The New Bump?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pure Pop

Rookie
Mar 24, 2007
St Kilda
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Didn't see last night's match til a replay tonight so apologies if this has been mentioned. I was really impressed by Bateman's bump on Reid. The ball spilled and Reid was coming in so Bateman crouched low and bumped him with the shoulder into his chest. No risk of head high contact but sat his opposition player down

It gave me hope that the shirtfront isn't gone. Maybe just the execution needs to be adjusted.

...or it was just an accident and I'm reading too much into it

But there was no question of this bump being untoward. Bateman's shoulder went straight into Reid's lower chest and and any reflexive head movement - which is what always causes the suspension, the head clash caused by a bump - caused Bateman's head to hit Reid above the chest but not the head.

Again, I could be reading too much into it and it may be because of the players' respective heights.

Yep it was a great bump. One of the cats managed to put ballantyne on his arse tonight without collecting him high, which takes some doing, and kepler Bradley laid someone out fair and square, too. The bump's not gone, you just can't hit someone in the face when you do it. Which is not a particularly unreasonable.position for the AfL to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back