Movies & TV The Movie Guide

Remove this Banner Ad

Life of Pi was pretty good. A bit slow, but it brought the book to life fairly well. The challenge was always keeping the story moving when so much of it took place in the middle of the ocean, there are only so many ways in which one can avoid being eaten alive by a Bengal tiger so some suspension of disbelief is required. I really enjoyed the shots of India at the start. I don't know if it would make you believe in God, but I liked that Pi kept his distance from the tiger throughout his time on the boat, if you take the view that God represents everything that is more powerful than us, you could say fear of Mother Nature roughly equates to fear of God in the movie. Humans might be able to shape our environment in ways that no other species can, but there are still some things even we can't control. (This has been a rather HSC English-y post!)

I'm an atheist and I loved the film.

Hey guys, I'm putting together a list of BigFooty's top 100 movies in the Movie and Entertainment forum and I'm looking for a couple more of people's top 10 lists to help flesh out the countdown. If you're able to put together a list and post it at the thread on the M&E board by Sunday, it would be much appreciated.

Watched Jack Reacher yesterday, fairly typical conspiracy movie. I wouldn't pay money to see it at the movies
Saw it at the movies but didn't pay ... thank god.

Watched Kill Bill 1 & 2 over the last couple of days. First one was very good. Got a bit bored in the second one. First one really benefited from some of the support actors - particularly Lucy Liu. Second one didn't so much IMO. 8 & 7 out of 10.

Also watched a movie called The Dead. Zombie movie set in West Africa. I'll watch anything with zombies in it even though most are ordinary. This one, however, was OK. Even though it was clearly low budget it was quite well filmed and portrayed the whole desolation and loneliness thing much like the earlier Romero films - although in a very different setting.

I quite liked it but it's only really a 5/10 movie because, unfortunately, the lead actor was terrible.

Zombieland was good, Woodie is always loveable, even as a psycho killer
Pilot episode of a Zombieland tv series has been made for Amazon. Should be available soon but didn't look great in the trailer IMO.

Watched a Danish film called Kapringen (A Hijacking in English). A ship on the way to Mumbai gets hijacked by Somalian pirates. This was an excellent film. None of the gloss of Hollywood and very slow pacing in some parts but I found it completely absorbing. Basically it was a character study of two people - the cook on the ship and the CEO of the company that owned it. The actor playing the CEO (Soren Malling) put in easily the best performance I have seen for a long time. Going from being a confident businessman to being completely out of his depth negotiating with the pirates and fuelled by his "need" to get his crew home safely. Without words his face was constantly able to express stress, anguish, hope, anger, etc. Great performance.

9/10

Zombieland was good, Woodie is always loveable, even as a psycho killer

Speaking of Zombie films, Im not a fan of them but I watched one called 'Planet Terror',, laughed the whole way through it, loved it not very serious, very arty and cool.. old school with Tarrentino

I highly recommend That Sugar Film. It will change the way you look at food. It's scary how little we know about what we are putting into our bodies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way to end a dreary Monday in a busy week. Dropped by the movies on the way home and saw Jason Bourne. A solid movie, pretty much sticks to the Bourne formula of action, twists and Matt Damon being awesome.

Really liked him in The Martian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back