Mega Thread The NBA Offseason Thread (22-23 season). NBA Draft, Summer League (Cleveland SL champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a safe place for all vanquished teams/posters to stay and post without judgement. Abuse and threats will not be tolerated.

Naturally all welcome.

To kick things off, although still in the hunt for the Larry O'Brien trophy, everyones second team the OKC Thunder.

IMG_1477.JPG

A bevy, treasure trove of first round picks. To think they still have bean pole Chet Holmgren (pictured on the right) to join the team. They play the undersized Jaylin (not Jaylen) Williams of Arkansas at center currently. To put it into perspective, Josh Giddey (Aussie NBA superstar) leads the team in rebounds at 7.9 a game. But this is understandable given the Thunder organisation have traditionally been a club that drills rebounding into it's Point Guards.

giphy.gif
Russell Westbrook Dancing GIF by NBA

The future is bright (in contrast to thunder storms) for this long team. According to some website they have 1.8% chance of getting the no 1 pick.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

So if you're a Raptor, Pacer, Wizard, Magician, Hornet, Piston, Pelican, Maverick (lol), Jazzian, Trail Blazer, Rocket or Spur, this is your time to shine.

we suck again GIF

Everyone’s 2nd team? Have you come around on their jerseys peternorth

There's surely already a mood board in an office somewhere with ideas to properly launch this new era in a new look.

I am wondering if tanking the play in for a 1% chance at Wembanyama would have been a better option than losing to the Celtics in 5.

Actually not wondering anymore, it would have been the best option :padlock:

When you reluctantly check in to the offseason thread, only to find the entire OP is dedicated to the team that put you there.
Let’s talk Pels. What moves does the legendary David Griffin need to make this off season? Draft another stud 3/D wing late in the draft or do you have enough now
Maybe a big man?
Do we bring back JRich aka rook2 as he was once known as in Miami
What to do with Temple’s team option..

Last edited:
Let’s talk Pels. What moves does the legendary David Griffin need to make this off season?

Not sure how many moves are open to him now tbh. Zion's extension kicks in now, I think we'll be carrying at least $140 mil in salary into next season, even assuming we make the likely cuts. CJ's probably not tradeable for the minute, even if we wanted to. Some in the fanbase are even talking about trading Ingram, just to plug holes elsewhere.

Draft another stud 3/D wing late in the draft or do you have enough now

Can never really have enough, but with Herb and Trey in tow at least that's a start. Problem is Herb and Naji Marshall still don't really space the floor, and Trey still struggles with defence.

Maybe a big man?

We need to figure this part out desperately.

Val is so situational, can be easily exploited defensively and semi-redundant offensively depending on who is on court. Nance is a nice-back up option, especially defensively, but he's oft-injured.

To me, the obvious prototype to play next to Zion was a Myles Turner/Jaren Jackson type, but Griffin seems to have his own ideas.

Do we bring back JRich aka rook2 as he was once known as in Miami

He has been so-so, depends what's out there really, and whether we have other needs with our MLE, which is one our few avenues to add talent.

We need to work out our guard situation as well. I can't see us carrying all of Alvarado, Daniels and Lewis again, with the latter far likeliest to go. But having defacto playmaking guards and forwards is a risky long term proposition, so we might need to bring someone in, since Daniels is far too green offensively to handle backup duties yet.

In which case I could see us using our exception on a guard, even if one could argue we need a wing or big as well.

What to do with Temple’s team option..

Fire it into the sun, along with whoever decided it was a good idea in the first place.

We effectively traded Lonzo and a first round pick for Devonte Graham, Satoransky and Temple. And we had to pay a bunch of second round picks just to get off Graham's contract this year. I was filthy at the time, and I'm even more filthy now. It's just terrible asset management.

Not sure how many moves are open to him now tbh. Zion's extension kicks in now, I think we'll be carrying at least $140 mil in salary into next season, even assuming we make the likely cuts. CJ's probably not tradeable for the minute, even if we wanted to. Some in the fanbase are even talking about trading Ingram, just to plug holes elsewhere.

Can never really have enough, but with Herb and Trey in tow at least that's a start. Problem is Herb and Naji Marshall still don't really space the floor, and Trey still struggles with defence.

