Streaming The Netflix Thread

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting watching Tribes of Europa, german post apocalyptic tv series set in 2074, the guy who play Ulrich in Dark, is in it, The series it’s is in German and English
I switched that on last night.

Dubbed stuff is awful.
Dubbed. They're a lot better at doing it these days. I have nothing against subtitles but I hate missing stuff happening on screen because I'm reading them and in a show like Lupin I would miss stuff.

I have never heard of Omar Sy so have no hang ups about his accent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There were attempts throughout the 1990s in particular to try releasing dubbing of European films to try to get bigger Box Office success in the American markets. By and large they failed, and where movies had dual releases of both dubbed and subtitled versions, the latter won out.
Home viewing is a bit of a different market though. When Netflix were asked about their choice, they said that although people would say in surveys they prefer subtitles their A-B testing showed they were more likely to watch a dub.

I can kind of understand that - a lot of the time when I am watching TV, I'm also doing something else (usually ironing). As a result subtitled shows always sit on my list for longer, because I have to sit down and dedicate my attention to them.

I must admit that dubbing is getting pretty good these days - more than once I've started watching something and it's been a good 20 minutes before I've realised it's supposed to be foreign-language. The problem is, once I notice it's all I can concentrate on.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Home viewing is a bit of a different market though. When Netflix were asked about their choice, they said that although people would say in surveys they prefer subtitles their A-B testing showed they were more likely to watch a dub.

I can kind of understand that - a lot of the time when I am watching TV, I'm also doing something else (usually ironing). As a result subtitled shows always sit on my list for longer, because I have to sit down and dedicate my attention to them.

I must admit that dubbing is getting pretty good these days - more than once I've started watching something and it's been a good 20 minutes before I've realised it's supposed to be foreign-language. The problem is, once I notice it's all I can concentrate on.
Same for me.

Any trailer I see that is dubbed it goes in the do not watch pile.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Same for me.

Any trailer I see that is dubbed it goes in the do not watch pile.

Do you watch old martial arts movies?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah, but with something like Rumble In The Bronx the bad dubbing is part of the attraction
Fair enough. Always have an argument with my mate about that he loves old martial arts movies but refuses to watch dubbed things as well. Each to there own

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair enough. Always have an argument with my mate about that he loves old martial arts movies but refuses to watch dubbed things as well. Each to there own
Yeah it's a funny one, and for me it's probably at least partially a nostalgia thing. Like, I'll always watch the dubbed version of Police Story because that's what I grew up with.

I think it helps that the dialogue isn't super critical in action/martial arts films - dialogue-heavy action films like Infernal Affairs, I'll generally opt for subtitles

There was a documentary released a few years ago called Being George Clooney, about the various voice actors who dub Clooney into different languages. It was really interesting. I imagine a lot of people who grew up with dubbed Clooney films would find the English versions really weird.

Interesting conversation. Good show spinynorman for coming through there. Was expecting some guff based on feels.

I must check out Being George Clooney. Sounds fascinating.

As I said before I have nothing against subtitles if it's the right kind of movie, say a drama.

Dark is a good example of a series I tried to watch with subtitles but couldn't get into. Tried the dubbed version a couple of years later and was sucked in straight away. It's come a long way from chop suey films in the 70s. A lot of the time if I'm not watching their mouths I don't even notice.

Subtitles have been the standard for English speakers watching foreign language stuff for decades, and people have overwhelmingly made clear their preference for them over dubbing. I find it puzzling that Netflix has made dubbing its standard option, rather than the one to opt in to.

american audiences apparently will watch more euro stuff if it’s dubbed

I hate it...agree would have thought at least for Aus they would have made subtitles the default option

american audiences apparently will watch more euro stuff if it’s dubbed

I hate it...agree would have thought at least for Aus they would have made subtitles the default option
They have, haven’t they? I’m sure I’ve changed to subtitles before.

Edit: Misread the post. Yeah, you have to change it manually, but it’s pretty simple to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back