The most ridiculous/funny/stupid thing you have ever heard a commentator say

Jul 30, 2008
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
This isn't footy related, but during the cricket about 15 years ago, around when the 12th Man was massive.

Australia was playing a one dayer against Sri Lanka, and one of the Aussie quicks caught the edge of the bat and it flew to between the keeper and 1st slip, caught by Mark Taylor, but given "not out".

Anyway, Bill Lawrie said he didn't hit it, Tony Grieg said he did, and they argued back and forth for a few mins. Tony Grieg then says, whilst the reply is showing, "Look you pidgeon lover, you can see the red mark on his bat where he nicked it". Bill Lawry started laughing, and in a dead ringer for the 12th Man Bill Lawry said "There using a white ball, Tony you idiot".

Funniest sporting exchange i have ever heard, god i wish i could find it on Youtube!
cant remember who said it but someone said "Hes Usually A Good Puller But This Time He Just Couldnt Get It Up"

The dele larmer

All Australian
May 20, 2008
wantirna sth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
cricket
One Big foot in mouth-Suzy O'Neil commenting on the 200 metres girls relay final ,She Canned some of the girls in the team saying they should not be in the team.Result they broke the WORLD RECORD by nearly 6 seconds! SUZY A BIG OOOOOPS:eek:

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
I haven't read back through the whole thread so I don't know if this one's already been mentioned, but it should be - Jack "Captain Blood" Dyer commentating one fine day, referring to a tackle: "...he wrapped his arms around him like a pair of giant testicles..." Yeah, to those who know it it's an oldie, but one that will live forever:D

Feb 28, 2007
north
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood V Port
Commetti ...again...man this guy has a lot...said something like...

He just seems to know its there even when he can't see it. Like a man searching for his car keys.

Had a good chuckle at that one.

Sanks

Senior List
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just before Conolly got the gig at Crapmantle I heard Gary Lyon say a couple of times that the freo coaching job is 'the plumb job going around'

bigcatman

All Australian
Jun 3, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Geelong
olympic closing ceremony....rebecca wilson talking about the pommy idol winner (dont know her name)singing...rebecca said "this is the biggest stage she has ever been on"
no sh!t

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
olympic closing ceremony....rebecca wilson talking about the pommy idol winner (dont know her name)singing...rebecca said "this is the biggest stage she has ever been on"
no sh!t

Im starting to wonder if she researches like... anything? Because she is responsible for so many comments where you end up scratching your head wondering what the hell she is on about.

bushranger58

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2008
Hiding From The Trappers
Other Teams
Richmond Tigers
I just love it when all game long they sing the praises for a team. Then this team loses and then they try to hide it by talking up players that they hardly mentioned thoughout their whole call.
Egg on their faces. :)

polly63

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2008
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
no sh!t
That followed her ridiculous comment about how wonderfully welcoming the Chinese people had been. 'Totally unexpected' according to Wilson, who obviously has stereotypes off pat. Appallingly ignorant.

krusden

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2008
34 55' 54"S, 138 36'04" E
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
When they're not belting us, NZ
Remember once that someone asked Malcolm Blight for a comment regarding a passage of play and he just made a noise like he was choking - sounded all the world like a beer went down the wrong way. Sometimes I think "Blighty" can't handle the confines of the box and goes stir-crazy and needs "refreshment":)

What is it with Sydney based news outlets reporting on AFL?

Reminds me of Tim Webster on Sports Tonight telling everyone that "Nathan Buckley had resigned". He meant to say re-signed.

Or he was 20 years ahead of time :oops:

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Abbey Holmes said a few weeks ago during the Melbourne vs Carlton game: “he pulled himself off onto the bench”

https://i.stack.imgur.com/X9pmem.png

Back