Opinion Josh Cowan - worth the wait?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sums it up pretty well. I'd add one thing, particularly for finals, he should be told to never, ever try to break a tackle.
I have actually been impressed with his footy smarts... but absolutely agree he needs to learn that he simply isn't strong enough to break tackles.

Sums it up pretty well. I'd add one thing, particularly for finals, he should be told to never, ever try to break a tackle.

Noticed that many players now just flop to the ground the moment they are collared hoping for an in the back (ITB) call, a high call or just simply putting enough doubt into the umpires mind to preclude a holding the ball (HTB) decision against.

The Lions players did this ad nauseam on the weekend and it worked a treat with hardly any of them getting pinged for some pretty obvious HTB situations.

Last edited:

Another good quality performance....this guy takes the best options 9 times out of ten. A real football brain...and getting better every week. Topped it up with 10 tackles today.

I very much doubt he will be left out in 2 weeks time.

Cowan is improving. Yes, falls over and is not physically mature. Falling over is dumb at AFL level and shows he has to build a core to stay on his feet. Would like to measure him with contested marks and beating an opponent. Acknowledging that he has moved up in player ranking.

Another good quality performance....this guy takes the best options 9 times out of ten. A real football brain...and getting better every week. Topped it up with 10 tackles today.

I very much doubt he will be left out in 2 weeks time.

Certainly deserves to be there but it's going to be touch and go you'd suspect, two have to make way for Henderson and Selwood and he could be unlucky.

Certainly deserves to be there but it's going to be touch and go you'd suspect, two have to make way for Henderson and Selwood and he could be unlucky.
Have my doubts about Hendo being available. Although it’s not de rigueur here to suggest it I’d be comfortable if Mackie made way for him should he be available. More likely to be Kolo though.

Bews, Cowan and (heaven forfend) Jimmeh might be those under scrutiny if they see Scooter as a must.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i want to join the cowan love club, please. i have really rated him lately and he is getting better. seems a smart footballer and a kind of odd player in that no physical attribute is strong, but he is a footballer.

Just keeps on finding a way to stay in. Now after continued reasonable form (could call it good form for his game time) and Henderson and Cocky out he may play in a final against Hawthorn. Great story.

Last edited:
So he's now 13 from 13 yet still some people want him dropped. I edited his involvements in case anybody is interested.

I love the way he's throwing his body in but also the way he knows how a slight nudge can clear space for a teammate. His long kicking inside 50 is a highlight since it's both penetrating and always to our man's advantage. It'd be good if we got it into his hands more. He also had a brilliant last quarter when the game was on the line. It's a pity he hit the post and couldn't hold onto a couple of grabs when he'd done all the hard stuff because he was very close to winning the game for us a couple of times. That effort on the wing in the leadup to our last goal was every bit as good as Bartel and Selwood's just afterwards. Anybody thinking he should be dropped after that has lost the plot.

Also is that the first lace-out no-look backheel in AFL history?:p

So he's now 13 from 13 yet still some people want him dropped. I edited his involvements in case anybody is interested.

I love the way he's throwing his body in but also the way he knows how a slight nudge can clear space for a teammate. His long kicking inside 50 is a highlight since it's both penetrating and always to our man's advantage. It'd be good if we got it into his hands more. He also had a brilliant last quarter when the game was on the line. It's a pity he hit the post and couldn't hold onto a couple of grabs when he'd done all the hard stuff because he was very close to winning the game for us a couple of times. That effort on the wing in the leadup to our last goal was every bit as good as Bartel and Selwood's just afterwards. Anybody thinking he should be dropped after that has lost the plot.

Also is that the first lace-out no-look backheel in AFL history?:p

Agree completely. His tackles stick the majority of the time. His work rate is very high and is hard as cats head.

Very nearly snagged a great goal and has added, with Menegola, an edge to the side IMO.

There is a little of a certain ex #33 to his game as well..... And for the debbie downers no im not referring to his injuries...

GO Catters

Gee, I'm beginning to get very fond of this one.
He doesn't hesitate to put his body in. And it's not like he's built like a tank.
Someone here said he is suited for finals.
He might make mistakes here and there but.... I thought he should be delisted this time last year and now I want him out there as we try to make a Granny. Gotta love footy.

Agree completely. His tackles stick the majority of the time. His work rate is very high and is hard as cats head.

Very nearly snagged a great goal and has added, with Menegola, an edge to the side IMO.

There is a little of a certain ex #33 to his game as well..... And for the debbie downers no im not referring to his injuries...

GO Catters

I had the same thought regarding the similarities to Rooke. Plays a defensive role, not afraid to recklessly put his head over the pill, gets low numbers but always finds a way to impact the contest in our favour. He's a grea decision maker too with a footy brain, he's better than Rooke in those two areas.

I had the same thought regarding the similarities to Rooke. Plays a defensive role, not afraid to recklessly put his head over the pill, gets low numbers but always finds a way to impact the contest in our favour. He's a grea decision maker too with a footy brain, he's better than Rooke in those two areas.

His disposal is better I think too.

This might not be a popular opinion and it isn't one I'm all that strong on however I reckon the type of player Cowen is, is suited to finals footy, he is clean under pressure, doesn't mind the hard stuff, is naturally a defensively minded midfielder and I don't think differences in intensity between games throws him off like some, also I reckon with some continuity he will be a very consistent performer.

We lack those types on the fringe, most of our 15-22 picked players are more outside running players where the above really doesn't apply for the most part (Lang, Gregson (albeit injuried), Cocky, Murdoch (hahahahahahahahaha) etc) so to have half of our all important "bottom 6" of that ilk (I added Scooter and Menegola) bodes well for us IMO.

Stick by this :)

I enjoyed watching Cowan (as much as i could in a tense game) on the weekend. I have found myself transitioning from 'jee i hope he uses this okay/doesn't stuff up' thoughts to 'oh good, Cowan has the ball'. Did some great work across the ground :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back