Opinion Josh Cowan - worth the wait?

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
So for four weeks now Josh Cowan has been selected in the AFL side and for 4 weeks the response seems to have been something along the lines of WTF? I thought rather than filling a bunch of different threads the debate about him should probably go in one thread. So what say you? Spud, star or solid citizen?

I also was messing around with cutting videos of players. I thought it's probably best to have some evidence of what he brings to the table so here's every involvement from Cowan from the first quarter on the weekend.

When the video cacks itself at the 30 second mark Stringer roves the pack and Cowan lays a sort of tackle sort of bump thing as he goes to shoot at goal. I also don't guarantee that it's every involvement as I didn't go through the quarter with a fine tooth comb.

So for four weeks now Josh Cowan has been selected in the AFL side and for 4 weeks the response seems to have been something along the lines of WTF? I thought rather than filling a bunch of different threads the debate about him should probably go in one thread. So what say you? Spud, star or solid citizen?

I also was messing around with cutting videos of players. I thought it's probably best to have some evidence of what he brings to the table so here's every involvement from Cowan from the first quarter on the weekend.

When the video cacks itself at the 30 second mark Stringer roves the pack and Cowan lays a sort of tackle sort of bump thing as he goes to shoot at goal. I also don't guarantee that it's every involvement as I didn't go through the quarter with a fine tooth comb.

Get some footage of him at stoppages on the wings, he is covering the player closest to the corridor to prevent an aggressive switch by the opposition.

Last edited:
Get some footage of him at stoppages on the wings, he's covering the player closest to the corridor to prevent an aggressive switch by the opposition.

Yep every time. It's interesting to me that people criticise him for not getting enough of the ball but at every stoppage he's in a position where if the ball comes in his direction we've made some bad mistakes.

SH part got me thinking - Shroeder was the one i was thinking of - so that makes 4 - i forgot completely about Sherringham
And people wonder why we fell short of flags during that era. :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And here was me thinking our rucks stocks were the number one prob. It was our battlers in the reserves that was the real cause!
A multi-faceted problem, but having players of the calibre of Burbury, Shroder, Sherringham and Stringer play 47 AFL games between them in 2012-2014 is pretty telling.

He was the only one that ever looked AFL-like!

Not sure why but he just didn't take the next step.

Whatever happened to Schroder ?
He was at Essendon VFL last year but seemed to struggle to get a regular game

Like Jansen he had a really limited outside game and his inside game was in a similar style to Mitch Robinson, get it moving in your direction not necessarily to your advantage

Any way back to Cowan

"For some silly reason, you people want to assassinate him. It's just rubbish. You people, all of you, ALL OF YOU, leave him alone!"

Brad Ottens he aint

The only thing i like - is his aggressive - maniac type tackling - thats about it - he did kick that 60 metre goal off one step at the Gabba about 6 years ago - maybe Chris has flashbacks to that

I was sure Burbury was going to be regular AFL player.

He had a horrid run with injury in his last season with us. Broken Jaw in the pre-season, seem to get the yips after that. Played six straight at AFL level tackled well but didn't challenge the goals and then lost the rest of the year to soft tissue injuries.

Lana and Footy Smarts have nailed it and thats the reason Cowan gets the nod....he has a specific role and carries it out. Whats more, he's an excellent decision maker, tackles hard and runs all day.

There are many facets to the building of a good side...dare I mention a champion team will beat a team of champions.....Cowan is no champion, but to date, he's doing all that is asked of him.

It may not suit that Dream team brigade, but right now at least he's doing his job. And that's why he's selected.

Josh Cowan is suffering from what we in the supporters enclosure call the:

"What's He Doing In The Seniors Syndrome"

This condition means that to at least one supporter, you are the cause of everything that is wrong with the team. It comes about because of one major reason, and that is the player has played more than several games on end. Symptoms include occasional erratic kicking (except if you are called Dangerfield. Then its the receiving player's fault for not being tall enough); becoming insignificant (opinion); not having the same impact you had some time back, even if that is because the coach has given you a different role. Also, not being close to bog every game doesn't help.

The cure is simple: back to the banker's. The player that will save the team comes in from the reserves to replace the you. He is much heralded and talked about by supporters amazed he isn't already in the side. He will inevitably come down with the same syndrome after several weeks. After a bit more than a month of good reserves games you will be seen as the saviour to the senior team once again. All is forgotten/forgiven, and you are back in the side at the expense of the old saviour. Hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back