Autopsy The mounting injury toll and its effect on season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor preparation. The Cats are way behind in the fitness race and look tired already!

I hope this is a joke. We’ve been running out games extremely well. In round one it was our spread that killed the Dees. Against the Eagles we chased down a six goal deficit only to be done by injuries. And against the Saints we put together a genuine four quarter performance.

I have to say I'm a bit bemused by some of the negativity regarding our season after just 3 rounds.

We are 1-2, with losses from two matches (Hawks at the G and Eagles in the west) that would never have been penned in as wins regardless of our injuries. We haven't been smashed, we've had a lot of best 22 players missing and a lot of inexperienced kids playing. We've actually done OK.

If we were 0-6 having lost to Brisbane, Carlton, GC, Freo, North and the Bulldogs, all in Geelong, then yes I think the doom and gloom would be justified.

But at the end of this weekend I'm pretty sure we'll be 2-2, with two of our tough matches out of the way. Over the next few weeks we'll get a few of those best 22 players back. It's way too early to be calling the season over, saying we might as well just play the kids and generally just giving up.

Hallelujah!

The doom + gloom here makes me wonder what posters would have done if BF was around in the 80s + 90s? Some would be suicidal!

Great post! Refreshing to read a voice of reason.

And its not just the injury when it happened. Its now Blitz and 2E have still to deal with the gashings.

And it will effect their games.

But that's of no concern to the AFL who say everything's fine.

Imagine if Cyril, or Jeremy Cameron of Tom Lynch got cut up.

The AFL would melt.

GO Catters
Or even worse, Dusty!

The forwards often do more running and sprinting than the mids in the modern game. They are not starting at half forward and waiting for the ball to come to them.

The only way to manage Ablett's workload would be through the bench.

Tactically I can see a role for him up forward, but it won't be to give him a rest necessarily. Forwards have to work hard, especially with Menzel being our 1 player who is solely focused on attack, and he is much more dangerous than Ablett forward.

I think Ablett will play mid most of the year but may have to bring his game time down.

The mounting injury toll is having a positive affect. It reminds of times in the past where we had a bad run ..and it allowed the blooding of players.. mid 80's I think was like that then it setup 89-95.

Games to Henry and ZGuthrie and "Friendly Foegity" ..will all repay us in the years to come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mounting injury toll is having a positive affect. It reminds of times in the past where we had a bad run ..and it allowed the blooding of players.. mid 80's I think was like that then it setup 89-95.

Games to Henry and ZGuthrie and "Friendly Foegity" ..will all repay us in the years to come

Most, myself included, would have and probably did post in this thread saying enough already or something to that effect.

But I dont even think I could have upsided this half full enough to get these kind of results. Way better than anyone could have been expected - but damn the upside surprise has been awesome.

Go Catters

Excellent post.

I’ve also been super impressed with the resilience of the team.

We’ve conceded 4-5 goal leads to Hawthorn and West Coast but fought back to be in winning positions in both games, and with just a bit of luck would have pinched one or both games.

Stood firm in front of an extremely hostile crowd when Port threw everything at us in the last quarter.

What incredible experiences for Fogarty, Kelly, Cunico, Ratugolea, Henry to be part of.

I think Fogarty and Ratugolea have cemeted position in the best 22. Cunico is fast getting there too, he looks class using the ball. I think Zuthrie and Henry are projects that will benefit from game time but are still physically 12 months away for being AFL ready. But the biggest beneficiary from the injuries might be Kolodjashnij. He's look great as our no.1 KPD.

But the biggest beneficiary from the injuries might be Kolodjashnij. He's looked great as our no.1 KPD.

Have to agree with this. Has been fantastic.

And I loved how filthy he was the one and only time Dixon outmarked him last night. Showed the hunger and intensity that I've wondered about with him sometimes.

And that mark stretching back in the third was a big moment. Breakaway goal there (which would have been on the cards if the ball hit the ground) could have really got the Power up and about.

'In every crisis there is opportunity' must be the mantra he has inscribed on his bathroom mirror right now.

Yet another Wells win.

And I loved how filthy he was the one and only time Dixon outmarked him last night. Showed the hunger and intensity that I've wondered about with him sometimes.

And that mark stretching back in the third was a big moment. Breakaway goal there (which would have been on the cards if the ball hit the ground) could have really got the Power up and about.

'In every crisis there is opportunity' must be the mantra he has inscribed on his bathroom mirror right now.

Yet another Wells win.

It was very Matty Egan esk that mark

It was very Matty Egan esk that mark

Like the Egan reference.:thumbsu:

But it also makes me a little sad.:(

It is really interesting how this change has affected him, though.

Some players seem to freeze as their role in the team is amped up.

Kolo seems to have done just the opposite. It's like he's been waiting for the opportunity to take on the KPD role and can finally now grow into the responsibility he's actually been craving.

His continuity of senior games in recent seasons has undoubtedly assisted him in finding his feet at the level. And he's learning from some of the very best of recent times across the AFL in the group working with him on and off the field.

But I couldn't be happier with how he's going right now.

Scooters KO keeps our streak alive of losing a player for the night before half time in every game this year.
i don't really like, but it's a remarkable truth

Last edited:

Yet another Wells win.
The Kolo bashing when he was played in a series of roles that didn't suit him was a sight to behold. We like to ho hard after our pre-50 gamers on here for some reason.

Credit to the MC (in general) for boldly going with youth. Whilst still disagree with some specific game selections (absence of a ruck v West Coast could have been disasterous if an inexperienced Sava had been injured, too many skinnies in the first round and not playing another KPD) overall a very refreshing change from the ‘static’ selection approach of recent years. Should accelerate the development and enthusiasm of the next layer of talent.

The selections of Sava and Henry have been particularly commendable - could have easily categorised both as ‘needing another year’.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back