Current The Murdaugh Family Murders - US * Alex Murdaugh found guilty

Remove this Banner Ad

UPDATE: Alex Murdaugh has been convicted for the shooting murders of his wife and son

The Murdaugh family are a prominent American legal family in South Carolina. From 1920 to 2006, three members of the family consecutively served as District Attorney in charge of prosecuting all criminal cases in the state's 14th Circuit District leading locals to call the five-county district, "Murdaugh Country." The family also founded a nationally recognized civil litigation law firm that specializes in personal injury.

Since 2014, Richard "Alex" Murdaugh and other members of the Murdaugh family have been involved in investigations involving several murders, corruption, and other alleged crimes, including insurance fraud, defrauding clients, theft of insurance payouts, and drug-related charges. In 2019, amid allegations of special treatment, Alex's son, Paul Murdaugh, and other members of the Murdaugh family were implicated in a fatal boating accident. In June 2021, Alex Murdaugh's wife and son Paul were murdered. Alex has been charged with their murders. Alex was also accused of embezzlement from his law firm, from which he resigned in September 2021. He has been incarcerated since October 2021 pending trials and has been disbarred by the state of South Carolina.

ONGOING INVESTIGATIONS

Killing of Stephen Smith
Death of Gloria Satterfield
Death of Mallory Beach
Killings of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh
Assisted suicide insurance fraud scheme
Allegations of embezzlement from the dead
Sex worker Lindsey Edwards

CHARGES AND LAWSUITS

Beach wrongful death lawsuit
Three criminal charges murder-for-hire suicide scheme
Embezzlement and other fraud
Asset custody
Physical custody
Two criminal charges for narcotics distribution
Disbarment
Four criminal charges for the murders of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh
Forge consulting lawsuit
Nine criminal charges for tax evasion

The bodies begin dropping in the summer of 2015. Stephen Smith, 19, found dead in the middle of a road in Hampton County, South Carolina, on July 8. Smith is gay, and his mother believes her son was killed in a hate crime, a newspaper will report, “by several local Hampton County youths from prestigious families.”

In 2018 Gloria Satterfield, a long-serving housekeeper for a prominent local family, is found dead while at work from “a trip-and-fall accident.” Nothing suspicious, it is called, until the proceeds from her insurance policy go not to her two surviving sons but allegedly to her lawyer.

A year later, in February 2019, a 19-year-old rich kid, drunk at the wheel of his family’s boat, plows into a bridge at 2 a.m. At his side is the beautiful 19-year-old Mallory Beach. She is thrown from the boat and instantly killed.

A name rises from the flotsam of these mysterious yet somehow connected deaths, a name that shocks the South Carolina community where the deaths occur when it is printed in headlines around the globe, bringing the eyes of justice—and the media—to this corner of what is called the Lowcountry.

It is a name that is instantly recognized by the police when, at 10:26 p.m. on June 7, 2021, Sergeant Daniel Greene drives through the stone gates of a 1,700-acre family hunting estate at 4147 Moselle Road, in Colleton County, South Carolina, to find a 52-year-old woman and her 22-year-old son “lying on the ground,” shot dead with a rifle. It is a name oft-heard by the media—never in this context, but on the other side of the law.

The name and the public nature of these two deaths is such an unlikely combination that local law enforcement look back at the deaths of Stephen Smith and Gloria Satterfield and uncover a sinister web of cascading crimes and escalating intrigue. And in the middle of it all, somehow seemingly involved in myriad cases and maybe more to come, is that name, that very famous name, the name that stops investigators and the public dead in their tracks.

New documentary.

Last edited:
21st amendment dancing GIF by US National Archives
When you can waltz around town doing what you like. Incredible.

Ive been catching up with murder trial periodically. He took the stand as a defendent in his own murder trial evidently against his own lawyers advice.

For a guy purportedly with a photographic memory, plus he would need to remember a lot to keep up with the lies with the financial frauds, he sure does not remember a lot of information that would paint him in a bad light!

What did he do with all the money he squandered over the years? Some on drugs, yes, but surely not millions and millions?

What did he do with all the money he squandered over the years? Some on drugs, yes, but surely not millions and millions?
Thats the big question, they say he was spending $50k per month with cousin eddie on drugs, but there were whispers that drugs were a small portion of that and some of it may have been some blackmail fee in that aswell.

As best I can tell from the trial, his financial crimes must have worked like some sort of self administered pyramid scheme where he robbed from 1 client, then paid that one out by robbing 2 more clients and so on and so on.

My personal thoughts are he is guilty but im not sure prosecution has provided enough to allow the jury to convict beyond a reasonable doubt.

Will be interesting to hear the closing arguments that I believe were overnight...

Thats the big question, they say he was spending $50k per month with cousin eddie on drugs, but there were whispers that drugs were a small portion of that and some of it may have been some blackmail fee in that aswell.

As best I can tell from the trial, his financial crimes must have worked like some sort of self administered pyramid scheme where he robbed from 1 client, then paid that one out by robbing 2 more clients and so on and so on.

