General Bombers Talk The NEC Hangar

Remove this Banner Ad

Four light towers installed on the "community training oval" (Etihad sized ground), making it possible for the VFL & VFLW teams to train at Tulla properly. I didn't realise they couldn't before, but it makes sense if they're training in the evening and want to do so outdoors/can't use the indoor facilities that they wouldn't be able to do it at Tullamarine?

With the boundary fence and scoreboard I'm guessing that paves the way for hosting VFL/VFLW games at some point and being able to charge entry if we want to.

Essendon is one step closer to completing a major upgrade of its training facilities at The Hangar following the installation of four light towers on the facility’s community training oval.

After a 12-month construction process that included consultation with Melbourne airport and external contractors, the 33-metre tall light towers were successfully tested last week and will be tested again next week with AFL Head of Football Operations & Compliance Matt O’Hanlon and VFL Football Operations Manager Ash Brown in attendance.

According to Essendon’s General Manager of Corporate Services Chris Pehlivanis, the light towers on the community training oval will benefit not only the Bombers’ men’s and women’s VFL teams but the James Hird Academy junior development program and the local community programs who use the field.

“We can have all our squads training at this elite facility, which was always our vision,” says Pehlivanis.

“It’s going to be a massive benefit. Our VFL squads, who are currently training at RMIT and different venues across Victoria, they’ll have a permanent home here at the Hangar, which is a great result.

The light towers stand metres beyond the boundary line of the forward pockets and are equipped with three adjustable settings.

“We’ll be able to operate them at 100, 200 and 300 lux, which effectively means that if it’s training or match simulation, you can use different lighting,” says Pehlivanis.

The ongoing development of the training facilities will see the construction of a boundary fence and a scoreboard.

The Essendon Football Club would like to express its gratitude to the members and donors who have been involved in the ongoing development of the training facilities at Tullamarine.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-10-16/light-towers-installed

Also found a reference to it in the Melbourne Airport planning approvals;
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au...-2018_18-01-2018.pdf.aspx?lang=en-AU&ext=.pdf

So definitely the Etihad sized ground. Never heard it called the "community training oval" before :think:
Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 12.12.00 am.png

Four light towers installed on the "community training oval" (Etihad sized ground), making it possible for the VFL & VFLW teams to train at Tulla properly. I didn't realise they couldn't before, but it makes sense if they're training in the evening and want to do so outdoors/can't use the indoor facilities that they wouldn't be able to do it at Tullamarine?

With the boundary fence and scoreboard I'm guessing that paves the way for hosting VFL/VFLW games at some point and being able to charge entry if we want to.

https://www.melbourneairport.com.au...-2018_18-01-2018.pdf.aspx?lang=en-AU&ext=.pdf

So definitely the Etihad sized ground. Never heard it called the "community training oval" before :think:
View attachment 574833

If it’s for the community, particularly women, it makes it significantly easier to get government funding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enthused at all about games being held out at Tulla - keep them at Windy Hill.

Great from a training flexibility perspective.
This. WH is our traditional home.

Not enthused at all about games being held out at Tulla - keep them at Windy Hill.

Great from a training flexibility perspective.
Where does it say there will be VFL games held at Tulla?

Where does it say there will be VFL games held at Tulla?
It doesn’t, I was responding more to Lore’s suggestion that it could pave the way for it.

This. WH is our traditional home.
Not worried about that so much, although I do like that we maintain some connection to WH. It’s more that Tulla is in the boondocks and is terrible for public transport, and WH isn’t.

It doesn’t, I was responding more to Lore’s suggestion that it could pave the way for it.
Cool. I thought I had missed a previous announcement or something. I think that with the grandstands and on site facilities at WH, most games will continue to be played there.

Not worried about that so much, although I do like that we maintain some connection to WH. It’s more that Tulla is in the boondocks and is terrible for public transport, and WH isn’t.
Can't drive there either, you'd come back to the carpark to find your car on blocks or not there at all

Cool. I thought I had missed a previous announcement or something. I think that with the grandstands and on site facilities at WH, most games will continue to be played there.
I think they were hoping AFLW? games would be played at Tulla at some point once it’s all been sorted out. May well have been in our AFLW bid or something like that. Once the facilities are there though anything could happen.

I think they were hoping AFLW? games would be played at Tulla at some point once it’s all been sorted out. May well have been in our AFLW bid or something like that. Once the facilities are there though anything could happen.
There will be serious parking issues. Sometimes you can't even get a park there when training is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 574833

Melbourne Airport not Tullamarine.

Stage 2 development of The Hangar has just been announced to members! From the member email;

-quote-
  • 4 x VFL standard unisex change rooms - to be shared across our VFL men’s and women’s teams, Essendon District Football League, Riddell District Football League and community clubs;
  • New atrium reception and café – to create a new grand entrance and glass atrium reception space and an expanded café offering for facility users and the public to enjoy;
  • Interactive fan zone - to showcase EFC’s extensive heritage collection, Paralympics Australia memorabilia and the Australian Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Sports Hall of Fame through the use of digital technologies and displays;
  • 34 bed dormitory accommodation - for National sporting camps for our Australian Paralympians (20 of the beds will be wheelchair accessible), immersive camps for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people from our remote communities in the Tiwi Islands, West Arnhem and local indigenous communities and other activities relating to our Next Generation Academy;
  • Function centre – to host EFC, local community and corporate events and deliver community programs;
  • Education centre and gathering place - for EFC, The Long Walk and community partners to deliver their education programs and for the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander community to gather. It will also provide a space for satellite health service delivery for communities across the North-West corridor of Melbourne
  • Esports high performance centre for our Bombers team and Sports accelerator space where we can house starts up related to the sports entertainment or performance industry for short periods of time to access the Club’s IP, resources and staff and players to test and develop their products.
-end quote-

Got a CGI flyover video thing at this link too; http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2019-02-08/stage-two-expansion-of-the-hangar

Probably connected to the funding that Paralympics Australia received, which was announced two days ago (they share our facilities, for those who don't know, hence the above expansion having wheelchair access etc.)
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-06/paralympics-australia-the-hangar-receive-boost

Remove this Banner Ad

Back