The National Anthem, to stand or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

What right wing cause would you like to see the AFL support?

None Gough, none at all, that is my point. Sport should be separate from politics.

Ask Pessimistic he's still furious that Kennett was elected Hawthorn president.

You want to see a Collingwood banner on game day with "no illegal immigrants" written on it?

Sport, and politics are irrevocably tied, particularly when groups like FIFA, and the IOC are quasi diplomatic organisations.
And try telling India, and Pakistan that when they play it's just about the jolly old cricket.

FIFA and the IOC are just a racket.

India and Pakistan is about nationalism not about the trendy social justice topic of the day.

How do you think you would go in India with an IPL team promoting the eating of beef or ending the cast system?

Perhaps when there are levels of support for those issues in India that there are for issues like ending breast cancer, violence against women, homophobia, and reconciliation in Australia then the IPL might consider it. All companies have social policies anyway, why should sporting bodies be any different.

Seeing as this topic strayed onto the topic of 'race':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence#Race

Bearing that in mind, 'racism' is defined as:

'The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.'

Long story short, if you're going to assert 'biology' as a basis for an argument to attribute a negative characteristic or quality to a 'biological race' (which anthropologists and geneticists agree dont exist) you're not only walking into the realms of psuedo-science (at best) you're also running a huge risk of stepping into the realms of racism (which contravenes the sites rules).

Be very careful wading into this territory. Do your research first, and be very careful with your choice of words.
Why can't white men jump then and is that movie racist.

But it's fine to shove nationalistic nonsense down people's throats, right?
The first live rugby broadcast to South Africa was from Hamilton in New Zealand in July 1981 when the Boks played Waikato. Just before kick off a group of anti Apartheid activists staged a sit in on the pitch causing the game to be canceled. This was almost the first time those Boer bastards saw the overseas opposition to there policy first hand, it changed plenty, the tour finished but the Springboks didn't tour again until Apartheid was dismantled. Madiba himself credited the protesters action in opening the eyes of white South Africans to the cause. Politics, and sport go together like Farr-Jones, and Lynagh, and it can facilitate change.

But it's fine to shove nationalistic nonsense down people's throats, right?

No, lets get rid of the ANZAC day game as well.

See, its not hard.

All companies have social policies anyway, why should sporting bodies be any different.

No they bloody don't. An irrelevant point in any event. You really want to force the local bowls club to start advocating the SJW rainbows and unicorns piffle du jour?

I never stand for it at the footy, which is pretty much the only place I come across it (during finals) -

It's funny though, hadn't sung the anthem or stood for it since I was a teenager, and for the longest time I never thought I'd ever do it again under any circumstance - Patriotism become kinda gross quickly once I actually looked at it.
But I had my Dip Ed placements a couple of years ago. My very first day on my first placement at a primary school, there was a school assembly. Went in and sat next to my mentor teacher who'd I'd only just met, and when the principal went out and asked everyone to start for the national anthem, I suddenly had the thought of 'Oh * - I completely forgot about this' -

Next minute, I'm standing up and I'm mouthing the words.

My second placement was at a school that also stood and sung the national anthem each assembly, but which also acknowledgde the traditional owners of the land, and read the notices out in English, Vietnamese and Mandarin.

My second placement was at a school that also stood and sung the national anthem each assembly, but which also acknowledgde the traditional owners of the land, and read the notices out in English, Vietnamese and Mandarin.

The glory of the Australian education system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We already know why you'd do it.
But what reason would someone else have to turn their back on that?

If someone is objecting to Australia going to war, or putting troops in another country, I can understand protesting non-violently, by not standing for the national anthem.
But what reasons would people have to turn their back on a "my land" ceremony?

He's racist.

Is doing things that cost you nothing and make others feel respected really that anathema to you? My parents called it good manners growing up.
It costs me that it is found to be necessary to play this dirge, when I hate the concept of it, and any other form of rampant nationalism so passionately. If, as it seems, hurting my feelings doesn't matter a twopenny black ****, why should I care about the feelings of people I've never met, who feel constrained to criticize my adopted posture to a hideous noise, when they know me not at all? I find such interference in my life unacceptable. The easiest thing would be for them to mind their own ****ing business.

I don't like the anthem because of the words (especially verses two and five) and I would love to have the nerve to not stand up but I do.

Don't think I can ever recall when all five verses have been sung.

Who wants to keep a "British soul"?

upload_2016-9-16_12-2-43.png

On the other hand, I don't have a problem standing as a mark of respect for other countries national anthems at any official function.

This is an interesting article, seems there might have been a sixth verse:eek:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...y/news-story/3426a3ac2512611ef7392cf5a2d5e5f5

AND A SECRET MISSING VERSE
While sexism and bloodthirsty warnings were all par the course for the national anthem, it seems religion was beyond the pale with not a mention of God in the whole song. That is apart from a mysterious sixth verse which, from time-to-time, reveals itself. In 2011, a row erupted between the guardians of the anthem and some Christian schools who resurrected the verse, which proclaims “With Christ our head and cornerstone / We’ll build our nation’s might”.

I don't recall ever having stood for the national anthem before. However, I didn't realise it was something people deemed important. During the Olympics I found it pretty cringeworthy how seriously the US athletes took it.

I just don't really care about the national anthem. It's not something that makes me feel closer to the people around me, nor is it something that I cherish.

Is doing things that cost you nothing and make others feel respected really that anathema to you? My parents called it good manners growing up.

Lol the good manners fallacy. Its that sort of attitude which saw mass fiddling in Ireland brushed under the carpet for generations out of respect for the Church (not to mention grooming in northern England etc)

How is that good manners?

Who would have thought that people would be arguing in favour of blasphemy laws in this day and age. Staggering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back