Autopsy The mounting injury toll and its effect on season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

And its not just the injury when it happened. Its now Blitz and 2E have still to deal with the gashings.

And it will effect their games.

But that's of no concern to the AFL who say everything's fine.

Imagine if Cyril, or Jeremy Cameron of Tom Lynch got cut up.

The AFL would melt.

GO Catters

Interesting hearing nds talk about Ablett.
Said it's completely ridiculous to hear any talk of him being done. Said these people obviously haven't watched the first 3 games.

Has 5 years in him. Last two up forward.

I said when we got him back that my concern over him is wanting to stick to natural remedies.
If he's still doing that he won't last two years.

Interesting hearing nds talk about Ablett.
Said it's completely ridiculous to hear any talk of him being done. Said these people obviously haven't watched the first 3 games.

Has 5 years in him. Last two up forward.

I said when we got him back that my concern over him is wanting to stick to natural remedies.
If he's still doing that he won't last two years.

Yes I heard that... i really doubt it. He obviously doesn't like playing forward.. if he plays a couple of years and we win flag I feel he would pull the pin.

It doesn’t matter what Gary wants to do he needs to do what’s best for the team. I like that Geelong treats it’s players like adults and gives them a voice. But right now Scott needs to lead and tell the players what will and won’t be happening.
He consistently says in the media he doesn’t know how long a player will be out for when injured or what the injury is. That’s either a lie or not good enough. It doesn’t worry me if we lose games that’s life. But I want to club to be honest with its fans and trying their best to execute their plans.
Krock have been great this season with updates and media content. Should we give some of our membership money to them who are doing the clubs job?
I know coaches like to say things are a lot more complicated than fans/media know. But I don’t buy that when it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it’s a duck.

And its not just the injury when it happened. Its now Blitz and 2E have still to deal with the gashings.

And it will effect their games.

But that's of no concern to the AFL who say everything's fine.

Imagine if Cyril, or Jeremy Cameron of Tom Lynch got cut up.

I reckon Cyril has been cut up three weeks in a row.

All they needed to do was put an opponent on him.

Mail today at the clinic was they pulled up very sore from Easter Monday.
Might explain our lack of run and slow ball movement in the first half.

This has been going on for years.

And playing 34 year old Ablett 100% in the guts 3 weeks running after bugger all preseason. Gee, I wonder what happens next?

Scott said Ablett was contracted to play 23 games :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that it seems that we don't have options but then the question is why. Yes injuries but there are players in the 2s that are available. GHS for one. And Cockatoo is now a failed experiment, Gary must be managed-although given the coaching squad I doubt that they have the skills to do that- and midfielders must be found.
Selwood is struggling and Dangerfield is not a winner at the moment.

The question certainly IS 'Why?'

All Summer we heard about players having their 'best preseason EVER' :rolleyes: It rings massive alarm bells for me, every year!

So I'm not familiar with other teams' injuries - are they too plagued by injury?

I'm not so concerned about Gaz, who is very in tune with his body + is known not to play until he is 100% - however, it seems to cause issues for some.

Cockatoo just seems too fragile + it was a mistake to play him in the Seniors. He's had hamstring issues, calf 'niggles' + now a PCL. Good old GFC has posted on their website that Cockatoo is ready to bounce back from this injury + said he is resilient. He also said something like 'That's footy', is it? Is it really? There is a failure of plain common sense with his injuries! Now Dr Kitty suggests extended rehab, not playing him even if the medical team + Cockatoo believe he is recovered. He needs to get into the pool + get lots of kilometres into his body. As stated previously I was shocked when I asked him about swimming being part of his rehab + he laughed, replying "I don't do swimming". Swimming is the best exercise for soft tissue injuries. As part of his rehab, Pilates + Yoga to increase core strength. Having well developed core strength is an excellent way to prevent lower body injuries. Cockatoo's return must be through the VFL, until he's played enough games to prove his body has totally recovered. Playing him straight into the Seniors has failed how many times now? Many here have suggested he play VFL until it's proved he had recovered + it's the smartest idea yet.

