Opinion The NBA Thread

Don't know if we have one, but I've noticed a few posters around who seem to talk a little ball and thought it would be good fun to have a thread dedicated to it.

Personally can't wait for the season to start.. So many questions to be answered:

• Can my man D. Rose get up to his best again?
  • Will the Cavs be the unstoppable force they're threatening to be?
  • What can the Pacers do without George and Stevenson?
  • Bolters from outside playoffs and dark horses
  • Spurs back to back?
  • Is Tim Duncan human?
  • Kobe's value to LA

Gotta get my league pass sorted ASAP!

The Cavs will be pretty strong but I doubt they'll win the title this year.

I don't even think they'll top the east.. that spot belongs to my bulls. Nobody there to play D except for LeBron.

Whom do you support CasuallyDressed ?

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MUFC,BristolR, GB,Duke,LAA,NYK
Cleveland will top the East, i expect Rose to go down again.
Hopefully my Knicks can make the playoffs and play some exciting ball with a new coach and system and a fitter Melo. Its all about 2015-2016 though so play well and then clear house and sign some big names.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
Don't know if we have one, but I've noticed a few posters around who seem to talk a little ball and thought it would be good fun to have a thread dedicated to it.

Personally can't wait for the season to start.. So many questions to be answered:

• Can my man D. Rose get up to his best again?
  • Will the Cavs be the unstoppable force they're threatening to be?
  • What can the Pacers do without George and Stevenson?
  • Bolters from outside playoffs and dark horses
  • Spurs back to back?
  • Is Tim Duncan human?
  • Kobe's value to LA

Gotta get my league pass sorted ASAP!

Hot tip..... use a proxy and buy league pass pretending you're in a country like India. I got my league pass for $150 last year!! ;)

#CLIPS4WESTCONF

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
My Clips have had some seriously bad losses so far.... Thinking the lack of a SF could ruin what looked to be a potentially championship winning year.
Silver lining is that our boy Ingles might get more of a run than first thought.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
One thing little noted about the Cavs is the terrible durability of Love and Irving.

Irving: 51, 59, 71 games.
Love: 81, 60, 73, 55, 18 and 77 games.

Given this I would be shocked to see the Cavs get the best record in the NBA.

I also really don't like the Cavs' defense. LeBron last year wasn't the same defender as he has been throughout his career and Irving and Love are both poor defenders. Varajao and Thompson are not great rim defenders either. They just seem a few stoppers short of being that definite champion this year. Though I have no doubt they'll eventually win a championship. I'm just not yet completely convinced on their balance.

--
As a roster this year I most like biased as I'll sound as a Bulls fan like they've got the best and most balanced setup. I'd back either the Bulls or Spurs for the best record as the teams who typically (or in the case of when the Bulls have Rose healthy) have the best record.
The Bulls as good as the roster is at least through the preseason seem sluggish and not performing to the level they need to which is my primary concern there. Rose hardly looks like the same dominant player he was and until he does the Bulls probably don't win a championship either, bigtime as the additions of Gasol, McDermott, Mirotic and Brooks all are.

--
The Spurs are the moment look primed for another run and the Thunder are also well positioned. The Mavericks are better and will be in the mix. Outside of those five teams it's hard to see anyone else in the mix to win the championship.

--
Other than the Cavs from an improvement standpoint I also really like the Hornets and I expect they finish top 4/5 in the West. With Asik and those perimeter guys finally healthy they will be much better. Anthony Davis has the chance to have a near MVP season so they'll while they won't contend be much better than they were and a big riser this season.

--
I'm also really enjoying the list strategy of Philli. Trading to get N.Noel, then picking Embiid this year, trading Payton to get Dario Saric as an international guy. It's the most blatant tanking strategy from a list management perspective ever seen in professional sports intentionally trading their good players and loading up on talents who will either player overseas or sit out the season injured. This way they'll continue to get among the top picks and eventually once they've collected enough they'll all out go for it and try to rise up in a hurry.

