Current The Murder of Shandee Blackburn - McKay *New investigative podcast by Hedley Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Shandee Blackburn, 23, died after being brutally stabbed more than 20 times in a targeted and deliberate attack while walking home after a shift at Harrup Park Country Club in Mackay, Queensland in February of 2013.

She was just metres away from the house she shared with her mother Vicki when CCTV captured a mysterious figure running towards her.

Her voice box was slashed and she crawled into a nearby gutter, unable to call out for help before she later died in hospital.

Shandee's former partner John Peros was subsequently tried for her murder and acquitted in 2017 it's said due to, and headlining as the ‘Biggest forensic disaster in the country’s history’ and which allowed the killer to go free.

During a two-week inquest in July last year, Queensland Central Coroner David O'Connell said Mr Peros was most likely responsible for her death.

Handing down the findings of the inquest, Coroner O'Connell said there was 'no doubt' in his mind that Mr Peros had been the one to attack Ms Blackburn and cause her injuries.

Despite the coroner's findings Mr Peros will not be arrested or charged because he has already been acquitted of murder.

2019/20 Coronial Inquest into the case

https://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/656044/cif-blackburn-sr-20200821.pdf
'CORONERS COURT OF QUEENSLAND Reasons for Decision (including Findings & Comments) CITATION: Inquest into the death of Shandee Renee Blackburn'

'DELIVERED ON: 21st August 2020 DELIVERED AT: Mackay
HEARING DATE(s): 1 July 2019 - 16 July 2019'

New and compelling evidence would need to come to light in order for police to arrest him under double jeopardy laws, which the coroner did not find.

Over to you Hedley.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
An editorial on the Shandee Blackburn alleged QLD State forensic lab issues, in The Weekend Australian newspaper this weekend 27/28 November 2021.

1638101625814.png

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Just listened to episode 7 (Bad Science) of the podcast (paywalled-subscribers only) which will be out free to all later next month.

Makes some of the worst evidence and forensic snafus in the CSK (Claremont Murders) case look like gold standard.

How the current QLD Government responds from here will he interesting.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
This afternoon, the Australian is reporting what was inevitable.

Which raises the question of why the Coroner closed the 2019 inquest process with the release of the 2020 Coroners report, before ordering that the evidence get urgently retested at different and independent forensic lab(s), and recommend that an investigation be undertaken by independent experts on what went wrong with the evidence testing at the States forensic lab.

The Coroner already concluded that Mr Peros was most likely responsible for Shandees death.

How is reopening the inquest going to lead to anything other than the same conclusion?

Does the QLD Coroner even have powers to order or request that evidence be independently re-tested at different testing facilities?
Or powers to order an independent investigation into what went wrong with the testing first time around, and why when the testing produced the results that they did, that the evidence was not sent elsewhere for re-testing?

And if the QLD Coroner does have these powers, why were they not exercised in 2019/20?
Is the QLD Coroner currently just under-resourced/funded to have the capacity to do this?

'Inquest into Shandee Blackburn’s murder to be reopened

....Health Minister Yvette D’Ath wrote to Shannon Fentiman, the state’s Attorney-General, on Thursday morning asking for the inquest to be reopened.'

“In relation to the Shandee Blackburn case, based on the claims made regarding forensic evidence and whether such evidence could lead to new findings,” Ms D’Ath told parliament.

“I believe there is sufficient public interest and questions to be addressed to warrant me writing to the Attorney-General to consider requesting the coroner to reopen the matter.”

A spokeswoman for the Attorney-General said Ms Fentiman would now seek advice from Crown Law about opening the case again.'

'Annastacia Palaszczuk said she believed problems with the forensic unit “warranted further investigation”.'

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
I wonder how long it will take before anything meaningful comes from any inquiry (if one ever actually goes ahead)?

'Retest ‘blood’ in Shandee Blackburn murder suspect’s car, says DNA expert
Twelve areas of John Peros’s ute tested presumptively positive to blood including the steering wheel. The government's laboratory later said no DNA was detected, and police accepted it was not blood.
AN HOUR AGO DECEMBER 3, 2021
authors

'....Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Friday for the first time she would also consider a wide-ranging independent inquiry into the lab....'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just finished episode six of the podcast. My favourite episode yet. Looking forward to episode seven (Bad Science). :thumbsu:

Just finished episode 7...
After nearly 30 years post-PhD personally undertaking and supervising analytical-type analyses (more chemistry than biological), you never run precious samples until you run standards testing the sensitivity and performance of the instrument(s) to determine the lowest level of detection/quantification. Very amateur and unscientific from this Forensics Lab, who now seem to be trying to cover their asses.

There are more videos on YouTube...

• Coroner David O'Connell has reopened his inquiry into the murder of Shandee Blackburn
  • It comes after concerns were raised around forensic evidence in the case
  • Shandee's mother Vicki Blackburn hopes the move will finally lead to justice for her daughter

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
  • Coroner David O'Connell has reopened his inquiry into the murder of Shandee Blackburn
  • It comes after concerns were raised around forensic evidence in the case
  • Shandee's mother Vicki Blackburn hopes the move will finally lead to justice for her daughter

I'm up to episode 10, this is great news

Was wondering what the size of the T-shirt that was found in the bucket was?

After more revelations in Episode 15, I am appalled by the forensics quality and lack of accountability by the leaders. I would be so angry if I was part of any of these cases that could have been sabotaged.

Interesting podcast about identifying the unknown sailor from the HMAS Sydney, who died in 1941 and was buried for decades. Gives a nice summary of ancient DNA analysis for those interested.

This is how DNA analysis is done, not those amateurs at Queensland Forensics who get 50% 'no DNA detected' from penis swabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back