My personal thoughts are he is guilty but im not sure prosecution has provided enough to allow the jury to convict beyond a reasonable doubt.

Will be interesting to hear the closing arguments that I believe were overnight...
What about the housekeeper's death (murder?) and the insurance payout he kept from her family? I suppose that will be a separate trial?

What about the housekeeper's death (murder?) and the insurance payout he kept from her family? I suppose that will be a separate trial?
He has around 100 other pending felony charges for drugs, financial crimes and fraud that are hanging over him to be prosecuted at a later date. They say he will spend the rest of his live in prison even if he gets off of these murder charges.

He was charged with these Murders around July last year and his lawyers pushed for a speedy trial, hence why the murder trial has been brought to the courts before the financial crimes.

The housekeepers death was listed as natural causes and no autopsy was performed. Her body was approved to be exhumed back in June 2022 and her death investigate opened as a result of these murders.

He has around 100 other pending felony charges for drugs, financial crimes and fraud that are hanging over him to be prosecuted at a later date. They say he will spend the rest of his live in prison even if he gets off of these murder charges.

He was charged with these Murders around July last year and his lawyers pushed for a speedy trial, hence why the murder trial has been brought to the courts before the financial crimes.

The housekeepers death was listed as natural causes and no autopsy was performed. Her body was approved to be exhumed back in June 2022 and her death investigate opened as a result of these murders.
Thank you for that - do you think others will be bought down like a domino effect from all of this?

Thank you for that - do you think others will be bought down like a domino effect from all of this?
I think a bank CEO has already been convicted of financial crimes due to his involvement with Alex Murdaugh, there could be others but it seems it was largely him. I dont know about the rest

I believe there is a interested buyer for the Murdaugh property.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a big fan of court tv but this one had me glued to it, what a bizzare story full of lies, twists and turns…you couldn’t write this s**t. Set my alarm yesterday for the verdict and this morning for sentencing.
Very glad the murder victims got justice (tho that doesn’t mean s**t when they’re dead) and all the people he ripped off and destroyed got to tell their story too, what a cold hearted, evil piece of crap of a human he is. Very satisfying to see him walk out today in a brown jumpsuit.

Interesting read...

Watch the Netflix doco on it too, it goes deeper into all these other deaths associated with the family. Mallory’s death is just heartbreaking and so callous.
And Murdaugh stole the money that was supposed to go to Glorias kids. The whole story is like a fiction novel and keeps getting more twisted.

Watch the Netflix doco on it too, it goes deeper into all these other deaths associated with the family. Mallory’s death is just heartbreaking and so callous.
And Murdaugh stole the money that was supposed to go to Glorias kids. The whole story is like a fiction novel and keeps getting more twisted.
Yeah, just finished watching it on Netflix.

Another example of someone in a position of power who thought he was above the law & could get away with murder.

Killing his only family members, his long time maid, steeling money, etc... hope he gets some tough love in prison.

Yeah, just finished watching it on Netflix.

Another example of someone in a position of power who thought he was above the law & could get away with murder.

Killing his only family members, his long time maid, steeling money, etc... hope he gets some tough love in prison.
It’s been a riveting story and trial. Some of the testimony from people he destroyed breaks your heart, life long family friends…if ever there was a criminal without a soul it’s him. I’ll be following the new developments into all the other deaths, gruesome but it’s a train wreck I can’t help looking at!

It’s been a riveting story and trial. Some of the testimony from people he destroyed breaks your heart, life long family friends…if ever there was a criminal without a soul it’s him. I’ll be following the new developments into all the other deaths, gruesome but it’s a train wreck I can’t help looking at!

Trying to catch up here but I'm a bit confused by the motive he was prosecuted on, the murders of his wife and son were a distraction? Is that right? I noticed too he didn't kill anyone who looked like him, he spared the son with the red hair.

What a family, imagine living next door to them and thinking they raised the vibe of the neighbourhood.

Trying to catch up here but I'm a bit confused by the motive he was prosecuted on, the murders of his wife and son were a distraction? Is that right? I noticed too he didn't kill anyone who looked like him, he spared the son with the red hair.

What a family, imagine living next door to them and thinking they raised the vibe of the neighbourhood.
Yeah he had absolutely no motive to kill them besides convenience, everyone left him alone about the stolen money once his family was murdered because they felt so sorry for him.
The trial is all on youtube, it really pulled me in.
There were also rumours his wife was seeing a divorce lawyer and the civil suit over the boat accident added another dimension. But overall yeah it looked like he killed his wife and son to buy time from people chasing him about money.
These 2 are the first ones I watched and immediately I wanted to know more

And this guy is a rock star now lol

I mean it’s a horrendous story but if crime, psychology, human depravity etc interests you this trial is a doozy!

Last edited:
Why did he use 2 different guns?
I dont think we will ever really know.

as Kurve said, possibly framing 2 shooters.

I have heard a theory that Paul was shot first with the shotgun, even though the first shot was into his chest, it wasnt fatal, meaning a second shot had to be taken on Paul. Maggie heard the shots and went running to towards Paul and as the shotgun was out of its 2 rounds, had to use the blackout rifle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back