Movie Draft The Movie Draft 2: Draft Harder (Murtaugh Division)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really into Top Gun in the 80's (pre-teen) but watched it a couple of years ago and it's a really weird ass slapping dudes flexing their muscles homoerotic movie. Still has some great scenes but not a great movie at all!!!

He has acted in better and been in better films.

Same with Rain Man - really good movie and Dustin Hoffman nails it but I wouldn't be in a hurry to watch again.

I guess this is why I came last in the previous draft????

Also going to be fun watching jod23 and Roobs321 argue and flirt!!!!!! ;)
So glad they ended up in the same division. NOT RIGGED!

Totally looks like fun. Sorry I missed the boat.
It's only the most fun ever! Keep following along though, there might be more expansion in the future.

Just wondering people, are you picking what you think everyone will rate? or picking your favourite Tom Cruise movie??
Always go with your personal tastes, screw what the crowd thinks.

Sorry for the delay. Basically picking this movie as it is easily my favourite movie of his.

show-me-the-mobile-money.jpg

Jerry Maguire definitely not his best movie still available but none the less I like it more then the rest.

boneofshin you're up.

Have to be quick as I'm on the way out the door. Came down to a choice of two and I'm going to go with the only bad guy performance I can think of from Tom and one of my favourites from him-

Collateral

@Roobs321

Sorry for the delay. Basically picking this movie as it is easily my favourite movie of his.

show-me-the-mobile-money.jpg

Jerry Maguire definitely not his best movie still available but none the less I like it more then the rest.

boneofshin you're up.
Damn u!!!!!!!!!!

Easily my favourite Cruise film

Wow, we've already started :eek:

Had a quick look, and one stood out to me as a clear favourite (although lots of decent enough films in his filmography).

Eyes Wide Shut

cruise.jpg

An underrated modern classic. Not Kubrick's best, but would probably place it as my 4th favourite from him, following Barry Lyndon, 2001 & The Shining (his clear 3 best imo, the rest you could throw a blanket over).

This night odyssey is oddly gripping, and very memorable. Tom Cruise is good here (no one sucks in a Kubrick movie, he can get decent-enough performances out of hacks like Ryan O'Neal). Kind of became a gossip mag victim thing with the shortly-after divorce of the real life stars, as well as Kubrick's death at the time of the films release.

Happy that my favourite Tom Cruise film fell to 6th. He was good with his film choices at the turn of the millenium.

How on earth is DIG right behind me again?!!?!:confused:

More obvious picks than this, but it's my favourite of those left so I'll suck it up:

Tom Cruise Pick 7 - Vanilla Sky

"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it around"

Massive backlash when this movie came out, big budget meant it became a target for many, and Cruise plays his most annoying character ever - those who already didn't like him couldn't watch it. Beyond this, and if you can get past the unlikeable main character is a good, intriguing story that blew a lot of people away.

Therefore people seem to either love this movie or absolutely hate it, very polarising. I had low expectations and was really impressed. Helps that I like "mess with your brain" movies like this, Donnie Darko, Memento, etc.

The opening scene above is remarkable if you've never seen it.

grizzlym

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More obvious picks than this, but it's my favourite of those left so I'll suck it up:

Tom Cruise Pick 7 - Vanilla Sky

"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it around"

Massive backlash when this movie came out, big budget meant it became a target for many, and Cruise plays his most annoying character ever - those who already didn't like him couldn't watch it. Beyond this, and if you can get past the unlikeable main character is a good, intriguing story that blew a lot of people away.

Therefore people seem to either love this movie or absolutely hate it, very polarising. I had low expectations and was really impressed. Helps that I like "mess with your brain" movies like this, Donnie Darko, Memento, etc.

The opening scene above is remarkable if you've never seen it.

grizzlym

Vanilla Sky is okay, but the spanish original Open Your Eyes is about 10 times better, and a true classic.

Original is much better although vanilla sky has Jason Lee

Vanilla Sky is an okay remake, the acting and score in some ways is arguably better, and the film is more polished. But the original was immensely powerful, a bit spooky, and more memorable. Also, in the bar scenes, and in the park, you really felt the loneliness of the disfigured lead.

Vanilla Sky is an okay remake, the acting and score in some ways is arguably better, and the film is more polished. But the original was immensely powerful, a bit spooky, and more memorable. Also, in the bar scenes, and in the park, you really felt the loneliness of the disfigured lead.
Totally agree

Ok, first up: I despise Tom Cruise. He's an earnest, weird little control freak and while he's very carefully managed his career and hauled in a heap of cash, he leaves me completely cold as an actor. So, honestly, I'm battling my innate prejudices here, but here goes.

I'm plumping for Magnolia. It's an interesting film, and I while it has an ensemble cast, almost like a Robert Altman movie, Tom Cruise is undoubtedly the star/has the star billing according to IMDB. Sure he picked up a best actor nomination, but that's more the structure of the movie in my opinion. What I liked about it, or his performance I should say, is it's almost like I imagine Tom to be off screen: charismatic, control-freak, way-out and totally consumed with himself. All that aside, it's an interesting movie, by far the most adventurous film that Cruise has done. Dunno, I like movies like this, Short Cuts is one of my favourite films. And when an actor, especially one as carefully controlled and controlling as Tom Cruise puts himself out of his comfort zone, I gotta respect that.

jlind78

I'm going to go a real darkhorse and this will either be a masterstroke or a dud. I vote masterstroke.
THE OUTSIDERS.
I love this movie it still stands up today and it has a huge cast of who is hot back in the day. Lots to love about this and one of the biggest pluses is this is Tom Cruise before he got that s**t eating grin.

Thus at #9 is a great selection if I don't say so my self.

Finish this fool off Dirtywhirl

Wow, we've already started :eek:

Had a quick look, and one stood out to me as a clear favourite (although lots of decent enough films in his filmography).

Eyes Wide Shut

cruise.jpg

An underrated modern classic. Not Kubrick's best, but would probably place it as my 4th favourite from him, following Barry Lyndon, 2001 & The Shining (his clear 3 best imo, the rest you could throw a blanket over).

This night odyssey is oddly gripping, and very memorable. Tom Cruise is good here (no one sucks in a Kubrick movie, he can get decent-enough performances out of hacks like Ryan O'Neal). Kind of became a gossip mag victim thing with the shortly-after divorce of the real life stars, as well as Kubrick's death at the time of the films release.

Happy that my favourite Tom Cruise film fell to 6th. He was good with his film choices at the turn of the millenium.

How on earth is DIG right behind me again?!!?!:confused:

I dunno, I love Kubrick, a true genius, but found myself laughing out loud during this film. Maybe it was the thought of Tom and Nicole having sex, both in the film and real life, that did it for me.

The Outsiders is rather good, although I dont love it, and the similar Rumble Fish is more memorable imo.

But it is a cool young cast. I read Rob Lowe's autobiography a year ago and he spent a lot of time on this film (it was his first major role I think). Even back then Tom Cruise was a control freak career manager, more mature about his career than some other young cast members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back