Sep 18, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
TL;DR (summary)
  1. 666 opens up the ground, reduces prominence of flood/pack/scrimmage footy
  2. Kick-In makes it easier to get the ball out of the backline and into space
  3. Enables more run/flow/skills-based footy to be played
  4. Geelong's preferred style of play is very much skills based and we're benefiting from this opportunity
  5. Teams that prefer ugly scrum/rugby style of footy are struggling
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

----------
Something I have noticed this year is that the 666 and Kick-In rules really do suit Geelong's playing style...

For years, we have been a team that does well when we can dominate opportunities from momentum, flow and skills-based passages of play. That is, creating opportunities from runs, short-sharp-passes, creating space, more run, handballs, more run...etc.

The new rules also open up opportunities for one-on-one contests at both ends of the ground and this is when you see highly-skilled players getting the chance to play to their strengths rather than be inhibited by packs of opposition players

And then, of course, there's the centre-clearance dominance. Case-in-point...

----------
This style of play was a key part of our '07 - '11 era of success. Ahh, gotta love watching highlight reels from those days.

The club's training methods obviously place emphasis on run and technical skills.

And when our Cats have the space to run, their skills really do shine through.

----------
On the flipside, we've never really been a team that does well in the long run when the dominant style of play is flood, scrimmage, body-strength, etc.

(side note: Ok, the exceptions there include players like Max Rooke, Darren Milburn, Josh Hunt and Joel Selwood... human wrecking balls, tanks and kamikazes, you've gotta have one or two in a team)

From around 2010 onwards, other teams started figuring out a good counter-strategy to our preferred approach was indeed the pack-based style of footy. Then from 2012 onwards you started seeing that ugly and boring version of AFL-Rugby coming to prominence.

In the first few weeks of this season when the 666 and Kick-In rules have come into effect, teams that loved a good (cuddle) wrestle on the ground aren't doing so well.

----------
Anyway, the new rule for starting positions at centre clearances has opened up the ground and it reduces the frequency of flood/scrimmage/pack footy.

Our beloved Cats are clearly loving this opportunity!

What do you think of the new rules? Do you also think they work in the Cats' favour? What other opportunities does they present us? Anything you think that might be an issue with them?

Last edited:
To be fair Stanley was the better ruckman in the centre hitouts last night which gave us great use.

BUT, while this has improved recently I would say his hitouts usually aren't a huge strength of his game since his turn in form, more his ability to get involved in the contest and take some nice marks. He often loses the hitouts stats, he just happened to be playing a 3 gamer last night.

It was good watching nonetheless, but I wouldn't think he will do that every week against more seasoned players

Don't you mean they have been coached well and have adapted to the new rules.

Good point. Yep, the coaching to this new rule has been well done.

In relative terms, the team has adapted to this new rule very fast. Much faster than they adapted to stoppage-footy over the past several years.

To be fair Stanley was the better ruckman in the centre hitouts last night which gave us great use.

BUT, while this has improved recently I would say his hitouts usually aren't a huge strength of his game since his turn in form, more his ability to get involved in the contest and take some nice marks. He often loses the hitouts stats, he just happened to be playing a 3 gamer last night.

It was good watching nonetheless, but I wouldn't think he will do that every week against more seasoned players
Held his own against Gawn. Grundy too. We were not smashed in that department either game.

Some of it was absolute silver service. Two out the back to Kelly, and of course that Dangerfield SuperGoal were memorable.

It's as though, with the confidence that he would definitely win the hitout, he was able to tap it where he wanted.

Held his own against Gawn. Grundy too. We were not smashed in that department either game.

Not saying he didn't play well. I've been a fan for a while. But he lost the hitout count 53-27 against Gawn, lost by 11 against Grundy too.

I'm just saying that isn't generally Stanley's strength (which is fine because he has other strengths), and maybe that aspect looked better for us last night than in general because he was up against a 3 gamer

Can't do anything if you don't play well and get outrun. I think the OP is on the mark. Our preferred style is open play and 666 will facilitate that, even if marginally, in our favour. Will be interesting to see what Clarko has in store for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to get a few behind-the-scenes insights into the coaching department's views on 666 over the 2018/2019 summer/pre-season...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-18/zip-and-six-chris-scotts-doomsday-warning-to-assistants-revealed

A great example of well thought through strategy and future-thinking, backed up by excellent implementation.

I love these quotes:
'Look, we've got a really tough draw, there's every chance in five weeks we could be sitting there at 0-5

make sure we're galvanised as a group ... understand what we're striving towards ... what we're building towards

And then there's this one:
No matter what happens, let's stick together.

Mate... bloody powerful stuff ... brings a tear to my eye. Truly, not being sarcastic.

Might keep that one in my back pocket for the next time I need to go to couples relationship counselling with the Mrs! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back