Streaming The Netflix Thread

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I know, subtitles is the default in the UK. I haven't watched anything dubbed since the bad old days of cheapo martial arts movies decades ago! Saying that,I am quite prepared to believe that the technology has improved a bit since then, but I am so used to sub-titles now, i don't think twice. The only problem is that they can be a bit a bit sparse!

As far as I know, subtitles is the default in the UK. I haven't watched anything dubbed since the bad old days of cheapo martial arts movies decades ago! Saying that,I am quite prepared to believe that the technology has improved a bit since then, but I am so used to sub-titles now, i don't think twice. The only problem is that they can be a bit a bit sparse!
I have subtitles as default even with english speaking - more for hearing issues and I am ok with it

What does annoy me is when the subtitles are poor or missing. It takes me out of the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched a few eps of the Chapelle Show, 1st season was in 2004. It really hasn't aged too well. The sexism and misogyny he displays toward women in those old shows were cringeworthy. I saw one sketch where he spent the whole thing telling a woman that the only reason ppl take any notice of her is that she has big breasts. Times have surely changed.

I watched Age of Samurai over the past few nights. Was very good. All about feudal Japan in the 1500's and samurai houses clashing before unification. Some good reenactments as well as input from historians.
I intend watching this, have been interested in that time period ever since I ploughed through James Clavell's Shogun many many years ago

I watched a few eps of the Chapelle Show, 1st season was in 2004. It really hasn't aged too well. The sexism and misogyny he displays toward women in those old shows were cringeworthy. I saw one sketch where he spent the whole thing telling a woman that the only reason ppl take any notice of her is that she has big breasts. Times have surely changed.
A couple of his sketches also blur the line between skewering racism and Uncle Tomming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back