Win Prizes The NBA Off-Season Thread 2018 (now includes pre season games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stan Van Gundy admits he is feeling "lost" after not finding another coaching job since parting ways with Detroit Pistons.

Van Gundy was hoping to coach again but wasn't a candidate this offseason. Van Gundy is still just 58.

"If I could get a job [for next season], I had planned to coach. Now, I really don't know," Van Gundy said. "I'm really lost right now. I don't have an idea. My wife wants me to retire."

Van Gundy said he is considering media opportunities or teaching at the college level.

"I want to do something, but if I'm not coaching, I don't want to work too hard," Van Gundy said. "If I'm going to be grinding, then I want to coach. If I'm not going to be coaching, I want to be semi-retired, at least. I really don't know."

Thought he’d transition into the wall building business

If Ty Corbin can get a gig there's hope for me yet.

Good question.

The original reception hall actually burned down in the recent fires, so there's a good chance the buck's night could be locked in before the actual wedding.

The Bucks have put together a middling roster. Some top end talent, but a few of their rotation have no business being out there.

I'll give you my thoughts about their basketball team tomorrow.

There's a few yes(es) and plenty of no(s).

Like Richmond Tigers FC. Star quality with an average remainder, but as a collective....winrar

The Clippers still think they have a shot :rainbow:

Well they have a slightly better chance now than a month ago.
They never had the trade pieces to get anywhere close to satisfying SA. At least now Kawhi's going to free agency in 12 months. Jerry West isn't the worst guy to be making a push.

Stan Van Gundy admits he is feeling "lost" after not finding another coaching job since parting ways with Detroit Pistons.

Van Gundy was hoping to coach again but wasn't a candidate this offseason. Van Gundy is still just 58.

"If I could get a job [for next season], I had planned to coach. Now, I really don't know," Van Gundy said. "I'm really lost right now. I don't have an idea. My wife wants me to retire."

Van Gundy said he is considering media opportunities or teaching at the college level.

"I want to do something, but if I'm not coaching, I don't want to work too hard," Van Gundy said. "If I'm going to be grinding, then I want to coach. If I'm not going to be coaching, I want to be semi-retired, at least. I really don't know."

Could've sworn i've heard many people in the media say that he himself said Detroit was going to be his last nba coaching gig.

OG-SVG.jpg

Police in Scottsdale confirmed they are investigating an incident that occurred this past weekend at a nightclub.

The incident happened at around 2:30 a.m. Saturday, Scottsdale police spokesman Officer Kevin Watts said.

It was "far too early in the investigation" to confirm what Harden's involvement in the incident was, Watts said.

According to TMZ, a woman said she was at a nightclub in Scottsdale when someone with Harden got into a fight. The woman was recording the scuffle when Harden walked up, grabbed her wrist and phone before throwing her phone onto a roof.

The woman was treated for a wrist injury at an area hospital, TMZ said.

Excellent defence from Jim

Unusual for James
Police in Scottsdale confirmed they are investigating an incident that occurred this past weekend at a nightclub.

The incident happened at around 2:30 a.m. Saturday, Scottsdale police spokesman Officer Kevin Watts said.

It was "far too early in the investigation" to confirm what Harden's involvement in the incident was, Watts said.

According to TMZ, a woman said she was at a nightclub in Scottsdale when someone with Harden got into a fight. The woman was recording the scuffle when Harden walked up, grabbed her wrist and phone before throwing her phone onto a roof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be in New York when the Knicks play the nets, Is watching a game at Madison Square garden worth the experience even if the game won't be that good?

Also have the chance to watch the Nets vs Warriors the night before in Brooklyn.

Seems he couldn't block the shot though.

Well they have a slightly better chance now than a month ago.
They never had the trade pieces to get anywhere close to satisfying SA. At least now Kawhi's going to free agency in 12 months. Jerry West isn't the worst guy to be making a push.
This ain't the same Sterling Clippers. Clips now have the wealthiest individual owner in the league (possibly in all of pro sports over the world), only an idiot would think that the Clips aren't a bona fide destination for quality free agents, especially since it is based in LA a city where 90% of nba players hang around at one time or another during the off season.

The City of Angels has the glamour, climate and lifestyle (talking about millionaire athletes here not a regular joe) that few (if any) podunk bitterly cold north eastern yank cities (milwaukee, minny, detroit, etc..) can come close to offering. The Sterling era is now nothing more than a bad stench. Even jock basketballers realise that the Clips mediocre past (due mainly to a stingy piece of s**t who used the franchise merely as a status symbol and showed little interest in spending the money necessary for a championship team) has little bearing on their future, with a new multi billionaire owner in Ballmer who has made no secret of how badly he wants his team to succeed hence why there are so many insecure Fakers fans constantly talking s**t about the Clips. :D

The one drawback that comes to mind is how they treated a star like Blake but I think eventually that ruthless roster move by Jerry West will be forgotten. Other than that the Clips have so many advantages in attracting quality players over at least 20 of the other franchises in the league. West knows this and it's why he took the gamble he did in getting rid of Blake so quickly after arriving at the Clips. I doubt he makes such a risky move if he was employed by franchises like say the cavs, pacers, wiz, magic, hawks, suns etc.. where the likelihood of convincing good FAs to sign there are close to zero unless they're seriously overpaid which will cripple the franchise in acquiring other good players. Assuming that there's also no superstar on their roster (i.e cavs with lebron), playing for ship contenders are the few exceptions to that rule.