Agree ATSAM that Selwood + Danger have some type of fitness issues. How Selwood is dealt with is a tough one because he's a Trojan. Dangerfield had back issues + surfing will exacerbate that, so off to Pilates + Yoga, with Cockatoo, to increase core strength.

Some here commented that Duncan didn't look right in Rd1, so why did he play?

Cuthrie's ankle injury was excruciating to watch! Cuthrie had surgery last night, Liberatore had the same surgery + was playing after 41 days, while Marc Murphy decided not to have surgery + was out for 4.5 months. Geelong is hoping that Cuthrie will be running on the Alter G (anti-gravity) treadmill within three weeks. AFL website stated that Cuthrie will be out for eight weeks. I've always thought these recovery times are too short.

To be fair, it felt like we got a lot less of these puff pieces this year.
Really? I think the opposite lol

Ablett as fit as at his best
Ablett started training earlier than required, + has been one of the standout performers
Selwood: Ablett is actually running better than he was when he left the footy club

Murdoch best preseason in four years

Cats impressed with the development of third-year tall Ryan Gardner

Players are renowned for pushing themselves to the limit during summer

Ryan Abbott has had a decent pre-season, capped off by a strong showing in the VFL practice match

Zac Smith had an uninterrupted pre-season + looks set to carry on from where he left off in 2017 as the Cats' undeniable No.1 big man

However, you might be right though sauron, I think I paid more attention this Summer than other ones.

Ablett started training earlier than required, + has been one of the standout performers
Selwood: Ablett is actually running better than he was when he left the footy club

Ryan Abbott has had a decent pre-season, capped off by a strong showing in the VFL practice match

Zac Smith had an uninterrupted pre-season + looks set to carry on from where he left off in 2017 as the Cats' undeniable No.1 big man

However, you might be right though sauron, I think I paid more attention this Summer than other ones.
So Murdoch had the best pre-season for four years and plays one game and Smith had an uninterrupted pre-season and get dropped after one game. I am not sure whose words they are but it sounds like the CS nonsense - if they play well in the VFL then they get a game. Except they don't.

Funny that we got ones about Gardner, Abbott and Smith.

So Murdoch had the best pre-season for four years and plays one game and Smith had an uninterrupted pre-season and get dropped after one game. I am not sure whose words they are but it sounds like the CS nonsense - if they play well in the VFL then they get a game. Except they don't.
Yes, Murdoch had 90% preseason this Summer + past three only completed 60% - from an interview with Murdoch.

Smith, IIRC was from AFL website summary of this Summer.

Yes I heard that... i really doubt it. He obviously doesn't like playing forward.. if he plays a couple of years and we win flag I feel he would pull the pin.
I remember an interview with him going into season 4 or so at the Suns (prior to his injury issues). He was talking about the strong midfield youth coming through at the Suns and how he would do what's best for the team, and if that's playing forward to allow those other players more time in the midfield then that's what he would do.

Not sure I ever saw it eventuate for even half a game.

Ablett is great to watch - but he knows how to spin things for the media when required.

Last edited:

The Smith bit is interesting as I am sure Scott said that Stanley and Smith were neck and neck, and hence why Smith got dropped after one match. Even stranger that Abbott gets a mention and hasn't had a look in along with Gardner.

The Smith bit is interesting as I am sure Scott said that Stanley and Smith were neck and neck, and hence why Smith got dropped after one match. Even stranger that Abbott gets a mention and hasn't had a look in along with Gardner.
Correct. He said the MC didn't see much difference between Smith and Stanley as #1 ruck.

But....does C Scott agree with the MC?

The midfield will be fine without Gaz - Dangerfield, Duncan, Selwood x2, Menegola were good enough to get us to 2nd after H&A last year and all will play this week.

Agree with your point about managing his minutes though and hope this is taken on board by the club when he returns.
Now we have the efforts of Kelly + Parfitt, who've already impacted + contributed. Cunico was great. + yeah, it was against StK, but, with more games, more experience, they'll continue to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back