In an AFL sense this type of list strategy wouldn't work, but in the NBA as a 5 man on the court game and with the impact of those rookies more meaningful to winning, particularly if they're star talents, I don't mind it given the aggression behind the intent of what they do.
--
I've also really enjoyed what the Rockets tried - albeit failed to do this offseason. Make Parsons a free agent to attract Bosh (who in theory should have signed) and then add Parsons on top of that top make a terrifically dominant big 4. Those guys thing bold and really accumulate their young assets but they pick the eyes out of the draft and I enjoy the boldness of their moves.

--
My pick for rookie of the year against the grain as it is, I'm going with Elfrid Payton. He is a terrific PG.

--
For most improved watch for Rudy Gobert from the Utah Jazz. While he has zero offensive game he is a longer again Tyson Chandler as a big time rebounder and block shot who around the rim will get the putback dunks and do the dirty work. He can really breakout and if I was running the Jazz I'd be starting him. Really like his game.
--
For 6th man last year it should have been Taj Gibson so I'll have to back him in this season. Noah has had his injury issues during the offseason and Gasol is aging so he should get starter minutes off the bench. Scorers are typically the winners of this award but Gibson should off the bench be the most impactful to winning as he was last year.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
One thing little noted about the Cavs is the terrible durability of Love and Irving.

Irving: 51, 59, 71 games.
Love: 81, 60, 73, 55, 18 and 77 games.

Given this I would be shocked to see the Cavs get the best record in the NBA.

I also really don't like the Cavs' defense. LeBron last year wasn't the same defender as he has been throughout his career and Irving and Love are both poor defenders. Varajao and Thompson are not great rim defenders either. They just seem a few stoppers short of being that definite champion this year. Though I have no doubt they'll eventually win a championship. I'm just not yet completely convinced on their balance.

--
As a roster this year I most like biased as I'll sound as a Bulls fan like they've got the best and most balanced setup. I'd back either the Bulls or Spurs for the best record as the teams who typically (or in the case of when the Bulls have Rose healthy) have the best record.
The Bulls as good as the roster is at least through the preseason seem sluggish and not performing to the level they need to which is my primary concern there. Rose hardly looks like the same dominant player he was and until he does the Bulls probably don't win a championship either, bigtime as the additions of Gasol, McDermott, Mirotic and Brooks all are.

--
The Spurs are the moment look primed for another run and the Thunder are also well positioned. The Mavericks are better and will be in the mix. Outside of those five teams it's hard to see anyone else in the mix to win the championship.

--
Other than the Cavs from an improvement standpoint I also really like the Hornets and I expect they finish top 4/5 in the West. With Asik and those perimeter guys finally healthy they will be much better. Anthony Davis has the chance to have a near MVP season so they'll while they won't contend be much better than they were and a big riser this season.

--
I'm also really enjoying the list strategy of Philli. Trading to get N.Noel, then picking Embiid this year, trading Payton to get Dario Saric as an international guy. It's the most blatant tanking strategy from a list management perspective ever seen in professional sports intentionally trading their good players and loading up on talents who will either player overseas or sit out the season injured. This way they'll continue to get among the top picks and eventually once they've collected enough they'll all out go for it and try to rise up in a hurry.

In an AFL sense this type of list strategy wouldn't work, but in the NBA as a 5 man on the court game and with the impact of those rookies more meaningful to winning, particularly if they're star talents, I don't mind it given the aggression behind the intent of what they do.
--
I've also really enjoyed what the Rockets tried - albeit failed to do this offseason. Make Parsons a free agent to attract Bosh (who in theory should have signed) and then add Parsons on top of that top make a terrifically dominant big 4. Those guys thing bold and really accumulate their young assets but they pick the eyes out of the draft and I enjoy the boldness of their moves.

--
My pick for rookie of the year against the grain as it is, I'm going with Elfrid Payton. He is a terrific PG.

--
For most improved watch for Rudy Gobert from the Utah Jazz. While he has zero offensive game he is a longer again Tyson Chandler as a big time rebounder and block shot who around the rim will get the putback dunks and do the dirty work. He can really breakout and if I was running the Jazz I'd be starting him. Really like his game.
--
For 6th man last year it should have been Taj Gibson so I'll have to back him in this season. Noah has had his injury issues during the offseason and Gasol is aging so he should get starter minutes off the bench. Scorers are typically the winners of this award but Gibson should off the bench be the most impactful to winning as he was last year.

