The Name of Our Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing that there are so many sports that can be called football, it makes sense that the word is used to refer to the local code. I wouldn't called it soccer in England. I wouldn't call it gridiron in the US. I wouldn't call it AFL in Australia. They are all football. The context is your location.

On a side note, I do believe that our game needs a unique name that inspires interest elsewhere. I like the idea of using the indigenous terms like Marn Grook. Of course locally it will always be referred to as football or footy.

soccer is s**t
It's better than nrl

When the new season is about to start I get pretty excited.
I am known to clap my hands numerous times as I chant "footy, footy, footy, footy", numerous times
My son thinks I'm a bit nuts

In Queensland if you say "football " or "footy" people assume Rugby League. I say "AFL" if referring to the competition or "Aussie Rules" if referring to the sport.
They get upset when you call RL rugby and RU Union.

people are labelling football as "AFL". "I play AFL" "I like AFL". This pisses me off monumentally, I tell them that it's not, and then they ask me if I'm mentally handicapped!!! The Prime Minister, Fox Sports, Channel Seven have all at one point incorrectly used the term "AFL" in place of the proper name, and it's really sad.
I heard the CEO of the Australian Football competition in New Zealand being interviewed on radio recently. He was asked how they cope in NZ with the name, "Aussie Rules' and he responded, "The name of the football code in NZ is 'AFL' so it's not an issue"

It's 'Aussie Rules'
It's not, it's 'Australian Football'.

Australian Football (Official title of the code)
Whether it is called Australian Football, Australian Rules Football, "Aussie Rules", the VFL, the AFL, Australia's only indigenous football code is officially entitled 'Australian football'. It has never been officially referred to as 'Australian rules football'. Such terminology has only ever appeared in the form of football journalism, coined by different writers.

AFL refers to the elite Australian football competition known as the Australian Football League.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/about-the-afl

'Rules' was a derogatory term created by Rugby League NSW journalists in the 1800's or something IIRC.

It's not, it's 'Australian Football'.

Australian Football (Official title of the code)
Whether it is called Australian Football, Australian Rules Football, "Aussie Rules", the VFL, the AFL, Australia's only indigenous football code is officially entitled 'Australian football'. It has never been officially referred to as 'Australian rules football'. Such terminology has only ever appeared in the form of football journalism, coined by different writers.

AFL refers to the elite Australian football competition known as the Australian Football League.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/about-the-afl

'Rules' was a derogatory term created by Rugby League NSW journalists in the 1800's or something IIRC.

I remember someone else stating that about the term "rules" being a derogatory term but for the life of me I can't work out why, I used to call it Aussie rules when growing up as plenty of others did and have played the game all my life, I know in PNG they call it rules football

That's not a world I want to live in.
I hope you never leave Victoria..

The reality is that sports channels are now national and so can't get stuck in regional parlance. There will be more and more pressure to call soccer 'football' as they push towards international audiences. There's no need to put down other sports or feel threatened by confusion, they're just ball games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you never leave Victoria..

The reality is that sports channels are now national and so can't get stuck in regional parlance. There will be more and more pressure to call soccer 'football' as they push towards international audiences. There's no need to put down other sports or feel threatened by confusion, they're just ball games.
Just ball games?

It's more than that, and I hate the flogs that call soccer football with a passion.

'Football' is a cultural thing.

Australian rules, rugby, association, American, Canadian, Gaelic... it's all football. Most people call the code they most closely follow, 'football'.

I might be in the minority but I really couldn't give a s**t how each code chooses to do their marketing. I'm able to work out that a Super Rugby fixture between Western Force and NSW Waratahs is rugby union and an A-League game between Perth Glory and Sydney FC is soccer even if the commentators keep saying 'football'.

Don't confuse everybody with your rational thinking.

Of all the things to have a ******* whinge about...

made it to page 3 so far... man, there is nothing more petty and baffling than someone telling someone else that their subjective choices in what to watch/like are 'wrong'.

also, 'code wars' are moronic.

Yeah but how am i supposed to know that my personal preference for a certain sport is wrong?

Just ball games?

It's more than that, and I hate the flogs that call soccer football with a passion.

Hey! im a nice guy when you get to know me.

Just ball games?

Absolutely ridiculous. Soccer fans in Aus have copped so much BS from Rugby and Aussie rules fans historically. If NRL and AFL fans can call their codes football then why can't Soccer fans? At least they have the rest of the world to back them up.

'Soccer' wasn't invented by soccer fans.

The word soccer came from the English. They can go to hell if they complain about soccer being said instead of football when they made the word.
Don't be stupid - of course it's an english word. But the english don't call it soccer. It's a name which was used by fans of other codes to differentiate.

But as I said, why get up in arms about whatever anyone calls football? No one's shutting down the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back