Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love some feedback on my bands new release :)

Hi Matt - not really my cuppa (I pretty much stop at 1997), but congrats on making and recording music.

Just a slight piece of feedback from an old recording engineer, which you can feel free to throw away, but it might be little bit too 'trebbly', with the drums slightly muffled. Not sure if this was done at the recording stage or down-mix, but a little separation, with a touch more bass and kick with the drums, could work well. This should open up the dynamics a bit more.

Hi Matt - not really my cuppa (I pretty much stop at 1997), but congrats on making and recording music.

Just a slight piece of feedback from an old recording engineer, which you can feel free to throw away, but it might be little bit too 'trebbly', with the drums slightly muffled. Not sure if this was done at the recording stage or down-mix, but a little separation, with a touch more bass and kick with the drums, could work well. This should open up the dynamics a bit more.
Thank you, really appreciate the feedback. This was my first ever self produced release so I'm keen to learn whatever i can from the experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn another one RIP

Always preferred Ric in the production chair, but he certainly had a great life doing what he loved, with a little Buddy Holly always running through his music.

Just as The Cars were getting into gear in 1979, Ric met up with two down-and-out New Yorker music-artists, and produced their second album, along with this - it's safe to say this is in my favourite top 5 singles of all time.

I loved the fact Ric worked on and off with Suicide through the years, along with Alan and Martin's solo projects. As The Cars toured and sold millions of records, Suicide played sporadically to audience abuse and sold in the thousands and were pretty much ignored by the mainstream - but Ric knew they were special.

Suicide's third album is probably the closest they got to Ric's overall style and sound with The Cars - especially on the masterpiece that is Surrender, released as a single in 1988. Obvious to say, but if The Cars covered this, it would have been a massive hit across the globe.

Ric's work on Alan Vega's solo album Saturn Strip is also beautiful, keeping it stripped back and simple. Included was a supreme cover of Hot Chocolate's magnum opus, where Alan's rap turns the original into a battle-cry for the lost and the lonely - "It's hard, so hard - I KNOW - but hold your head high, keep the light in your eye - because you're a winner, babe." It rarely gets more vital than this...

Anyone forking our more hard-earned dosh for the new Abbey Road deluxe set?

'You Never Give Me Your Money' - those we're the days, eh, Paul?

Hoping mine arrives by the end of the week, though I'm slightly underwhelmed by the content, especially considering the price that's been asked. Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

Still by far the best version of that. And from 4 minutes 30 in when Mr. Taylor takes off..........lord have mercy.
one of those songs where there will always be two versions, the studio one and the best live take. Jumping Jack Flash is another example from the Stones.
I agree, either because its Mick Taylor or because the Stones were younger and surging, this era's versions of SftD were great.

one of those songs where there will always be two versions, the studio one and the best live take. Jumping Jack Flash is another example from the Stones.
I agree, either because its Mick Taylor or because the Stones were younger and surging, this era's versions of SftD were great.

Yep. Stray Cat Blues is another from the same (live) album that is on a whole other level to the already excellent studio version.

Slowly working through the new Abbey Road bonanza...to these ears, it's still a somewhat over-rated set of songs and like millions of others, including Ringo, John and George, the inclusion of that song of Paul's still grates. Sadly, we get another version of it - Take 12 - on the first CD of 'Sessions' but wisely, it's been placed last, so we can stop the CD easily enough.

The new Giles remix is all a little blah, and the blu-ray is pointless for those of us without need for 5.1 ATMOS surround-sound nonsense.

Which leaves the two CDs of session material...leaving Maxwell alone - and yes, we could have had George and Isn't It a Pity on this album ffs - this is glorious stuff. One can only join the chorus of reviews - it really is like sitting in the studio as four guys on the other side of the glass simply 'play'.

It's all highlights - Paul's demo for Come and Get It, the studio demo for Something; a startling take of Sun King (that both pays loving tribute to the original Albatross and pre-dates the sound of Pink Floyd, 10CC and Brian Eno/Roxy just around the corner) melting into Mean Mr. Mustard; Paul instructing John to hold it back a bit on guitar - 'you're giving away all your best bits' - before the band runs through She Came in Through... - a version that may just be better than the finished track; and a 'trial edit' of The Long One which is simply genius and why for many, this work is held so high.

Feelings felt during the initial run-though of The White Album archive return - a simple longing for loved ones no longer around who would have loved to have heard this stuff, especially Paul's take on Golden Slumbers, his voice cracking, knowing the end has come.

The sessions end with the instrumental brass and string arrangements for Something, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight - and again, it's a genius way to bring this to a close, our senses hugged by melodies as if sent from the heavens. Surprisingly, there's no box of Abbey Road tissues, which are needed at various points.

"Oh, that magic feeling - nowhere to go..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back