Shai

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
From the same list, good memories because my dog would go nuts when you sang it & rolled the r in Maurice.

James1970

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Dusted off some 'B's today, and came across the old 45 of Day After Day, completely forgetting the many hooks and melodies in it's short, perfect running time...

Needless to say, No Dice soon rocked out the afternoon...what a band Badfinger were...

James1970

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Would love some feedback on my bands new release :)
Hi Matt - not really my cuppa (I pretty much stop at 1997), but congrats on making and recording music.

Just a slight piece of feedback from an old recording engineer, which you can feel free to throw away, but it might be little bit too 'trebbly', with the drums slightly muffled. Not sure if this was done at the recording stage or down-mix, but a little separation, with a touch more bass and kick with the drums, could work well. This should open up the dynamics a bit more.

Matthew Jelley

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Hi Matt - not really my cuppa (I pretty much stop at 1997), but congrats on making and recording music.

Just a slight piece of feedback from an old recording engineer, which you can feel free to throw away, but it might be little bit too 'trebbly', with the drums slightly muffled. Not sure if this was done at the recording stage or down-mix, but a little separation, with a touch more bass and kick with the drums, could work well. This should open up the dynamics a bit more.
Thank you, really appreciate the feedback. This was my first ever self produced release so I'm keen to learn whatever i can from the experience

Shai

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Paul Kelly at the G again! So many of his songs strike a chord, I don't need to remind anyone how good he's been over so many years. One from 2019 -

Shai

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Linkin Park type music appeals to me but want to be upbeat for tomorrows' game. This is old school, I don't like a lot of the recent rock.

Don't expect our players to go kamikaze but do not let others disrespect our club and tradition!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James1970

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Those moments in life, when you die a little inside...such as the time yesterday when I discovered one of my favourite Stones songs is featured in the new Tarantino movie, making it a little bit tainted now. Thanks Quentin, for nothing.

I'll stick with the Chris Farlowe for now...

James1970

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Damn another one RIP

Always preferred Ric in the production chair, but he certainly had a great life doing what he loved, with a little Buddy Holly always running through his music.

Just as The Cars were getting into gear in 1979, Ric met up with two down-and-out New Yorker music-artists, and produced their second album, along with this - it's safe to say this is in my favourite top 5 singles of all time.

I loved the fact Ric worked on and off with Suicide through the years, along with Alan and Martin's solo projects. As The Cars toured and sold millions of records, Suicide played sporadically to audience abuse and sold in the thousands and were pretty much ignored by the mainstream - but Ric knew they were special.

Suicide's third album is probably the closest they got to Ric's overall style and sound with The Cars - especially on the masterpiece that is Surrender, released as a single in 1988. Obvious to say, but if The Cars covered this, it would have been a massive hit across the globe.

Ric's work on Alan Vega's solo album Saturn Strip is also beautiful, keeping it stripped back and simple. Included was a supreme cover of Hot Chocolate's magnum opus, where Alan's rap turns the original into a battle-cry for the lost and the lonely - "It's hard, so hard - I KNOW - but hold your head high, keep the light in your eye - because you're a winner, babe." It rarely gets more vital than this...

Top Bottom