The National Anthem, to stand or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

You make me very pleased that I've never watched any of the Star Wars thingies. I detest all forms of science fiction, or ludicrous fantasy for that matter. They lack verisimilitude for me. Also, in such films, the ending is inevitable. The humans always win, otherwise there'd be nobody to write the story.
You would absolutely love "The Perfect Storm" skilts....
Based on a true* story of a trawler which went to sea never to be seen again. A rescue helicopter was sent to rescue them and never returned. No survivor to even explain a minute since they left sight of land.
*It is true there are boats called trawlers...
The movies wildly supposes they were all killed by a giant wave and spends near on two hours dramatising said wild supposition.

Last edited:
You make me very pleased that I've never watched any of the Star Wars thingies. I detest all forms of science fiction, or ludicrous fantasy for that matter. They lack verisimilitude for me. Also, in such films, the ending is inevitable. The humans always win, otherwise there'd be nobody to write the story.

You shouldn't detest Science Fiction from bastardised versions that appeal to $$ through film. There are some awesome science fiction novels that focus on potential I.e what could be. My Dad was fascinated with a book that talked about an intelligent cloud in outer space. No war, no guns no "yay planet earth" but more on is there life or intelligence that exists without a biological body (well as we know it). And no not any religious interference either being God. It's hard to explain and I'll hit him up in the title and share.

I too have never stood, and never will. An example of manipulation by flap doodle, especially in the U.S. That, and the rag they call a flag, form a large part of the alleged reason they and we keep invading countries with which we have no valid argument. Anthems should be banned at all sporting events. They only encourage idiocy.
* what a surprise :huh:
Is there anything in the world that doesn't piss you off old man?

My view is the same as Gough in the OP. Standing during the national anthem of any country is just a respect thing and its not like standing for a couple of minutes is a particularly difficult thing to do.
Exactly.
But remember, you're talking to all the cool kids in here that like to rebel against societal norms

How about turning your back on that great SJW act of welcome to "my land" ceremony at the cricket?

The ABC and Fairfax would go in to meltdown.

Likewise I wonder how many offended right wing 'Muricans sport the Confederate Flag or argued for it to be displayed on government buildings?

Sitting down during the national anthem is one thing. Celebrating a failed coup is actual treason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a ficking preseason game

Just thank whatever you beieve in australia inst a similar banana republic

Its bad enough on anzac weekend

A fricking preseason game

How about turning your back on that great SJW act of welcome to "my land" ceremony at the cricket?

The ABC and Fairfax would go in to meltdown.
We already know why you'd do it.
But what reason would someone else have to turn their back on that?

If someone is objecting to Australia going to war, or putting troops in another country, I can understand protesting non-violently, by not standing for the national anthem.
But what reasons would people have to turn their back on a "my land" ceremony?

I started school at Surrey Hills PS in 1979, and can remember swearing allegiance to the flag, and singing God Save the Queen. I had four schools across three states in the next four years, and Victoria was the only place where I had to do that, although in WA you had to recite The Lord's Prayer which was weird.

I've never seen the point of playing the national anthem unless the national team is playing.
Agree, I don't understand the anthem playing during AFL finals, it smacks of nationalistic bullshit.

I started school at Surrey Hills PS in 1979, and can remember swearing allegiance to the flag, and singing God Save the Queen. I had four schools across three states in the next four years, and Victoria was the only place where I had to do that, although in WA you had to recite The Lord's Prayer which was weird.
We had to sing the national anthem and the school song in the '80s (no Lord's Prayer). School songs seem to have gone out of fashion.

FMD, I feel old. I started school in 1953, at Holy Spirit Primary School, in East Thornbury. About a year later, I spent what are still among the most excruciatingly boring six hours of my life. I was standing on Mt Alexander Rd, waiting for the Queen to pass by. And pass by she did. It was all over in about six seconds. The beginnings of my current disaffection towards the monarchy, and of feeling as old as I do.

We already know why you'd do it.
But what reason would someone else have to turn their back on that?

If someone is objecting to Australia going to war, or putting troops in another country, I can understand protesting non-violently, by not standing for the national anthem.

personally I wouldn't turn my back on the "my land" ceremony and feel the welcome to country ceremonies are becoming one of celebration rather than division. but I can understand that people see this country as "ours" being all inclusive rather than "theirs" and thus taken back when a ceremony is highlighting division rather than togetherness.

So too young to recollect this one then Goughy?

Well it's not their land for starters.

Regardless its repulsive to use a sporting event to shove pc nonsense down peoples throats and use sportsmen as pawns.

See the pressure on footballers to sign up for anti "homophobia" promos. Do you think the AFL would stand for it if players lent their support to non SJW campaigns? No chance.

How would you like to be used by a sporting organisation to promote a right wing cause?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back