Streaming The Netflix Thread

Streaming Television
Jan 25, 2013
Deep Inside
AFL Club
Geelong
A couple of new series added to my to binge list.

Nightflyers.
Written by George R.R. Martin before he wrote the Game of Thrones books and adapted to television apparently on the strength of his name alone because two episodes in and I'm not entirely sure how this was green lit.
A sci-fi space drama aboard a ship looking for aliens in order to somehow potentially prevent Earth's extinction. Complete with a telepath, a hologram captain and a woman who can talk to computers. I'll continue as its not exactly bad to this point but it would want to pick up. Its one of those shows that spoil what is going to happen in the opening scene and then spends how ever many episodes getting to that point.
Sci fi and fantasy are usually my jam so it gets the benefit of the doubt for now but like I said it would want to pick up soon.

The Umbrella Academy.
Written by the leader of the black parade and king of Emo himself, My Chemical Romance front man Gerard Way. Or at least adapted from a comic he writes? Not entirely sure. Either way I will look beyond that fact...
Its a people with super power thing. As far as I can tell a bunch of women across the world spontaneously become preggers and shortly after give birth at the same time and the kids they have are all powered. Some old rich dude tries to adopt as many as he can for reasons that are unclear and ends up with like 7 of them.
The story seems to follow the 7 kids to adulthood where chaos ensures.
It looks wacky and unpredictable and maybe even a bit of a head *. Its also MA15+ which means it will highly likely be better than any of the the CW s**t. I'm all in on this one.

Dirty John.
I only watched the preview and from what I can tell it shows a rich woman taking a punt on an online dating site and the man she finds is shrouded in mystery. What exactly are his motives? Tune in to find out, if you dare...
It looks like a psychological drama which isn't normally my thing but I will watch anything with Eric Bana in it (how long has it been since he has been in anything?!) and Juno Temple is one of my favourite people to look at.

There is nothing else new that has caught my eye.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Been trying to watch "Altered carbon" but it seriously sends me to sleep. I mean that literally, I find myself falling asleep and waking up near the end each time i watch it.

The Umbrella Academy is interesting so far of what I've watched.

Ray Barone's comedy special was good, highly recommend it.

Been trying to watch "Altered carbon" but it seriously sends me to sleep. I mean that literally, I find myself falling asleep and waking up near the end each time i watch it.

That's a shame, been meaning to getting around to watching it, is it story/acting/lack of budget?

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns

The Umbrella Academy is interesting so far of what I've watched.

Ray Barone's comedy special was good, highly recommend it.

I had the exact same experience and usually never fall asleep watching tv shows.

The three new Tales of the City books are coming as a ten part series with Laura Linney and Olympia Dukakis reprising their roles as Mary Ann and Anna Madrigal from the original 90s series. It's premiering at the San Francisco Film Festival in early April so should hopefully drop soon after that.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
4 eps into Umbrella Academy, really keeping me intrigued as someone who hasn't read the comics. My wife has read the book and she is still enjoying it as well.

Dragon Prince season 2 out now as well. Really easy show to watch and is a good chilled out viewing.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Umbrella Academy was a bit of a mess, but an entertaining one. Well made and good chemistry between the cast. Some plot points fall a bit flat, especially
the implied relationship between two members of the Academy seems played for romance and doesn’t seem to understand that many in the audience will see that as invest
. It also could do with leaning a bit less into cliche - not every action sequence needs a cheery pop song accompanying it. But overall I enjoyed, particularly thanks to the characters of 3 to 5, who were the most interesting by a wide margin.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Recently watched the Ted Bundy Tapes and Abducted in Plain Sight. Recently been getting into all the True Crime podcasts and documentaries. These two were fairly good.

Both were hard to watch at times. Abducted in Plain Sight even more than the Bundy tapes. Almost wanted to turn off in disgust.

Would recommend both though.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Recently watched the Ted Bundy Tapes and Abducted in Plain Sight. Recently been getting into all the True Crime podcasts and documentaries. These two were fairly good.

Both were hard to watch at times. Abducted in Plain Sight even more than the Bundy tapes. Almost wanted to turn off in disgust.

Would recommend both though.
Yes they were both good.

What true crime podcasts are you listening to?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Back