The most likely 2021 AFL Grand Final matchup

Remove this Banner Ad

So early in the season people were saying we haven't beaten anyone.
Now that we have, we are peaking too early.
That’s bigfooty logic. Don’t worry if you win the flag this year it will be because of your home ground advantage. Hell we even copped unfair advantage calls in 2020 as our team had the advantage of bonding for over 100 days in a hotel.

What I want: Dogs vs Dees
Dogs or Dees vs Lions

What I'd settle for: Dees or Dogs vs Richmond

What I don't want: Richmond vs Geelong.

What we'll get: Richmond vs Geelong.

I think a couple of these teams might have snuck past the Tigers, but still I wouldn’t mind seeing Lions, Dogs or Demons v Tigers in the GF, even if we were to lose, I think we’d make an excellent pantomime villain losing Grand Finalist.

I think the Demons are destined to make it. The other spot is really up for grabs but I think Lions, Cats, Tigers are the main three, I think the Dogs are just off it. If Eagles beat the Tigers this weekend, and imo they are a big chance, I think it tells us the Tigers are struggling to get anywhere and Demons v Cats/Lions might be the grand Final. Eagles definitely not counted out but wouldn’t want much else to go wrong.

I think a couple of these teams might have snuck past the Tigers, but still I wouldn’t mind seeing Lions, Dogs or Demons v Tigers in the GF, even if we were to lose, I think we’d make an excellent pantomime villain losing Grand Finalist.

I think the Demons are destined to make it. The other spot is really up for grabs but I think Lions, Cats, Tigers are the main three, I think the Dogs are just off it. If Eagles beat the Tigers this weekend, and imo they are a big chance, I think it tells us the Tigers are struggling to get anywhere and Demons v Cats/Lions might be the grand Final. Eagles definitely not counted out but wouldn’t want much else to go wrong.

Nothing to disagree with there aside from the take on the Dogs. Dunkley and Treloar still to return. That's massive leading into September.

Richmond are all set up to do a Hawthorn 2016 / Sydney 2017 and be the team that everyone talks up despite their mediocre record, until suddenly they drop a semi-final and it's all over.

This year is about Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong, and the Dogs.

The latter are the hardest to pick, and the most likely to implode between now and September. Second most likely to blow up is Geelong, but I respect the fire of teams that lost GFs the year before, so forced to pick, I'll say Dees v Cats.

Interesting that you say that given Squiggle loves the Dogs.

Nothing to disagree with there aside from the take on the Dogs. Dunkley and Treloar still to return. That's massive leading into September.

I worry about the Dogs. They can’t get Martin right and if English has to play in the ruck he still gets pushed aside too easily and it really affects them. Also, I think the stronger midfields can go with the Dogs’ much touted midsection and we get a bit seduced by the Dogs mids running rings around weaker lineups.

Dunkley and Treloar back as you say should strengthen them but as GWS have shown at times, you can have stunning depth in your midfield but if the opposition best 4 beats your best 4 the depth isn’t worth so much.

I worry about the Dogs. They can’t get Martin right and if English has to play in the ruck he still gets pushed aside too easily and it really affects them. Also, I think the stronger midfields can go with the Dogs’ much touted midsection and we get a bit seduced by the Dogs mids running rings around weaker lineups.

Dunkley and Treloar back as you say should strengthen them but as GWS have shown at times, you can have stunning depth in your midfield but if the opposition best 4 beats your best 4 the depth isn’t worth so much.

I guess, however a 10-2 record suggests everything is clicking for them. I expect them to be there at the final 4 with every chance of making it.

Stop trying to make out you guys are underdogs this Sunday against us. Typical low underhanded Eagles strategy designed to put more pressure on us. 😂😂

ffs we are playing at optus

the same doom filled oval where essendon …. ESSENDON … have beaten us not once but TWICE

whilst richmond are flying over for a lovely working holiday in sunny wa all relaxed and chilled..

WE ARE STUCK AT HOME DOING THE WEEKLY GRIND!

We are no chance

What I want: Dogs vs Dees
Dogs or Dees vs Lions

What I'd settle for: Dees or Dogs vs Richmond

What I don't want: Richmond vs Geelong.

What we'll get: Richmond vs Geelong.

Geez hope not. I didn't even bother watching 3/4s osf last year's game. Both teams on top of my 'couldnt care less' list.

Had a better time cooking the bbq and having a beers with mates who also couldn't care less.

Maybe it was the half empty stadium and fake crowd noise. Also being so late we were all well past half tanked.

Was just really......meh!

Geez hope not. I didn't even bother watching 3/4s osf last year's game. Both teams on top of my 'can't care Lee's list.

Had a better time cooking the bbq and having a beer with mates who also couldn't care less.

Maybe it was the half empty stadium and fake crowd noise. Also being so late we were all well past half tanked.

Was just really......meeehhhh!

Yeah, I'm sure even both teams supporters can agree that it was a horrible match up for neutral fans.

I thought that heading into 2014 too, but the Buddy narrative did add a little extra drama.

Richmond will play GF then their opponents out of Brisbane or Geelong.

i just feel melbourne and bulldogs will do a Port and brisbane of 2020 do wellor are the best in the H and A matches just falls apart come finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm sure even both teams supporters can agree that it was a horrible match up for neutral fans.

I thought that heading into 2014 too, but the Buddy narrative did add a little extra drama.

At least when you have teams from different states that adds some interest and banter.

State v State stuff.

Or at least have one 'fairy tale' side who hasn't won a flag for decades

ffs we are playing at optus

the same doom filled oval where essendon …. ESSENDON … have beaten us not once but TWICE

whilst richmond are flying over for a lovely working holiday in sunny wa all relaxed and chilled..

WE ARE STUCK AT HOME DOING THE WEEKLY GRIND!

We are no chance

Yes, but kranky, you conveniently forget we cannot win on the road, and rely solely on being gifted umpteen games per annum at Punt Road ii Oval in order to even compete with interstate colossi such as the venerable Eagles. Must I remind you, your average winning margin against us at this venue is 47 points, and we have NEVER beaten you there. So your anguish at the hands of Essendon Bombers Football Club is little more than a red and black herring my friend. 😁

An inspired Eagles off a superb backs to the wind defeat of Carltoon look unstoppable here to me. Eagles by 47. 😎

Yes, but kranky, you conveniently forget we cannot win on the road, and rely solely on being gifted umpteen games per annum at Punt Road ii Oval in order to even compete with interstate colossi such as the venerable Eagles. Must I remind you, your average winning margin against us at this venue is 47 points, and we have NEVER beaten you there. So your anguish at the hands of Essendon Bombers Football Club is little more than a red and black herring my friend. 😁

An inspired Eagles off a superb backs to the wind defeat of Carltoon look unstoppable here to me. Eagles by 47. 😎

Has Richmond ever played the Eagles at Optus?

Yes but average winning margin at optus counts for very little when the average is accrued from so few games…. Er … game

Also pic confirms:

27A378EF-BD63-4A0B-8505-CA372393C83C.jpeg
Eagles underdogs…..

Melbourne v Geelong. Two of the oldest teams to meet on the final day.
Premiers - Geelong. Mirroring the 2011 season 10 years later.
How would that happen? Geelong won the first 13 straight that year and beat their grand final opponent 3 times. massive percentage with two wins over 150 And another 100 point win.

We have already lost to Melbourne this year and our percentage is sh**.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back