Opinion The NBA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

out gunned, over matched... no one on the spurs can guard kyrie.. Green cannot do the job. its the one series i would back Kyrie to get Finals MVP.. I just dont see how the cavs are a favourable match up for them. I remember we had this disagreement last year and never got to see it unfold, did you actually think the OKC was gonna beat the spurs last season? impressive if so.. Not sure how their form line was better than the cavs who only dropped 2 games up to the finals and actually closed the deal on the warriors series

Spurs are about team defence. Though Green would be the guy I'd keep in front of Kyrie. Very good laterally and has the length to bother Kyrie. If Kyrie can get past Green then the bigs are there to protect the rim.

I don't like the matchup for the Cavs.

There was a lot of commentary in the media saying that the Spurs needed to avoid OKC at all costs and that Golden State and Cleveland were less scary opponents for them.

Of those big time teams, the only real surprise was the Cavs winning the playoffs v Golden State, though in the end that proved circumstantial with Green suspended for the game then injuries piling up with Steph playing hurt and Bogut.

Otherwise I didn't see OKC pushing the Warriors as much as they did. Golden State given their historic season I assumed would have had a much easier time dealing with OKC.

Overall the dynamic in last years playoffs I viewed as:
OKC - hardest matchup = Cleveland
GSW - hardest matchup = SAS (though still winning the series)
SAS - hardest matchup = OKC
CLE - hardest matchup = SAS

with the vast majority of the rest of the league finding GSW the hardest. That's just how I saw the matchups/styles working for playoff b-ball.

It's all history anyway.

Spurs are about team defence. Though Green would be the guy I'd keep in front of Kyrie. Very good laterally and has the length to bother Kyrie. If Kyrie can get past Green then the bigs are there to protect the rim.

I don't like the matchup for the Cavs.

There was a lot of commentary in the media saying that the Spurs needed to avoid OKC at all costs and that Golden State and Cleveland were less scary opponents for them.

Of those big time teams, the only real surprise was the Cavs winning the playoffs v Golden State, though in the end that proved circumstantial with Green suspended for the game then injuries piling up with Steph playing hurt and Bogut.

Otherwise I didn't see OKC pushing the Warriors as much as they did. Golden State given their historic season I assumed would have had a much easier time dealing with OKC.

Overall the dynamic in last years playoffs I viewed as:
OKC - hardest matchup = Cleveland
GSW - hardest matchup = SAS (though still winning the series)
SAS - hardest matchup = OKC
CLE - hardest matchup = SAS

with the vast majority of the rest of the league finding GSW the hardest. That's just how I saw the matchups/styles working for playoff b-ball.

It's all history anyway.
hmm... i just don't agree to be honest. In my opinion the Warriors were the worst match up for the cavs last year and still are

What do you think of the Cousins Trade Knightmare?

Terrible for Chicago :D
The Bulls are relying on Sacramento getting a pick outside the top 10, with Cousins gone Sacramento don't have enough left to win with, so that's not happening now.

On Sacramento and New Orleans. I can't help but think that despite the commentary that it may end up being bad for both teams.

New Orleans are rolling the dice going with Cousins. New Orleans while AD may be the best player in the NBA, the team culture is as poor as Sacramento, so Cousins won't be playing any less unselfishly I'm not expecting. In terms of getting wins. It's going to be a struggle. Cousins is a clear talent upgrade but with two front line stars and nothing else, teams will pack the paint and keep multiple bodies in front of AD and Cousins which will make scoring very difficult. The most major concern is Cousins has voiced that he will no sign with any teams he is traded to. So that's a big risk giving up Buddy Hield who is excellent and a first round pick for someone who may not even sign. If Cousins walks then New Orleans are in trouble. Alternatively if he stays, Cousins and AD is a great duo to build around if the appropriate complimentary pieces can be added.

For Sacramento they've given up a star who was going to sign with them. It's a definite talent downgrade and hurts their winning chances greatly. It's only a good trade for Sacramento in the long run if Cousins doesn't contribute to winning in the future and Hield continues to develop and they find someone with their pick (which with Sacramento's strike rate is unlikely).

It's a real wait and see situation with the nature of the trade.

These blockbuster trades are great for debate/discussion though.

Celtics number 1 seed for east and a high chance at getting the number 1 overall pick! Surely big things are coming for this team!

Chicago first up.

How did they get a Possible Pick 1?

They have the nets first round pick from previous years trades that they did, and the nets have finished last overall

Could Brooklyn get any shitt3r?

