Opinion The most underrated player from each club thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As opposed to the most overrated thread also here, who is underrated at each club? I have taken one or two players from the "overrated" list that baffled me.

Adelaide: Daniel Talia. The guy doesn't lose. It just doesn't happen. The best lock down defender in the league for me.
Brisbane: Stefan Martin. For me, the clear #3 ruck behind Gawn and Grundy. Not a fantastic ruck technician but is fantastic around the ground, his mobility and hands are a couple of features
Carlton: Lachie Plowman. The guy has averaged over 5 intercept possessions a game since moving down. Really good mark and a pretty handy leg too.
Collingwood: Jack Crisp. Just keeps finding the ball and hits his teammates. Has the most games in a row in the league.
Essendon: Adam Saad. This is one that baffled me in the overrated thread. Does anyone outside of our supporter group notice how he usually takes the best small forwards and beats them?
Fremantle: Alex Pearce. One of the few players in the league that has the height and strength to play on Hawkins and then next week have the speed to lock down Eddie Betts.
Geelong: Brandan Parfitt. The guy's hard, quick and has pretty good skills, can't believe how many are sleeping on him.
Gold Coast: Sam Day. Turned himself into a good, solid player.
GWS: Harry "Don't Pay the" Perryman. Two way working winger who kicks goals? Where do I sign?
Hawthorn: Luke Breust. Bloke is the best small forward for the past 5 years.
Melbourne: Oscar McDonald. The guy can defend really stoutly, not a great intercept marker but can impact everywhere
North Melbourne: Jed Anderson. Guy is one classy mofo.
Richmond: Jayden Short. Has a 60 metre bullet, decent speed, and overall is a pretty good rookie bounty
St. Kilda: Callum Wilkie. Great intercept player and a good kick in general.
Sydney: Will Hayward. He can turn a game by himself. Strong player.
West Coast: Jack Redden. Very good midfielder and is as important as anyone.
Western Bulldogs: Jack Macrae. Guy's a legit gun.

What do you guys think?

Tom Hawkins cops a fair bit from opposition fans and a lot of my tigers supporting brothers but I genuinely think he is in the top handful of key forwards in the comp and does not get the respect he deserves

Also people love to talk about Grundy, Gawn and Goldstein as the premier rucks in the comp but big Sam Jacobs and big boy mcovoy from hawthorn deserve to be talked about a lot more than they do

been consistent as * over long periods of time

Geelong: Brandan Parfitt. The guy's hard, quick and has pretty good skills, can't believe how many are sleeping on him.
Not for me. Giant cocktease.
Doesn’t do enough.

The answer is Hawkins

Tom Hawkins cops a fair bit from opposition fans and a lot of my tigers supporting brothers but I genuinely think he is in the top handful of key forwards in the comp and does not get the respect he deserves

Also people love to talk about Grundy, Gawn and Goldstein as the premier rucks in the comp but big Sam Jacobs and big boy mcovoy from hawthorn deserve to be talked about a lot more than they do

been consistent as fu** over long periods of time
McEvoy is a flat track bully and deserves to be in the overrated thread. Consistently gets mauled by the likes of Gawn, Grundy, Goldstein and Martin

As opposed to the most overrated thread also here, who is underrated at each club? I have taken one or two players from the "overrated" list that baffled me.

Adelaide: Daniel Talia. The guy doesn't lose. It just doesn't happen. The best lock down defender in the league for me.
Brisbane: Stefan Martin. For me, the clear #3 ruck behind Gawn and Grundy. Not a fantastic ruck technician but is fantastic around the ground, his mobility and hands are a couple of features
Carlton: Lachie Plowman. The guy has averaged over 5 intercept possessions a game since moving down. Really good mark and a pretty handy leg too.
Collingwood: Jack Crisp. Just keeps finding the ball and hits his teammates. Has the most games in a row in the league.
Essendon: Adam Saad. This is one that baffled me in the overrated thread. Does anyone outside of our supporter group notice how he usually takes the best small forwards and beats them?
Fremantle: Alex Pearce. One of the few players in the league that has the height and strength to play on Hawkins and then next week have the speed to lock down Eddie Betts.
Gold Coast: Sam Day. Turned himself into a good, solid player.
GWS: Harry "Don't Pay the" Perryman. Two way working winger who kicks goals? Where do I sign?
Hawthorn: Luke Breust. Bloke is the best small forward for the past 5 years.
Melbourne: Oscar McDonald. The guy can defend really stoutly, not a great intercept marker but can impact everywhere
North Melbourne: Jed Anderson. Guy is one classy mofo.
Richmond: Jayden Short. Has a 60 metre bullet, decent speed, and overall is a pretty good rookie bounty
St. Kilda: Callum Wilkie. Great intercept player and a good kick in general.
Sydney: Will Hayward. He can turn a game by himself. Strong player.
West Coast: Jack Redden. Very good midfielder and is as important as anyone.
Western Bulldogs: Jack Macrae. Guy's a legit gun.