This ain't the same Sterling Clippers. Clips now have the wealthiest individual owner in the league (possibly in all of pro sports over the world), only an idiot would think that the Clips aren't a bona fide destination for quality free agents, especially since it is based in LA a city where 90% of nba players hang around at one time or another during the off season.

The City of Angels has the glamour, climate and lifestyle (talking about millionaire athletes here not a regular joe) that few (if any) podunk bitterly cold north eastern yank cities (milwaukee, minny, detroit, etc..) can come close to offering. The Sterling era is now nothing more than a bad stench. Even jock basketballers realise that the Clips mediocre past (due mainly to a stingy piece of s**t who used the franchise merely as a status symbol and showed little interest in spending the money necessary for a championship team) has little bearing on their future, with a new multi billionaire owner in Ballmer who has made no secret of how badly he wants his team to succeed hence why there are so many insecure Fakers fans constantly talking s**t about the Clips. :D

The one drawback that comes to mind is how they treated a star like Blake but I think eventually that ruthless roster move by Jerry West will be forgotten. Other than that the Clips have so many advantages in attracting quality players over at least 20 of the other franchises in the league. West knows this and it's why he took the gamble he did in getting rid of Blake so quickly after arriving at the Clips. I doubt he makes such a risky move if he was employed by franchises like say the cavs, pacers, wiz, magic, hawks, suns etc.. where the likelihood of convincing good FAs to sign there are close to zero unless they're seriously overpaid which will cripple the franchise in acquiring other good players. Assuming that there's also no superstar on their roster (i.e cavs with lebron), playing for ship contenders are the few exceptions to that rule.

Free agents the Clippers have signed include.....

I dont disagree with your sentiments, but ill believe it when i see it

I will be in New York when the Knicks play the nets, Is watching a game at Madison Square garden worth the experience even if the game won't be that good?

Also have the chance to watch the Nets vs Warriors the night before in Brooklyn.

Being in Madison Square Garden is pretty cool. Ticket prices shouldn't be too bad either.

Nets vs Warriors would be infinitely better though. Just make sure the Warriors aren't on a b2b.

Bit rough. They've only been a respectable team (in terms of ownership) for 4 years and really haven't had any money to lure a big free agent. Next summer will be their first real test.

There's other big market teams in the same boat who havent been able to sign a marquee free agent over the last 10 years

Why would the Clips be any different?

I think you've slightly overreacted to my post.

Look I've always liked the Clips, and had high hopes for the young core in the early 2000's (which came crashing down with Livingstons knees unfortunately). Even pre- Sterling being booted, the last 10years the Clips have had a very different Identity than the 20years prior.
But you also have to acknowledge that the Lob City team hit it's ceiling, and that iteration of the Clips is now clearly done and dusted - largely accelerated by the organisation.
You'd also question how long Doc stays now that they traded away Austin. He's publicly said it was the right decision - but whats his opinion behind closed doors? Was he informed or consulted? Is it curious that it occured in the first offseason he wasnt GM?
The Clips now have the pieces to be an average team - not a whole not more right now, and not a whole lot of young pieces to bank on. While Docs there they can still compete and wont be bottoming out.

But this discussion is about Kawhi.
1. The chances of a Kawhi trade to the clips was close to zero. There were no pieces of interest to the Spurs, and probably very little to interest a 3rd party. Unless somethink miraculous happened he wasnt coming to the Clips this offseason. (Might have more luck trading with Toronto at the deadline)
2. Now he's more than likely going to Free Agency in 12 months. (Toronto will hold a slither of hope they can keep him).
- the Lakers will clearly be the front runner. They are the hollywood team. The have Lebron (who Kawhi was in contact with this offseason - probably one of the few people he communicated with) and they have a young core that, around Lebron, could be succesful over the next few years. The downside is that he will be clearly second fiddle (which he may or may not want), and theres a risk of turmoil this year if the vets don't get along - Kawhi might want no part of that.
For the Clips - you have the city of LA and Jerry West to offer. Thats probably it. Unless you convince another superstar to join Kawhi you arent making playoff noise, let alone contending. You also wont bring the same degree of sponsorship exposure, which I think may be big on the Uncles wishlist. Biggest chance is if he doesnt want to be Lebron sidekick and would rather be big fish/small pond (relatively).
Look, if he goes to FA the Clips are probably second most likely destination- but the distance behind the Lakers is significant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back