Streaming The Netflix Thread

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching a show last night called COBRA (Stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room) on BBC First and Meara Reed was in it, Also Beric Dondarrion GOT is in the series as well

Robert Carlyle plays the PM
Meera Reed was in Misfits for a few episodes.

One of the stranger ones I've seen is Barristan Selmy in Derry Girls, with his traditional Irish accent.

It's Jojen Reed from Game of Thrones and Newt from The Maze Runner.
To me he'll always be the dorky kid with the somewhat punchable head in Love Actually, Liam Neeson's son.

He became more tolerable though in the later eps of this show, once he lost the wanky facade with the hat, trench coat, and hunting knife.

To me he'll always be the dorky kid with the somewhat punchable head in Love Actually, Liam Neeson's son.

He became more tolerable though in the later eps of this show, once he lost the wanky facade with the hat, trench coat, and hunting knife.
Like Nicholas Hoult, also playing a dorky kid in About a Boy, which also starred Hugh Grant, Rachel Weisz and Toni Collette, went on to appear in some of the X- Men series, Mad Max: Fury Road, Warm Bodies etc

I watched Queen's Gambit too. I thought it was good, but didn't quite live up to the hype in the end. I guess when your main 'action' scenes are chess matches, it's probably tough to make it too gritty, but it still felt like it was missing that certain something. Not sure how I felt about the final ep and the way things lined up like they did either.

Lead actress in the series, Anya Taylor-Joy is set to star as Furiosa in George Miller’s prequel/spin off to Mad Max, Fury Road, Chris Hemsworth is supposedly on board as well

You had be pumped until Hemsworth. Cardboard cutout who’s talents are literally being handsome and having a deep voice.

What a way to ruin that movie. Hoping you’re wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was fantastic, had to go into Episode 3. Loved this exchange:

"What are you doing?"
"Replaying my earlier games"
"What for?"
"To analyse my weaknesses"
"Are there any?"
"No"
"Good girl" (drinks more wine)

Such a quality show. They don’t make enough TV like that anymore. It didn’t rely on action or a plastic hot cast (even though yes she was hot) or a dumbed down plot so we don’t have to pay much attention.

It was almost cinematic in its approach. Artistic and intense enough that you could love it even without knowing a thing about chess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Nicholas Hoult, also playing a dorky kid in About a Boy, which also starred Hugh Grant, Rachel Weisz and Toni Collette, went on to appear in some of the X- Men series, Mad Max: Fury Road, Warm Bodies etc
I didn’t like Hoult’s character in Skins, even though it was the lead protagonist. Tony was too self centred.
Although he may have improved his acting skills since then, I won’t search out his work.

I didn’t like Hoult’s character in Skins, even though it was the lead protagonist. Tony was too self centred.
Although he may have improved his acting skills since then, I won’t search out his work.
I was going to post this. He was a horrible actor in skins, when he played disabled it might have been the worst acting i have ever seen in my life!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a list of shows I have watched on Netflix before The Queen’s Gambit

Barbarians (German) based on the battle at Teutoburg forest between Germanic people and 3 Roman Legions
La Revolution (French) very loosely based on French Revolution with a Virus twist
The Lake {Russian) Russians fleeing Moscow from infected people
The Barrier (Spanish) Set 25 years in the future after World War 3 and a pandemic
Deadwind (Finnish) Crime thriller series
Dark (German)
Cursed (English) Another take on Merlin, King Arthur
Warrior Nun (Portuguese) Nuns fighting against evil
Curon (Italian) doppelgängers/ set in a town where weird things happen
The Stranger (English) A Stranger passing on secrets to people/ blackmailing
The Valhalla Murders (Icelandic) Crime thriller series
Extracurricular (Korean) Student is basically a pimp to pay for his college fees
Biohackers (German) medical student enrols at biomedical college to find out how and who killed her brother
The Witcher (English)
Lost in Space (English)

Havent bother to list shows I didn’t finish or weren’t renewed after one season

Also probably missed some I have watched

Last edited:
This is a list of shows I have watched on Netflix before The Queen’s Gambits

Barbarians (German)
La Revolution (French)
The Lake {Russian)
The Barrier Spanish)
Deadwind (Finnish)
Dark (German)
Cursed (English)
Warrior Nun (Portuguese)
Curon (Italian)
The Stranger (English
The Valhalla Murders (Icelandic)
Extracurricular (Korean)
Biohackers (German)
The Witcher (English)
Lost in Space (English)

Havent bother to list shows I didn’t finish or weren’t renewed after one season

Also probably missed some I have watched

Top 3 from that list? Looking for something bingeworthy in lockdown

Dazza, what did you reckon to Valhalla Murders? BBC are starting it on Saturday. I wasn't as impressed by Barbarians as you were; I thought it was a poor shadow of Vikings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back