time and thinking they would come out fired up and make key changes.

Instead the game meandered on, Crows were listless and just watched it go by.

Nah thats not what happened. History has been rewritten by interstate club posters here. Apparently they played reasonably and only lost due to Richmonds home ground advantage

Ummm no shared gate, blues put paid to that a few years ago when it was their home game and our only clash for the year i think and wanted all the gate for themselves.
Yeah I knew someone would pick up on it.
Hopefully their new CEO has more brains than the previous and puts forward a reasonable proposal to us.

Nah thats not what happened. History has been rewritten by interstate club posters here. Apparently they played reasonably and only lost due to Richmonds home ground advantage

Well, that and Dusty (who isn't really that good and didn't deserve the Norm Smith) carried other the 21 spuds in the team across the line.

Im backing Crows in to use the loss as a spur towards taking the next step to a flag
That was a pretty comprehensive loss in the GF with few players showing any grit. That is a serious mental scar to overcome, including and especially their captain.

Although they do have a few players that stood up (Crouch, Sloane, Laird, Lever) so maybe they can rebuild around them (well except Lever).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back