Your bias is definitely showing re Bulls.
They might finish on top in the East but they'll still be behind at least 3 teams in the west for games won.

I'll just leave this here;

hi-res-deba814a1e7752110473b9c98b895193_crop_north.jpg

#GoSpursGo

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Your bias is definitely showing re Bulls.
They might finish on top in the East but they'll still be behind at least 3 teams in the west for games won.

Keep in my re. the Bulls.

Chicago in 2011 had the best record in the NBA (62/20) and equal best with the Spurs in 2012 (50-16). Then since they haven't had Rose to be in that mix. And the roster is better now than it was then.
Starting Keith Bogans in 2011. Seriously? You get the picture..

With the best record it's a Tom Thibodeau thing. The Bulls won't take a night off and frankly unless Rose gets injured again I don't see how they don't get the best record in the NBA other than perhaps if the Spurs just pip them at the finish.

It's more from a Bulls perspective the playoffs is the hurdle with the Bulls playing playoff ball year long and other teams lifting and finding that next level of effort during the playoffs. That's more where my concern is as a team whereby until they get over that hump they haven't.

I'm really hoping for a Bulls v Spurs finals. Seeing those two teams, with the sheer depth and balance across the court. For me that would be fun with the Spurs a ball movement and outside shooting masterclass and the Bulls the ultimate defensive team with great size and a bench every bit a strong as the Spurs.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Keep in my re. the Bulls.

Chicago in 2011 had the best record in the NBA (62/20) and equal best with the Spurs in 2012 (50-16). Then since they haven't had Rose to be in that mix. And the roster is better now than it was then.
Starting Keith Bogans in 2011. Seriously? You get the picture..

With the best record it's a Tom Thibodeau thing. The Bulls won't take a night off and frankly unless Rose gets injured again I don't see how they don't get the best record in the NBA other than perhaps if the Spurs just pip them at the finish.

It's more from a Bulls perspective the playoffs is the hurdle with the Bulls playing playoff ball year long and other teams lifting and finding that next level of effort during the playoffs. That's more where my concern is as a team whereby until they get over that hump they haven't.

I'm really hoping for a Bulls v Spurs finals. Seeing those two teams, with the sheer depth and balance across the court. For me that would be fun with the Spurs a ball movement and outside shooting masterclass and the Bulls the ultimate defensive team with great size and a bench every bit a strong as the Spurs.

Time will tell I guess.
Actually, now thinking about it, the Durant injury and the very weak eastern conference may have opened the door to finish higher than they should.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Time will tell I guess.
Actually, now thinking about it, the Durant injury and the very weak eastern conference may have opened the door to finish higher than they should.

In the East outside of the Cavs and Bulls.

I see the Wizards being competitive and that probable three seed. Otherwise any other team who want to be competitive will need to add talent to their existing rosters to have a shot at winning the East. Maybe Toronto or Charlotte finish with the four seed but neither team are overly frightening.

I think you're thinking about Paul George who is out for the season in the East - that has really tipped the balance of power out East with Lance Stephenson joining Charlotte.

Durant did get injured but he is Western Conference (OKC Thunder) but he is hardly out for the season like George is.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
In the East outside of the Cavs and Bulls.

I see the Wizards being competitive and that probable three seed. Otherwise any other team who want to be competitive will need to add talent to their existing rosters to have a shot at winning the East. Maybe Toronto or Charlotte finish with the four seed but neither team are overly frightening.

I think you're thinking about Paul George who is out for the season in the East - that has really tipped the balance of power out East with Lance Stephenson joining Charlotte.

Durant did get injured but he is Western Conference (OKC Thunder) but he is hardly out for the season like George is.

Nah what I was saying was from an overall game wins perspective (in both conferences), the Durant injury might mean you leap frog the Thunder which I wouldn't have had happening if Durant had stayed healthy.