Celtics number 1 seed for east and a high chance at getting the number 1 overall pick! Surely big things are coming for this team!

Chicago first up.

Option 1:
Trade the pick + other assets for established star (George, Butler, etc)
Keep Isaiah as starting PG

Option 2:
Draft Fultz/Ball
Trade Isaiah

Option 3:
Draft Josh Jackson
Keep isaiah as starting PG

Option 4 (IMO the worst but most likely):
Draft Fultz/Ball
Keep Isaiah

If I was Boston I would bite the bullet and go with option 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta be happy as a Jazz man, 51 season wins with so many injuries to key personnel all year, and closed out the series in game 7 at LAC.

Masterful off season by Dennis Lindsey bringing in Hill, Johnson and Diaw, and brilliant coaching from Quin Snyder all season.

Option 1:
Trade the pick + other assets for established star (George, Butler, etc)
Keep Isaiah as starting PG

Option 2:
Draft Fultz/Ball
Trade Isaiah

Option 3:
Draft Josh Jackson
Keep isaiah as starting PG

Option 4 (IMO the worst but most likely):
Draft Fultz/Ball
Keep Isaiah

If I was Boston I would bite the bullet and go with option 2.

What would Boston get for IT?

Spurs very unlucky today, some dodgy refs

See if Philly would be interested, they need a point guard

I wouldn't say no.

However, I have a friend who's a Celtics fans and we were talking about the idea of trading IT if they get the #1 pick and bring Fultz in, so curious to see what you think they could get in a trade for him.

Boston are in an awesome situation.

They are likely to draft Fultz and may even be able to sign a Gordon Hayward as a free agent, to compliment their existing roster.

So many options Boston have. Some trades are sure to happen next season.

--
As for the Bulls, being in offseason mode.

I favour keeping the crew together. Butler can still learn more off of Wade, as can the younger players. Then have Wade coming off the bench as the 6th man. Rondo and Mirotic I'd retain as starters.

Through the draft Justin Patton (1st round), Jonathan Jeanne (2nd round) and Frank Mason III (2nd round) are my draft picks. Bulls would need to acquire another second round pick to get the two second rounders, but I'd be paying to make it happen.

Centers through free agency cost too much, so I'd go the draft route. Leave Jeanne in Europe for a year or two to develop - his length is Rudy Gobert-like. Have Patton as a backup Center behind Lopez and let him develop, and with his game being so versatile - stretching the floor out to the 3 at a high %, having some post moves, finishing around the rim and defending well both on the perimeter and around the rim, while I don't normally like freshmen, he is one of the rare freshmen outside of the top few I really like. Mason III can be a backup point guard and something like the Bulls next Aaron Brooks/Nate Robinson/midget backup point guard. Mason III can ball and will be one of this years draft bargains. Has a lot of Isaiah Thomas to him offensively but much better on the defensive end. He's comparable to Aaron Brooks and may be a slightly better version, which is plenty good for a bargain basement second rounder.

With Porzingis missing exit meetings with Phil Jackson at the end of the season, in frustration about the teams player development and the media hysteria surrounding the team.

It would be interested to see who says no first in a Porzingis to Boston for pick one deal.

Boston don't need a point guard, having Thomas already. So Porzingis alongside Horford up front seems a most suitable roster fit.

New York need a point guard, and depending on their evaluation of Fultz or Ball and whether they think they can please Porzingis and have him sign on long term. Maybe they go for it.

I wouldn't say no.

I noticed you're a 76ers fan, there has been a bit of talk about you guys going after Lowry, you a fan of that move? Whilst I think he would be great for you guys and has several good years in him, you'd probably want someone a bit younger to grow with the team, and be in their prime when the team is absolutely peaking.

I noticed you're a 76ers fan, there has been a bit of talk about you guys going after Lowry, you a fan of that move? Whilst I think he would be great for you guys and has several good years in him, you'd probably want someone a bit younger to grow with the team, and be in their prime when the team is absolutely peaking.

IF we take Josh Jackson, then I am all for us bringing in a point guard through FA.

However, Lowry isn't the one I would go after, I'd actually try and get Jrue Holiday back to Philly.

He's not better, but he's younger and he's going to come a fair bit cheaper, was unhappy when we traded him (though it was for the best) and would love to see him back.

Another option for Philly is Patty Mills, who'd be even cheaper than Jrue. I love Lowry as a player, but his age may see us looking elsewhere, have also heard we're right into JJ Redick too, which I wouldn't mind, even if he's older than Lowry but we need a shooter like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back