Opinion Josh Cowan - worth the wait?

Remove this Banner Ad

He was ok today.

As an aside who else has worn the number 18 in the side. I cant think anyone post Murray Whitcombe
Paul Lynch. Kent Kingsley.

I thought he was pretty good.
I'm still worried he will never get to a stage where he doesn't looked rushed.

Shame he isn't 20.

Whatever happened to Schroder ?
He was at Essendon VFL last year but seemed to struggle to get a regular game

Schroder. You know what? I seriously don't think Sam Mitchell is all that much. Very good ball sense, very good passer. Very effective in his team. And very much persevered with by Hawthorn as he was coming up the ranks. His short arsed coach took a liking to him, for sure. Don't get me wrong. Mitchell is a huge contributor for Hawthorn. But we judge Mitchell on what he is today. Nobody was saying he was going to be a champ when he started off. Mitchell was nowhere near as good as he is today when he started off.

Schroder and others didn't get lucky like that. Only a few like that do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schroder. You know what? I seriously don't think Sam Mitchell is all that much. Very good ball sense, very good passer. Very effective in his team. And very much persevered with by Hawthorn as he was coming up the ranks. His short arsed coach took a liking to him, for sure. Don't get me wrong. Mitchell is a huge contributor for Hawthorn. But we judge Mitchell on what he is today. Nobody was saying he was going to be a champ when he started off. Mitchell was nowhere near as good as he is today when he started off.

Schroder and others didn't get lucky like that. Only a few like that do.
Have to disagree with this one. Shroder was a spud and Mitchell is a star, Mitchell was better than Schroder on all levels and at all ages.

Everyone got Mitchell wrong, the thought process had become that athleticism was where the game was heading and mitchell was too short and slow. His ability to just play the game was ignored, recent years has seen this methodology change and recruiters etc realising that the most important aspect over everything is ability to play the game.

Mitchell is nearly the best at just playing football. Schroder was just a battler, tried hard but no skill and poise, just tried bash through. Wasnt a great kick, didnt have a much of step. Mitchell is sublimly skilled and evasive and always was, he was just ignored because of his height and pace. He has changed this misconception.

Im sorry but I couldn't disagree more and I hate Mitchell. Schroder....just please...he couldn't play.

Putting his form to one side, fantastic perseverance from medical staff and Josh to get him back to a level where he can play 4 AFL games in a row with no injuries. That never looked possible.
That and Menzel, and our injury situation as a whole.... fantastic work from our medical staff.

I thought he was pretty good.
I'm still worried he will never get to a stage where he doesn't looked rushed.

Shame he isn't 20.
He was the best I have seen him look, and while I still don't see him as ever being more than a good honest trier.. we seem more balanced with him in the side, so maybe he is what we need

Have to disagree with this one. Shroder was a spud and Mitchell is a star, Mitchell was better than Schroder on all levels and at all ages.

Everyone got Mitchell wrong, the thought process had become that athleticism was where the game was heading and mitchell was too short and slow. His ability to just play the game was ignored, recent years has seen this methodology change and recruiters etc realising that the most important aspect over everything is ability to play the game.

Mitchell is nearly the best at just playing football. Schroder was just a battler, tried hard but no skill and poise, just tried bash through. Wasnt a great kick, didnt have a much of step. Mitchell is sublimly skilled and evasive and always was, he was just ignored because of his height and pace. He has changed this misconception.

Im sorry but I couldn't disagree more and I hate Mitchell. Schroder....just please...he couldn't play.
I can't believe anyone would compare Schroeder to Mitchell.

And Mitchell will be a Brownlow medallist shortly.

While he appears to goes missing in-game that shouldn't come as a big surprise since he has turned going missing into an art-form. However, I do think his last couple of weeks have been acceptable for a guy I regularly pot and don't particularly rate much.

I think his output is increasing on a week to week basis and he is looking more comfortable with each senior game he gets under his belt.

At the very least, Cowan (along with guys like Bews, Ruggles, Lang, Kersten, Clark & Horlin-Smith) is adding depth and providing options at selection.

Last edited:
I can't believe anyone would compare Schroeder to Mitchell.

And Mitchell will be a Brownlow medallist shortly.
Is there an impending PFD disqualification we should be aware of?

Is there an impending PFD disqualification we should be aware of?

Im thinking more a Jobe ... I mean Jibe at the Brownlow situation... :cool:

GO Catters

I thought Cowan looked better yesterday than many other weeks, but I'm not sure if it was because he's settling into the pace of AFL or because he was able to compete better against the basically VFL Essendon team. Probably a bit of both.

Geelong have less passengers than what the last quarter of Melbourne v Hawthorn exposed in the Hawks lineup.

i could have told footy clubs that

now can i have a recruiting job
Absolutely.

Winning the ball became irrelevant (perceived as) for a while. Took people a long time to accept Swan as any good too. Just didn't look athletic enough but was deceptively quick and effective.

Patrick Cripps had mixed reviews by recruiters, some wouldve taken him earlier others not in the first rd. The turn back towards rating players who are genuine footballers a lot higher has started. Clayton Olivers rise up the draft order was an example of this, 10 years ago I don't think he would've gone in the first rd purely because he looked unlikely.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more and I hate Mitchell. Schroder....just please...he couldn't play.
Shroder wasn't the best example for the point I was making. But saying he couldn't play is ridiculous. He won the B&F for the bankers a couple of years back, so of course he could play. And as for Shroder's style, you don't don't know what was asked of him. Players careers are made and broken on such things. Mitchell, from what I have read, was first spotted as a player who could get plenty of the ball. He knew where to go, and he could move well for a slow player. That by itself would not make him the player he is today. His disposal is as good as any mid, both feet; an elite passer. He was allowed to develop that. That was the point I was making. There is only so many spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back