My thoughts (and we can check this at the end of the season for the lolz)

1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Bulls
4. Cavs
5. Warriors
6. Clippers
7. Grizzlies
8. Wizards
9. Mavericks
10. Raptors

Warriors could really surprise in the West this year.... They still lack in the front court but have added good depth and only really need the splash brothers to improve a little bit to make a real impact in the playoffs.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Nah what I was saying was from an overall game wins perspective (in both conferences), the Durant injury might mean you leap frog the Thunder which I wouldn't have had happening if Durant had stayed healthy.

My thoughts (and we can check this at the end of the season for the lolz)

1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Bulls
4. Cavs
5. Warriors
6. Clippers
7. Grizzlies
8. Wizards
9. Mavericks
10. Raptors

Warriors could really surprise in the West this year.... They still lack in the front court but have added good depth and only really need the splash brothers to improve a little bit to make a real impact in the playoffs.

I'll go with a best record of if you're also after a top 10:
1. Bulls
2. Spurs
3. Cavs
4. Clippers
5. Mavericks
6. Thunder
7. Pelicans
8. Wizards
9. Nuggets
10. Trail Blazers

I'll also go with:

Eastern Finals
Bulls v Cavs

Western Finals
Spurs v Mavericks

Finals:
Bulls v Spurs

Champions
Bulls (assuming Rose remains healthy).

I've never felt good about my Bulls going all the way, but in the 2010 Collingwood way I like them this year. The additions just feel right. And if Noah, Rose and Gasol stay healthy, Butler continues to improve as looks to be the case this preseason and the new guys come on as the season progresses. They Bulls are tip.

I'll just leave this here;

hi-res-deba814a1e7752110473b9c98b895193_crop_north.jpg

#GoSpursGo

Damn. Spurs fans are becoming just as arrogant as Hawthorn fans :p

I support the Lakers (No bandwagon, I swear) We have some good kids in Clarkson and Randle. Kobe is playing some good ball and if Nick Young can get back form injury early he'll have another excellent season. Our bench was one of the best last season. Expect that to happen again.

All that being said, we suck. Our choice of coach was absolutely horrible. The fact that we hired D'antoni over Phil was horrible and it still hurts. We have no defensive mind and we turnover the ball way too much.

If we can play at the very least some D and stay away form injuries we might, just might have a faint chance of sneaking into the playoffs. We'll probably finish around 11th.

The Cavs won't go all the way. Too much chemistry to get right and so much room for error.

Dallas will surprise many. Don't think they will go past the WCF though, if they even make it that far.

Clippers are lacking something. They can't seem to make it past the 2nd round. They need a game changer.

My three choices for the team to win the title are: Bulls, Thunder and Spurs.

Spurs: Stay away from injuries will do very well.

Thunder: If KD can return back to his best, he'll lead the Thunder very deep into the playoffs.

Bulls: All depends on Rose.

My Tip:Bulls to beat the Spurs in 6 games.

aussielondon

Senior List
Sep 13, 2014
United Kingdom
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United F.C.
Oh I know I haven't contributed much to the chat on here.. my pick is the Cavs for the title in 2015.

But this is a full version I found on youtube with full US NBC commentary and no ads for Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals... epic... I suggest using a youtube video converter to save this to your hard drive as they will likely take it down soon with the whole copyright stuff and all.

Oh I know I haven't contributed much to the chat on here.. my pick is the Cavs for the title in 2015.

But this is a full version I found on youtube with full US NBC commentary and no ads for Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals... epic... I suggest using a youtube video converter to save this to your hard drive as they will likely take it down soon with the whole copyright stuff and all.

Push off.

shizzle

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's a couple of clips our very own Dante Exum in his last two preseason games, good to see him finding his feet after copping it from some in the US media after his first pre season game.

One of the things I cannot fathom about America is that respected journalists/commentators, are willing to write off a player as being a bust, and not going to make it, on the back of 1 pre season game.

I love the fact out here in Australia, rookies are given time to prove their worth rather than expected to dominate right from the get go.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
After watching our game today against the Bucks i am no longer motivated.
Seriously they bang on about this triangle system being implemented and getting players who can play the system and yet nothing has changed.
Still cant play defence and still chucking up 3's.

Only preseason.... Look at the West... Clips, Spurs, Thunder positions 13, 14 and 15.

Back