What do you guys think?
How do you mean under rated

Talia is an AA x 2

Wouldn't say that's under rated

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Underrate: (verb) to underestimate.

Adelaide: Luke Brown
Brisbane: Darcy Gardiner
Carlton: Nic Newman
Collingwood: Chris Mayne
Essendon: Matt Guelfi
Fremantle: Darcy Tucker
Geelong: Jake Kolodjashnij
Gold Coast: Darcy Macpherson
GWS: Sam Taylor

Hawthorn: Blake Hardwick
Melbourne: Jay Lockhart
North Melbourne: Jamie Macmillan
Port Adelaide: Darcy Byrne-Jones
Richmond: Nathan Broad
St Kilda: Shane Savage
Sydney: Jordan Dawson
West Coast: Brad Sheppard
Western Bulldogs: Patrick Lipinski (The File)

Adelaide: Luke Brown
Brisbane: Darcy Gardiner
Carlton: Nic Newman
Collingwood: Chris Mayne
Essendon: Matt Guelfi
Fremantle: Darcy Tucker
Geelong: Jake Kolodjashnij
Gold Coast: Darcy Macpherson
GWS: Sam Taylor

Hawthorn: Blake Hardwick
Melbourne: Jay Lockhart
North Melbourne: Jamie Macmillan
Port Adelaide: Darcy Byrne-Jones
Richmond: Nathan Broad
St Kilda: Shane Savage
Sydney: Jordan Dawson
West Coast: Brad Sheppard
Western Bulldogs: Patrick Lipinski (The File)
Guelfi isn't underrated. He has all the bells and whistles for "underrated" but he's just not that good

Adam Saad is a Coburg boy along with Hartley, Ryan and Fox how dare you eth-dog (Hyphen is a winner).

I want a selfie with Matt Guelfi, what can I say.
Yeah, and?

You want a selfie with vanilla ice?

From us, Big Boy is a top 5 ruckman in the comp but doesn't really get the plaudits for it. Can play as a permanent defender and is an elite set shot for goal and contested marking machine. Also lands some top 5 finishes in Hawthorn pre-season time trails. He can literally do it all.

Liam Shiels is a 200 game, 3 time premiership player who is in the top 5 for most tackles laid in the past decade. He can play a run-with role and generally not be beaten and when released to play his own game regularly records 25 disposals plus. I felt he should have been named captain when Ben Stratton was.

Blake Hardwick is an elite kick and is rarely beaten one on one in defence, despite being drafted as a forward who I believe may have even won the goal kicking in his TAC cup year (may need confirmation of that).

Luke Breust is probably still a bit underrated, but I firmly believe once he retires people will realise just how good he was and his name won't be forgotten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide: Tom Lynch. The lynch pin between defence and attack for the Crows. His running is supreme and has great skills.
Brisbane: Jarryd Lyons. Chronically underrated his entire career. Clearance monster.
Carlton: Matthew Kreuzer. A tremendous ruckman plagued by injuries.
Collingwood: Tom Langdon. Just watch him in the 2018 GF.
Essendon: Kyle Langford. Just kidding, he's s**t.
Fremantle: Luke Ryan. Should be spoken about as much as Tom Stewart or Dane Rampe but plays for Fremantle.
Geelong: Brendan Parfitt. Inside-outside mid that can do pretty much anything. Been a big fan since he was drafted.
Gold Coast: Jarrod Harbrow. One of the best half-backs in the competition and has been for years. Leads GC's all time games played record.
GWS: Jye Caldwell. Would be best 22 for most other teams.

Hawthorn: Jon Patton: Watch out if his knee is right. Will straighten the Hawks up.
Melbourne: Jake Melksham. Their best forward.
North Melbourne: Jy Simpkin. Lacked consistency last year but if you didn't see his big games in 2019 then you don't know what's coming.
Port Adelaide: Scott Lycett. Don't know what happened to him last year but I think he'll flourish without Ryder.
Richmond: Trent Cotchin. Stats don't show the impact he's still having on the ground.
St Kilda: Josh Battle. So underrated he didn't even make the round 1 side.
Sydney: Jordan Dawson: Had to learn AFL the hard way, as a utility that gets thrown around the board. Becoming a very complete footballer.
West Coast: Lewis Jetta. Still doesn't get the respect he deserves. Best kick in the AFL for mine.
Western Bulldogs: Hayden Crozier. Has become an elite player at the Dogs.

