Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

sometimes the suggestion scroll spits up some gold :)
back in the day, these guys were always on my party tapes, (cassette tapes for you young'uns), The Smithereens and locals, The Walkabouts had a great heavy pop sound in mid 80s

oh that bass

For some reason The Smithereens always remind me of the UK band The Godfathers, who had a few minor hits here around the same time.

Guitar power-pop done well, if somewhat derivative, released at a time by major USA labels thinking that at any moment, these bands would crack the charts in a major way. So money was spent on the records, the videos, the promotion.

But almost overnight they became dated and buried by the urgency and vitality of the younger generation finding their own lives in the underground sounds of The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, etc...exciting times...

I've been daydreaming about my old party tapes, some tracks I remember...

Warren Zevon with the REM rhythm section, excellent jam record

REM, still one of my favorite get drunk and get punky on the guitar songs :)

B52s

Iggy :)

and the Pogues, paradigm shifters for me :thumbsu:

too many to include
Divinyls
Replacements
Big Country
Sex Pistols
Stray Cats
early Joan Jett
Los Lobos
Waterboys
Georgia Satellites
Concrete Blonde
Walkabouts
Sonics

I'd usually include a snippet or two from some video in between songs on each tape.Young Ones were a favorite source. :laughing:
Oh, wow! Techno-fear! It's happening again, all the machines are ganging up on me! Vyvyan!
and the first 18 seconds of this

It's one of my favourite songs from my favourite album and as a new Geelong fan from Liverpool, I thought I'd just join in with the thread. :)
welcome, and you have selected a GREAT club and team to follow

It's one of my favourite songs from my favourite album and as a new Geelong fan from Liverpool, I thought I'd just join in with the thread. :)
May I reciprocate with one of my favourite songs from my favourite Dylan album?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

relevant this year in many ways.
Brilliant poet, singer, songwriter.

I choose between
Tom Waits
Van Morrison
Mark Knopfler
Leonard Cohen
Bob Dylan
Neil Diamond
Paul McCartney
Paul Simon
Jackson Browne
Bruce Springsteen
Al Stewart
every day

Last edited:
So hard watching this, as I was sitting stage left with my uncle, about 40 feet from the stage. He had taken me to my first 'big gig' (Bowie at VFL Park) and would sneak me into pub gigs if there was an act he thought I should see. It was a pretty weird night, somewhat tacky, that pushed the nostalgia BS to bombast (Col Joye was truly awful). But at least I could say I've seen Bo Diddley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry in the flesh. Each act had about 20 minutes and to be honest I don't remember that much (apart from Bo pretty much stealing the show).

But I knew we were really there for one reason - Phil and Don. My uncle idolized them, and with Buddy Holly, was the bedrock he based his love of music on.

As All I Have To Do Is Dream and those harmonies floated effortlessly around us, he took my arm, the tears flowing down his face. I found out weeks later what he had kept secret...this would be his last gig. Within a few months, he'd die from lung cancer, at only 46. Alas, Let It Be Me.

Van Morrison...and in particular the Astral Weeks album are a joy to take in....

A pity I cant be so effusive about his live concerts...the three I attended (the latest a few years back at Montreux ) were all very disappointing.

Nevertheless...heres another example of his powerful voice along with Knopflers serene voice and guitar work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back