The most important metric when judging a player's career ?

Bartel was an excellent player and stood up heaps when we needed it but he’s realistically behind Ablett Jr, Selwood, Enright, Scarlett and probably Johnson and Hawkins across the successful period
If you say so
Though I think the difference between Bartlel and any of those players, and correct me if I’m wrong, Bartel won AA selection in different positions.
He certainly played significant roles in the three main areas of the ground over his career not just rolling in and out.
Only one other player, Simon Black has
300 games
Norm Smith
Brownlow

Probably joined by Martin if he stays healthy for this season and next.
Pretty exceptional career by Bartel.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If you say so
Though I think the difference between Bartlel and any of those players, and correct me if I’m wrong, Bartel won AA selection in different positions.
He certainly played significant roles in the three main areas of the ground over his career not just rolling in and out.
Only one other player, Simon Black has
300 games
Norm Smith
Brownlow

Probably joined by Martin if he stays healthy for this season and next.
Pretty exceptional career by Bartel.

He did have an exceptional career but he didn’t get picked in the AA team from multiple positions. He was picked in 07-08 as a traditional on-baller and that was it

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Bartel > Selwood

Interesting post.. but i tend to agree. Selwood was a good solid player, probably ends up ahead of Cotchin but behind Pendlebury in terms of career rankings. Bartel was an exceptional midfielder and even though a Bromlow medallist & Norm Smith Medalist I feel is still underrated, only has 2 All Australians but was in an era that had GAJ, Judd, Cousins, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury, Hodge so opportunities are few and far between.

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting post.. but i tend to agree. Selwood was a good solid player, probably ends up ahead of Cotchin but behind Pendlebury in terms of career rankings. Bartel was an exceptional midfielder and even though a Bromlow medallist & Norm Smith Medalist I feel is still underrated, only has 2 All Australians but was in an era that had GAJ, Judd, Cousins, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury, Hodge so opportunities are few and far between.

He was a very versatile footballer, ice man in the clinch & would occasionally explode with all-time performances

That he is only a 2 x AA speaks volumes to how much of a useless metric it is

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I would place him in front of Enright and the equal of Johnson
3B84EE85-7325-4E1F-8452-6B6E942B1D5D.png

I actually think Johnson is the player that gets most overlooked from that era. Incredible numbers and I think he suffers from the fact that he had such a mercurial reputation

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Selwood has been a great player for Geelong and a very good servant of the club, but he seems to of become twice as good since he retired?
To the contrary, people have short memories with the tail end of Selwood's career fresh in their minds.

He was consistently in the top 5 to 10 players in the competition for the better part of a decade, suggest bookended by his first and last All-Australians in 2009 and 2017 respectively.

Add to that his leadership and he's actually in that mix of players that sit above the 'standard' AFL Hall of Famer's but just a notch below Legend status.

Selwood has been a great player for Geelong and a very good servant of the club, but he seems to of become twice as good since he retired?
Does the following suggest a player who has become twice as good since he retired?

Back