McEvoy is a flat track bully and deserves to be in the overrated thread. Consistently gets mauled by the likes of Gawn, Grundy, Goldstein and Martin

Mauled? Simply not true. I assume you can readily point to 2 or 3 games for each of these clubs over the last few years? Im going to assume that it was just a case of you not knowing what the word means, or forgetting youre not in The Bay where hyperbole is required at all times.

The way Big Footy constantly claims he is overrated, I would say Tom Mitchell is probably underrated.

But really my choice would be Liam Shiels. Has been a key part of our midfield for 6 or 8 years now and has always been overshadowed by others Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Mitchell).

Thread already exists 56 posts from earlier this month and was started before the overrated convo guess people preferred to focus on overrated tho

Thread already exists 56 posts from earlier this month and was started before the overrated convo guess people preferred to focus on overrated tho

While this is true it did say "externally" which makes a world of difference as well as the proviso of "At your club" so
under the strict legal definitions available, this could be considered a separate thread.

Mauled? Simply not true. I assume you can readily point to 2 or 3 games for each of these clubs over the last few years? Im going to assume that it was just a case of you not knowing what the word means, or forgetting youre not in The Bay where hyperbole is required at all times.

The way Big Footy constantly claims he is overrated, I would say Tom Mitchell is probably underrated.

But really my choice would be Liam Shiels. Has been a key part of our midfield for 6 or 8 years now and has always been overshadowed by others Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Mitchell).
I haven't posted in the bay in well over 3 years mate. When I watch McEvoy play against the likes of English, Stanley and Sinclair he takes them to town but when he plays the top tier he struggles, badly. You're right, mauled was OTT but he rarely breaks even with them and I think I've seen him beat the four of them once in the past 4 or 5 years combined. He's a middle of the range ruck that's no better than someone like Matthew Kreuzer yet gets talked up like he's a top 5 ruck in the game which is simply not true.

Essendon: Kyle Langford. Just kidding, he's s**t.

This is a bit stupid to reply to but I am anyway. When I read this originally I read it as "Kyle Langford. Just his kicking's s**t" and immediately thought the same could apply to Jason Castagna. Now I read it properly I think most people would say your description of Langford also apples to Castagna but I still reckon he is a quality player who just struggles to kick at goal.

Would be interesting to see an xG rating on him like they have in soccer (expected goals for those who don't know).

This is a bit stupid to reply to but I am anyway. When I read this originally I read it as "Kyle Langford. Just his kicking's s**t" and immediately thought the same could apply to Jason Castagna. Now I read it properly I think most people would say your description of Langford also apples to Castagna but I still reckon he is a quality player who just struggles to kick at goal.

Would be interesting to see an xG rating on him like they have in soccer (expected goals for those who don't know).
He's kicked 43.26 in his career (63%) and 15.3 last year (83%) compared to Castagna's 84.72 which is 54%, who apart from his first year (2 goals in 5 games) hasn't recorded 60% accuracy in a year.

Langford's a good kick of the ball, his main issues are his lack of presence for someone his size and the fact he doesn't really accumulate a lot of the ball.

He's kicked 43.26 in his career (63%) and 15.3 last year (83%) compared to Castagna's 84.72 which is 54%, who apart from his first year (2 goals in 5 games) hasn't recorded 60% accuracy in a year.

Langford's a good kick of the ball, his main issues are his lack of presence for someone his size and the fact he doesn't really accumulate a lot of the ball.

I didn't say Langford was s s**t kick, I just mis-read the post I quoted as I stated. I have no idea how good Langford is as I haven't watched him enough to make comment, although from what you are saying he may well be an excellent kick at goal. I also agree Castagna is a s**t kick at goal. His 54% doesn't take into account his OOTF efforts either.

I didn't say Langford was s s**t kick, I just mis-read the post I quoted as I stated. I have no idea how good Langford is as I haven't watched him enough to make comment, although from what you are saying he may well be an excellent kick at goal. I also agree Castagna is a s**t kick at goal. His 54% doesn't take into account his OOTF efforts either.
Ah, my apologies. I don't particularly think Castagna is any better than someone like Sam Gray, but he isn't the worst player in the world by a long shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back