The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I'm back from the Hateful Eight. I will say I am just satisfied. It's not Tarantino's best work. It was ok, I would compare it to a Reservoir Dogs set in the olden days.

In regards to the 70mm lense, it was a novelty at first, the screen was noticably slighter wider but longer more than anything. As time wore on you realise it's just a novelty or gimmick as there is basically nothing to make you think they did anything different because of the wide angle camera. You will understand when you see it.

Still, I'm glad to be able to say I've watched a film in the old Astor theatre. Overall I would give this movie a 3.5/5.

Anyone else think it's criminal that we're talking about the best actors in the business and nobody has yet mentioned Nicholas Cage.

Anyone else think it's criminal that we're talking about the best actors in the business and nobody has yet mentioned Nicholas Cage.

Nah he does crap movies. The only one of his I liked is Con Air. And Kick Ass but he was not the main man. I'm not a fan, he's pretty bland for mine. I put Christian Bale in the same boat.

Nah he does crap movies. The only one of his I liked is Con Air. And Kick Ass but he was not the main man. I'm not a fan, he's pretty bland for mine. I put Christian Bale in the same boat.
Yeah you are right that Con Air is quality, as is the Rock which is a classic imo. What's funny about Cage is that I believe he has an enormous tax bill which is why he is taking any role atm and has not appeared in a half way decent film for about 15 years/

If I were going to list my favorite three actors though it would be

1. Kevin Spacey - also wins creepiest villain ever in 7 even though he wasn't in it that long.
2. Tom Cruise - probably an unpopular view but he is easily the best leading male of the last 20 or so years imo.
3. Michael Fassbender - hasn't been around that long relative to the other two but I think he's about as good as it gets atm.
4. Also Danial Day Lewis who is probably the best but he isn't in that much.

Honorable mention to John Malkovich who is awesome.

As for actresses:
1. Kate Blanchett - nobody comes close to her imo.
2. Anne Hathaway is awesome in everything she does
3. Marisa Tomei - Not that mainstream but I just seem to love every movie that she appears in.

edit: robert de niro is probably goat though.

Last edited:

You obviously haven't seen many Christian Ball movies then. lol. No where near bland.

Neither any other time I've seen him. Granted I haven't seen them all but seems the same old sombre campaigner, added to his off-screen personality I just don't like him.

American Psycho is amazing, Totally different actor to what you think of him.
The Machinest too is great.

On the flip side, there are a couple of actors that I wouldn't pay to watch,
Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks.(Ruined the Da Vinci Code for me).

Don't have a lot of respect for these two. I don't mind Mission Impossible (recently its become America's version of '60s James Bond which is fun) and Bridge of Spies with Hanks recently was pretty good but most of his stuff is so jingoistic it's cringeworthy.

To me he's a bit Michael Caine. When on song one of the best in the business (Caine in Get Carter's a masterclass in cold, vengeful psychopathy) however their careers have seen too much dross. I adore Cage's performance in one of his early flics, "Vampire's Kiss"

Deliriously dreranged and OTT. I love it!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everybody just accepts he's the best actor in the business and everyone else is fighting for 2nd place.

You obviously have never seen Ghost Rider ;)

I haven't seen it but I saw when they lit up the Southbank footbridge for it, I happened to be in the city and it was lit up like a Christmas tree. I thought what's going on here and found out later but I've never seen the scene. The same bridge people used to 'padlock' their love until there were so many padlocks it weakened the stability of the bridge... it's still a bit wobbly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back