The mother-son rule in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Genetically speaking. Erin’s kids don’t have any of Erin’s DNA, so yes Erin has Elite sporting genes but her kids don’t have those genes.

It’s opens up a complete new can of worms too.

Has there ever been a Father - Son draft pick up when the father isn’t the genetic dad
The water gets even more muddied if Erin decides to bear a child herself after retirement. I can't imagine the AFL are going to say her first three children are ineligible for the mother-son/mother-daughter rule but the fourth child is eligible because that particular child is Erin's biological offspring. I'm certain the AFL would rule all four children are eligible to be drafted with the mother-son/mother-daughter rule.

People in this thread are getting caught up with the potential complications of an adopted child's eligibility but the truth is that it's very likely we've already seen an adopted child drafted with the father-son/father-daughter rule. It's really just a question of whether it's public knowledge that the child was adopted.

Are you afraid that the answer you want to type on here may put you in a bad light?
The answer is no. I couldn't care less if the number 1 pick could be tied to Melbourne because a former softballer played 15 unremarkable games for the Melbourne girls side.

Now stop asking stupid questions

Father/son and mother/daughter and genetically related children only.

The whole point of father/son is that the son plays for the same team as his dad. There is no world where an AFLW player would have played on the same team as an AFL player because despite sharing the same name, they are different teams.

You wouldn't count Fremantle winning an AFLW premiership as Fremantle winning an AFL premiership would you?

Last edited:

The whole point of father/son is that the son plays for the same team as his dad. There is no world where an AFLW player would have played on the same team as an AFL player despite sharing the same name, they are different teams.

You wouldn't count a Fremantle winning an AFLW premiership as Fremantle winning an AFL premiership would you?
Completely agree, for instant Peter Riccardi played a few seasons with Gary Ablett Snr and then finished his career playing with Jnr. That's never gonna happen with the Mother/son rule

The whole point of father/son is that the son plays for the same team as his dad. There is no world where an AFLW player would have played on the same team as an AFL player because despite sharing the same name, they are different teams.
The father-son rule was invented before women's footy was being played professional so obviously the original intention only considered male implications. These days we have both genders playing professionally and we've already seen the father-daughter rule in play so your point is basically already dead in the water.

For instant Peter Riccardi played a few seasons with Gary Ablett Snr and then finished his career playing with Jnr. That's never gonna happen with the Mother/son rule
Just to add to this. Ken Fletcher played with Tim Watson. Tim Watson played with Ken Fletcher and Dustin Fletcher. Dustin Fletcher played with Tim Watson and Jobe Watson. Mason Fletcher... is pursuing an NFL punting career lol.

The father-son rule was invented before women's footy was being played professional so obviously the original intention only considered male implications. These days we have both genders playing professionally and we've already seen the father-daughter rule in play so your point is basically already dead in the water.
The father/daughter thing exists because it was used a selling point to gain supporters when the league started.

Happy to do away with it.

I don’t want to start a s**t fight but.

Genetically speaking. Erin’s kids don’t have any of Erin’s DNA, so yes Erin has Elite sporting genes but her kids don’t have those genes.

It’s opens up a complete new can of worms too.

Has there ever been a Father - Son draft pick up when the father isn’t the genetic dad
Possibly, but we wouldn’t know

The father/daughter thing exists because it was used a selling point to gain supporters when the league started.

Happy to do away with it.
That's not going to happen. The AFL will retain the father-daughter rule as there is no logical reason to remove it other than only 14 clubs competing in the AFLW at the moment and that will likely be addressed in the near future.

SMH at the outdated and gendered language ITT.

What about the same sex couple adopted intersex rule??? What about gender neutral guardian rule??? Catch up to society, yo.

Erin Phillips is a mother of 3, but not a mother in the biological sense. Can her children play AFL/AFLW for the Crows? Surely the woke AFL won't deny her that parental right. What if the father came forward and was a former great?

What about adopted children? Peter Bell was adopted from South Korea and played 100 games for North and Freo. If he himself chooses to adopt a child should the kid be eligible to play for those clubs?

And what if Daisy Pearce decides that she's not Daisy any more and is Davo instead. He is no longer anyone's mother but his twins already have a dad so do they come under the father(s) son umbrella?

Much to consider.

interesting point. If Peter Bell or any other 100 plus game player adopted a 16 yo super talented kid do they come under father son?

Should get rid of the father-son rule.
Disagree. In fact I reckon change it back to how it was where the club gets a free swing at any eligible FS. Worst case get rid of the complicated process that exists now and just make it a club has to use their very next pick after a bid from another team. Keep the points process purely for academy selections if you must.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugh, women should stay out of our sports and stick to making after game sandwiches, AM I RIGHT LADS?

