Opinion The most underrated player from each club thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd expand this and say most modern KPDs are overrated. The modern game involves a lot of team defense and midfield defending, and individual defenders matter less than before. Guys like McGovern and Rance are great but I think the 90s, which was more one-on-one was more tougher for key backs. Coaches have figured out how to neutralise the big forward through tactics which is why you never see a four-five goal a game forward anymore. This is why I also believe most contemporary KPFs are underrated because they have to put up with things forwards of yesteryear.

Spot on. A few weeks back Lloyd did a video of the best kicks into the forward fifty and they were mostly mids 90's players. What stood out was how much space they had to kick it into. They could all take the pace off the kicks and just float them. With today's zoning off and defensive supporting it isn't a luxury that's available very often.

Cotchins commitment to team football is very impressive but there’s a limit to how highly you can rate a player in his role imo. It’s hard to say he’s underrated given he has had plenty of recognition for his leadership roles imo.

He has never really recaptured the form from 2012 where he had genuine hurt factor with his disposal.

LOL.

BF back then always said that he was racking up numbers but not hurting the opposition...

[
LOL.

BF back then always said that he was racking up numbers but not hurting the opposition...

I don’t think that’s a true reflection of the sentiment around his 2012 season at all. His years post 2012 definitely but from my memory Cotchin looked poised to be one of the best mids in the comp but a knee injury impacted his 2013 and he never reached the same personal heights again.

Macmillan is quite possibly the worst 150 gamer I’ve ever seen

a defender that can’t defend or tackle
Jamie MacMillan 188cm 89 kg Pick 37 2009 draft from the Oakleigh Chargers:

Games: 158
Disposals: 2,762 , Kicks 1,644 , Handballs 1,118
Marks: 694
Effective Disposals: 2,168
Disposal Efficiency: 78.50%, High 86.70%, Low 69.10%
One Percenters: 347

A predominately uncontested player Jamie MacMillan uses his strengths for the benefit of the team.

A predominately uncontested player Jamie MacMillan uses his strengths for the benefit of the team.
That’s the thing Macmillan not only can’t defend but has no hurt factor with ball in hand and constantly turns it over

MacMillan is part of a group of players who Scott continued to pick who never took the side anywhere. Other players like Atley, Bastinac, Mullett and Sam Wright were given way too many chances. He's a half back flanker who doesn't take the game on and his defensive skills are meh. North were hoping he'd become a Bradley Sheppard type but just hasn't.

MacMillan is part of a group of players who Scott continued to pick who never took the side anywhere. Other players like Atley, Bastinac, Mullett and Sam Wright were given way too many chances. He's a half back flanker who doesn't take the game on and his defensive skills are meh. North were hoping he'd become a Bradley Sheppard type but just hasn't.

Bit harsh on Atley he never kicked on to become an A grader but has always been solid or better in his role imo

North were hoping he'd become a Bradley Sheppard type but just hasn't.
Bradley Sheppard 187cm 85kg Pick 7 2009 Draft from East Fremantle:

Games: 179
Disposals: 2,836 , Kicks 1,771 , Handballs 1,065
Marks: 894
Effective Disposals: 2,239
Disposal Efficiency: 78.90% , High 87.50%, Low 69.70%
One Percenters: 530

Another predominately uncontested player Bradley Sheppard is a better mark then Jamie MacMillan, but he was drafted 30 Picks
sooner maybe for a reason. Bradley Sheppard was in my All Australian team last year, not that you get any prizes for that.

Bit harsh on Atley he never kicked on to become an A grader but has always been solid or better in his role imo

Ok but Atley should have been dropped a few times to let him know that his role wasn't assured. Scott never did that and Atley has coasted. Didn't help that Scott was a poor developer of youth. When you look at his career, where he may well play 300 games, do you think he stands up as a player worthy of so many games?

Bradley Sheppard 187cm 85kg Pick 7 2009 Draft from East Fremantle:

Games: 179
Disposals: 2,836 , Kicks 1,771 , Handballs 1,065
Marks: 894
Effective Disposals: 2,239
Disposal Efficiency: 78.90% , High 87.50%, Low 69.70%
One Percenters: 530

Another predominately uncontested player Bradley Sheppard is a better mark then Jamie MacMillan, but he was drafted 30 Picks
sooner maybe for a reason. Bradley Sheppard was in my All Australian team last year, not that you get any prizes for that.

Was MacMillan a chance to get a gig in your AA side?

I just don't think he's underrated. He's not rated because he's mediocre and doesn't elevate the side above mediocre status. A lot of North players were overrated by Scott as he had his favourites who he would back in and try and top up with stars from other clubs. He failed to realise that the favourites were often rubbish and his stars weren't good enough to elevate the side to flag contenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever said defenders generally are becoming overrated due to zoning and and coaches spending 30 hours a week cutting up vision for 30 hours a week to blunt key forwards and minimise one on one contests is spot on I reckon.

Adelaide: Atkins
Brisbane: Martin
Carlton: Ed Curnow
Collingwood: Mihocek
Essendon: Hooker
Fremantle: Tucker
Geelong: Duncan
Gold Coast: Fiorini
GWS: Hopper
Hawthorn: Smith
Melbourne: Lockhart
North Melbourne: Higgins
Richmond: Riewoldt
St. Kilda: Clarke
Sydney: Mills
West Coast: Cripps
Western Bulldogs: Crozier

Adelaide: Atkins
Brisbane: Martin
Carlton: Ed Curnow
Collingwood: Mihocek
Essendon: Hooker
Fremantle: Tucker
Geelong: Duncan
Gold Coast: Fiorini
GWS: Hopper
Hawthorn: Smith
Melbourne: Lockhart
North Melbourne: Higgins
Richmond: Riewoldt
St. Kilda: Clarke
Sydney: Mills
West Coast: Cripps
Western Bulldogs: Crozier

Port Adelaide?

My Port nominee is Tom Clurey.

Port Adelaide?

My Port nominee is Tom Clurey.

I like Clurey too but to different I'll go Karl Amon, averaged 20 touches last year and is great by foot and most people wouldn't know his name. Though I genuinely think Duursma is up there in the competition for most damage per possession and most people view him only as a promising kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back