The NBA should be 32 teams

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
30 teams, 16 make the playoffs. Silly. Even sillier when it was 16 from 23. Compare that to the NFL that has 32 teams and 12 make the playoffs. NHL are 31 and 16, MLB 30 and 12 from however their NL/AL system works.

So who makes it 31 and 32? I vote to bring back the Sonics. And I'd like to see another team in Canada. Grizzlies 2.0 (Memphis don't need that name) or Montreal. Strong no to any team in Vegas.

West: Sonics, Blazers, Kings, Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Suns, Vancouver
Central: Jazz, Nuggets, Thunder, Mavs, Rockets, Spurs, TWolves, Pelicans
South East: Heat, Magic, Hawks, Hornets, Grizzlies, 76ers, Wizards, Pacers
North East: Raptors, Bucks, Pistons, Celtics, Nets, Knicks, Cavs, Bulls

East/West split never really works as Minnesota, NOLA, Memphis aren't really West but the numbers need to balance. If you count Midwest then the Central Division all belong in the West.

The obvious ones are Seattle and Tampa, the 2 largest markets that currently don’t have a team. Could also place a team in Baltimore, research into finding out which city is most likely to be into basketball between Tampa and Baltimore.

I don’t really see the need for more teams atm though, I like the current set up

NBA + Vegas is a natural fit. If they can plonk a stadium within walking distance of the strip people will show up, especially when the big market teams are in town. Austin might be another idea for the west.

Since OKC seems to have worked then Kansas City would work too and is east enough to be east.

Mexico City would be bold. Might not be a destination city for the players though although I'd like to see the headline 'player signs first ever 4 billion peso contract'

Seattle is a definite, they were promised one when the Sonics left 10-15 years ago. I'd like the 32rd team come from St. Louis, Kansas City or perhaps a second Canadian team, either Vancouver, Ottawa or Montreal. Anywhere but Las Vegas.

Mexico city would be fascinating, I wonder how practical though.
It'd be a garenteed success financially however big name players would stay clear, however that could result in a very workman like team similar to pistons of past.

Vegas will work, new York and Florida could support another team population wise.
Seattle is obvious.
I don't think another Canadian team will work, only place could be Vancouver.

Buy in for a new franchise would be like 4 billion dollars. Not sure any Canadian could afford that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back