Val is so situational, can be easily exploited defensively and semi-redundant offensively depending on who is on court. Nance is a nice-back up option, especially defensively, but he's oft-injured.

To me, the obvious prototype to play next to Zion was a Myles Turner/Jaren Jackson type, but Griffin seems to have his own ideas.

He has been so-so, depends what's out there really, and whether we have other needs with our MLE, which is one our few avenues to add talent.

We need to work out our guard situation as well. I can't see us carrying all of Alvarado, Daniels and Lewis again, with the latter far likeliest to go. But having defacto playmaking guards and forwards is a risky long term proposition, so we might need to bring someone in, since Daniels is far too green offensively to handle backup duties yet.

In which case I could see us using our exception on a guard, even if one could argue we need a wing or big as well.

Fire it into the sun, along with whoever decided it was a good idea in the first place.

We effectively traded Lonzo and a first round pick for Devonte Graham, Satoransky and Temple. And we had to pay a bunch of second round picks just to get off Graham's contract this year. I was filthy at the time, and I'm even more filthy now. It's just terrible asset management.

I would think a big man would be your biggest need, Daniels surely gets more minutes at guard next season
A Center that can space the floor would be ideal
Only team I can think of being interested in CJ would be Miami but that would require taking on Duncan Robinson probably..

Seems like you need to join the Naz Reid sweepstakes.

I would think a big man would be your biggest need, Daniels surely gets more minutes at guard next season
A Center that can space the floor would be ideal
Only team I can think of being interested in CJ would be Miami but that would require taking on Duncan Robinson probably..

Knicks could use a quality shooter off the bench like CJ and could absorb that contract.

Seems like you need to join the Naz Reid sweepstakes.

Think he might end up out of our price range.

Also there's the question of defence, again. I'm surprised how well our defence held up overall considering the number of poor defenders we have, but we still have to be careful. I like him though.

Knicks could use a quality shooter off the bench like CJ and could absorb that contract.

For what though?

There's really not much point in us doing a pure salary dump for Fournier's contract, and even then I don't know the Knicks could add extra ballast to make the numbers work.

Among their core the only ones I could really see them feasibly moving in a deal like this would be Barrett and/or Toppin, neither of whom really do much for us anyway.

Ideally we need to reallocate McCollum's money elsewhere, but free agency is seldom kind to us, hence a salary dump being hardly feasible. And it's pretty unlikely a team both needs McCollum badly enough to trade for him on this contract and also could give us back pieces we can actually use.

Wouldn't even really be a problem if this were Zion's second year, but now he's on big money we can't afford largesse elsewhere.

Mavs fined 750k for their tank job vs chicago.

750k?

750k per game?

Geez Spurs, Pistons etc going be up for stacks.

750k fine should be for putting a s**t squad together every year while wasting Luka.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Florida's Alex Fudge nominates for the draft.

I expect some of your best work here, Look2Me4Guidance . Based on those college numbers, I'm tempted to start here.
Bloody hell mate. Bit to digest here. I’ve already decided to label him “nougat” if he’s a bust.

Let’s keep this pearler for Draft night;

And for then-first-year Florida head coach Todd Golden and his staff, a group that has achieved success in the past by taking an analytic approach to game preparation and management, Fudge presented a perfect opportunity to acquire a player who had the potential to be significantly better than some of his numbers suggested.

Also surely the first time Swamp247 has been used as a source on BigFooty?

Also surely the first time Swamp247 has been used as a source on BigFooty?

We lead the league in broadened horizons.

Interesting that a 39% field goal percentage had him ranked third on the team. Florida's team obviously can't shoot for toffee.

We lead the league in broadened horizons.

Interesting that a 39% field goal percentage had him ranked third on the team. Florida's team obviously can't shoot for toffee.
I noticed that too. Must be tight rims in the Gator house

Austin Reaves is overrated? Um, OK. Lol @ ''The Grizzlies"

Also Jrue voted most underrated and best individual defender :heart:

Oh yes he is, esp by Lakers peanuts at Crypto.com arena every time he takes a free throw, they chant MVP.

James Harden should be on that poll

Oh yes he is, esp by Lakers peanuts at Crypto.com arena every time he takes a free throw, they chant MVP.

James Harden should be on that poll
How could James Harden be considered overrated?

Wasn't even an all-star this year despite leading the league in assists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back