Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
While the new Thor trailer may have broken the internets, I'm more excited about the new Luc Besson movie Valerian.
Bresson actually gets sci-fi, his visual world building is superb and utterly immerses the audience in the possibilities of Future. That operatic scene in the underrated classic The Fifth Element is a prime example.
Maybe one day if I'm very, very lucky he'll tackle Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. Sigh.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
While the new Thor trailer may have broken the internets, I'm more excited about the new Luc Besson movie Valerian.
Bresson actually gets sci-fi, his visual world building is superb and utterly immerses the audience in the possibilities of Future. That operatic scene in the underrated classic The Fifth Element is a prime example.
Maybe one day if I'm very, very lucky he'll tackle Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. Sigh.

His scifi is so pretty. Eye-poppingly baroque visuals.

Stories...eh...who cares. It's so preeeetty.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Maybe not a film for everyone. But that was stunning cinema! Reminded me of the Thin Red line a bit - without the Godawful narration. Soundscapes, minimal dialogue and plenty of time to think. Loved the creative choice to keep the Nazi's off screen. They became almost scarier as an unseen, menacing presence.

I vote that the most intense film score since Sicario. Relentless.

Another win for practical effects, too. Bruckheimer's Pearl Harbor this was not.

Maybe not a film for everyone. But that was stunning cinema! Reminded me of the Thin Red line a bit - without the Godawful narration. Soundscapes, minimal dialogue and plenty of time to think. Loved the creative choice to keep the Nazi's off screen. They became almost scarier as an unseen, menacing presence.

I vote that the most intense film score since Sicario. Relentless.

Another win for practical effects, too. Bruckheimer's Pearl Harbor this was not.
I really liked it. Different to Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge in that there was no blood or gore. Highlighted very much the futility of it all and the absolute stupidity of the decision making.... yes, line everyone up as close together as you can you muppets. The lack of dialogue was very impactful and lets just say that Harry Stiles character was a bit of a campaigner.

Despite this. I've had people see it and hate it because it wasn't all blood and guts.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
I really liked it. Different to Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge in that there was no blood or gore. Highlighted very much the futility of it all and the absolute stupidity of the decision making.... yes, line everyone up as close together as you can you muppets. The lack of dialogue was very impactful and lets just say that Harry Stiles character was a bit of a campaigner.

Despite this. I've had people see it and hate it because it wasn't all blood and guts.

I'm sure it will divide audiences. But I just found the matter-of-factness about it all absolutely fascinating. Murder as a procedure to follow.

Some complain there are no characters. But this film was all about the machinery of war. The scream of the dive bombers, the reports of the rifles, even the sound of bullets flying through the side of that ship. Those were the characters.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I'm sure it will divide audiences. But I just found the matter-of-factness about it all absolutely fascinating. Murder as a procedure to follow.

Some complain there are no characters. But this film was all about the machinery of war. The scream of the dive bombers, the reports of the rifles, even the sound of bullets flying through the side of that ship. Those were the characters.
Excellent point. The main character is the machinery of war.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Didn't mind The Last Jedi. Not perfect. But did a lot of things well.

I'd certainly regard myself as an old school fan - one who has slowly revovered from Prequel trauma.

Takes a lot to beat the disappointment from those films. The Last Jedi was a walk in the park.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC

I'd certainly regard myself as an old school fan - one who has slowly revovered from Prequel trauma.

Takes a lot to beat the disappointment from those films. The Last Jedi was a walk in the park.

Old school here too and it is watchable, better than the prequels.

There is just something.... not quite right with The Last Jedi. Probably watch it again to see what it is

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Old school here too and it is watchable, better than the prequels.

There is just something.... not quite right with The Last Jedi. Probably watch it again to see what it is

And by 'old school' you mean old enough to see Star Wars at the movies when it first came out, right?:)

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
This has nothing to do with Star Wars except for the fact I need to to use all of the force to figure out who this new poster is... Ticky009 would love th..... oh, wait a second.... that IS the Tickster (just in festive mode).
Tra la la la:)
And I still managed to maintain the red&white

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Not SW. But I saw Empire. Must have been 5. Can't remember anything other tban the walkers. :p
Heh.
Fair few don’t get when that star destroyer slowly fills up the screen how much of a shock it was. When you’re used to ‘ships’ that look like card board and polystyrene SW was an utter revelation.

Back