Streaming The Netflix Thread

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I get Netflix for occassional one month blocks at a time depending on what’s happening in my life and which of my old favourite shows are about to release a season .

I have binged all of Never Have I Ever Season 4 over the last couple of nights and loved it
I have also finally watched the Harry & Meghan documentary and liked that too

I get Netflix for occassional one month blocks at a time depending on what’s happening in my life and which of my old favourite shows are about to release a season .

I have binged all of Never Have I Ever Season 4 over the last couple of nights and loved it
I have also finally watched the Harry & Meghan documentary and liked that too
Season 4 was great as well, it's such a heart-warming show.

Season 4 was great as well, it's such a heart-warming show.
It really is. Loose ends wrapped up nicely and couldn’t have been a more fitting finale.

Another car restoration show has dropped called Tex Mex Motors, which is enjoyable for those who like this kind of show. It's not heavy on showing the cars being rebuilt, but more reality TV oriented about the personalities with a big focus on the guys getting the cars from often dodgy people in Mexico. And some parts, like where they sell the finished cars, as usual for this kind of show, were obviously staged. But they do some good work. The custom restorations are not over-the-top monstrosities, and you can see the quality of the work.

Isn't Netflix operating in the negatives? Something about how the business model isn't sustainable. That's why they are cracking down on password sharing. Subsequently it has been rolled out in America and there's been an increase in subscriptions..

Finished Fubar. It was fun enough. Did feel a little dragged out, implausible escapes from the villain to set up new side quests and push it out to eight episodes. Could have worked better as a movie but then it would have been seen as a sub-par True Lies and the side characters wouldn't have been given as much to work with, and they provided some of the fun. Probably just a 6/10, but add a point if you grew up on Arnie films because the nostalgia makes it enjoyable.

Another car restoration show has dropped called Tex Mex Motors, which is enjoyable for those who like this kind of show. It's not heavy on showing the cars being rebuilt, but more reality TV oriented about the personalities with a big focus on the guys getting the cars from often dodgy people in Mexico. And some parts, like where they sell the finished cars, as usual for this kind of show, were obviously staged. But they do some good work. The custom restorations are not over-the-top monstrosities, and you can see the quality of the work.
Will definitely check this out, right up my alley.

Still thought there was another season to come on Rust Valley Restorers but I haven't seen anything in ages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the fact that shows from other countries and languages are starting to become the norm, goes to show the vast range of shows that can be produced from all over the world.
But always watch the show in the native language, dubbing can never give the show justice.

I like the fact that shows from other countries and languages are starting to become the norm, goes to show the vast range of shows that can be produced from all over the world.
But always watch the show in the native language, dubbing can never give the show justice.
You had me until the dubbing bit. That's just bullshit. If it's done well it's perfectly fine. If I want to read a book I'll read a book. I'm not going to sit there reading text whilst missing the actors' expressions and body language and you know.. acting.

You had me until the dubbing bit. That's just bullshit. If it's done well it's perfectly fine. If I want to read a book I'll read a book. I'm not going to sit there reading text whilst missing the actors' expressions and body language and you know.. acting.
It's a tricky one; The dubbing usually looks so out of place that it makes a show not enjoyable, like when there's a delay in the stream. I watched Squid Game with subtitles and they are up long enough you have time to see the expressions, body language etc and still read the subtitles.

My wife likes to put subtitles on for English speaking shows so she doesn't miss any of the mumbling. Now that I hate because you often end up reading ahead and spoiling the joke twist before the character says it.

There's inflections and tone that dubbing just cannot replicate. I also find it difficult to watch shows/movies where sound is recorded in a studio in post production.
Also, I have seen shows from India where I know the actors previous works in Hindi, and then when I try to watch the English dub, the change in voice doesn't work well, and you think "that's not how the actor would say that".

There's inflections and tone that dubbing just cannot replicate. I also find it difficult to watch shows/movies where sound is recorded in a studio in post production.
Also, I have seen shows from India where I know the actors previous works in Hindi, and then when I try to watch the English dub, the change in voice doesn't work well, and you think "that's not how the actor would say that".
Well that's obviously something specific to you since you know Hindi. I don't so I don't care about speech inflections and tone in a language I don't understand anyway. I'd rather watch universal body language and facial expressions.

As I said, if it's done well it's fine. Obviously it's crap if done poorly. If it's done well you almost can't even tell unless you're concentrating on their mouths not matching exactly. To say dubbing can never give the show justice is just not true.

Well that's obviously something specific to you since you know Hindi. I don't so I don't care about speech inflections and tone in a language I don't understand anyway. I'd rather watch universal body language and facial expressions.

As I said, if it's done well it's fine. Obviously it's crap if done poorly. If it's done well you almost can't even tell unless you're concentrating on their mouths not matching exactly. To say dubbing can never give the show justice is just not true.
These are two seperate points.

The inflections and tone is evident in shows like Casa de Papel or Squid Game, or The Exchange. Languages I don’t know. It’s harder to convey emotion when audio is recorded in post production

Whilst the issue with watching something like Sacred Games is because I know these actors don’t sound like the audio that’s coming out. And having met half the cast of the show it furthers the point. It sounds unnatural

Last edited:
These are two seperate points.

The inflections and tone is evident in shows like Casa de Papel or Squid Game, or The Exchange. Languages I don’t know.
Well that's not an issue for me. The sound of the speech tends to follow the physical acting if it's done well.

Whilst the issue with watching something like Sacred Games is because I know these actors don’t sound like the audio that’s coming out. And having met half the cast of the show it furthers the point. It sounds unnatural
I'm guessing most people wouldn't have met the people they're watching so again this seems like a you issue not something you can sit there and say 'always watch the show in the native language, dubbing can never give the show justice'.

Not meaning to have a go at you but I just vehemently disagree with the notion you're missing something crucial by not reading subtitles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back