(HEAVILY IMPLIED SARCASM)

If they ever do something it probably should be Mother-Daughter rule, Father-Son rule and a capacity for cross over in some way when we eventually get to that stage.

The answer is no. I couldn't care less if the number 1 pick could be tied to Melbourne because a former softballer played 15 unremarkable games for the Melbourne girls side.

Now stop asking stupid questions
It is not a stupid question. If you feel that way that is fine. I would suggest that you are in the minority.

The minority are people who give a stuff about AFLW. It's a poor standard competition
You assume that I watch AFLW. Whilst I disagree with you on a lot of things, I agree that it is a poor standard competition. Despite that, I can differentiate that despite what I think of the competition, that there is merit in potentially having a mother-daughter or mother-son rule. It would appear that you cannot.

As for your reasoning that players shouldn't be eligible because there mother played a handful of AFLW games and nobody has heard of them, how many people had genuinely heard of Jonathan Brown's father before Jonathan was selected under the father-son rule. I would still have to google him now to find out who he was, and many others potentially would to. Do you reckon Lion's supporters care about that.

You assume that I watch AFLW. Whilst I disagree with you on a lot of things, I agree that it is a poor standard competition. Despite that, I can differentiate that despite what I think of the competition, that there is merit in potentially having a mother-daughter or mother-son rule. It would appear that you cannot.

As for your reasoning that players shouldn't be eligible because there mother played a handful of AFLW games and nobody has heard of them, how many people had genuinely heard of Jonathan Brown's father before Jonathan was selected under the father-son rule. I would still have to google him now to find out who he was, and many others potentially would to. Do you reckon Lion's supporters care about that.
Mother son rule is an absolute joke.

I love the father son rule for the history, sentiment and romance, but this just seems like one of those suggestions no one wants or cares about but think they should for the sake of it. There is no club sentiment tied to any AFLW players yet. The league's most experienced player wouldn't have played more than 30 games for the club. The league is nothing yet and this proposed rule probably has a lot more merit 20-30 years from now. Right now the suggestion is a laugh.

I love the father son rule for the history, sentiment and romance, but this just seems like one of those suggestions no one wants or cares about but think they should for the sake of it. There is no club sentiment tied to any AFLW players yet. The league's most experienced player wouldn't have played more than 30 games for the club. The league is nothing yet and this proposed rule probably has a lot more merit 20-30 years from now. Right now the suggestion is a laugh.

It's only been running a couple of years and I think the most games anyone can play this season is 8 + 2 finals. Gonna be tough to get to 100 on that basis, especially for the better players who are already 30.

The AFL opened this can of worms with their co-branding of clubs and introduction of the father-daughter rule. If Andrew McKay's daughter can play for Carlton's AFLW side, why can't Tayla Harris' son for the Blues in the AFL if she plays 50 or 100 or however many games? Andrew McKay retired 15 years before the AFLW even existed. The AFL have deliberately marketed it so that all players (in this example) are seen as part of Carlton Football Club rather than Carlton Blues FC and Carlton Blues Women FC. I don't love the piggybacking personally but what's done is done.

Of course right now the suggestion is a laugh because the oldest AFLW player is probably about 35 and has played 2 or 3 seasons. Maybe there's an AFLW player running around with a 10 year old kid at home I don't know, but it's unlikely we'll see anyone up for M-D, M-S or M-other selection any time soon.

I am with you, I love the father-son rule as well for the same reasons. Would agree with you though there is no great sentiment at this stage for AFLW players, my stance would be for it to be looked at in 10-20 years. By then it may have some merit. Certainly shouldn't a serious suggestion for the time being.

The water gets even more muddied if Erin decides to bear a child herself after retirement. I can't imagine the AFL are going to say her first three children are ineligible for the mother-son/mother-daughter rule but the fourth child is eligible because that particular child is Erin's biological offspring. I'm certain the AFL would rule all four children are eligible to be drafted with the mother-son/mother-daughter rule.

People in this thread are getting caught up with the potential complications of an adopted child's eligibility but the truth is that it's very likely we've already seen an adopted child drafted with the father-son/father-daughter rule. It's really just a question of whether it's public knowledge that the child was adopted.

Muddy it more.

Erin and wife divorce. Ex wife as the biological parent gets sole custody.

Where now ?

Certainly shouldn't a serious suggestion for the time being.

It can't be. Unless you plan on lowering the draft age significantly.

'Pick 23, Adelaide match a bid for Blake Phillips'
'Was always going to happen, they'll be happy they didn't need to use their first round pick. Phillips looks like a real prospect. Was an under age selection in the Under 5 AA side, Crows will see him as a real project player. Probably won't see senior footy straight away but look out for big things in 2035'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back